Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

I just finished the series.

Glokta :hellyeah: He had the best chapters in the book and made the series imo.

I really liked the moral shades of grey with Bayaz. It's hard to put your finger on who the "bad guy" really is. Is it Bayaz for murdering Juvens? Is it Khalul for wanting revenge for the act but breaking the second law in the process? The whole story turns upside down with the Gurkish army offering such generous terms outside the gates of Adua, and paints the Hundred Words into an almost righteous band of good guys. You can't even say Sult was downright evil and malevolent as he was working hard to free the Union of Bayaz's influence.

I'm still absorbing everything, but these books were badass. Gonna start Best Served Cold now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Can someone refresh my memory - Does Abercrombie ever say why Bayaz killed Juvens?

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Regarding the end of The Heroes, in the last scene with Bayaz:

When Yoru was serving Bayaz "Meat" did anyone else feel it was subtly implied that Bayaz was breaking the second law? It seemed like Joe went out of his way to have it described repeatedly only as "meat."

Substar
Jan 21, 2001

Metonymy posted:

Yes, but I don't think it was subtle. He was eating the bodies of the dead. I think we're supposed to get the impression that he stirred all this poo poo up, and then is feasting on the deaths of others. He's a jerk.

So he's officially an Eater, then?