Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The best part? This could be one of maybe six people, I have no loving idea. Abercrombie does great work with characters.

It can only be Glokta, surely? An anti-hero who’s up there with the likes of Hannibal Lecter, and as interesting as all the other FL characters put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

I finished round 2 of Best Served Cold tonight. Is there a backstory to Shenkt that I am forgetting? I know how he refuses to kneel to Bayaz and that he must undo all that he has done. But was there ever a reason why he left Bayaz? Is it purposefully vague or am I just being forgetful?

Just finished BSC myself. Don't think there's any reason given as to why he left Bayaz, though I like the idea of an Eater/magic user as a third faction. Can't be just Bayaz, Khalul and their respective followers after all.
On a related note, is Ishri/the East Wind the most powerful named Eater of Khalul's now that Mamum is dead? Was there any reason why she wasn't with the Hundred Words when they confronted Bayaz?

That aside, after resding BSC and The Heroes, I really hope that we get something other than killers with a jet black cynical outlook who are out for revenge in Red Country. In the First Law trilogy, we had characters like West, the Dogman and Yulwei who seemed more or less decent, and who balanced out the likes of Ferro and Logen. In BSC/Heroes, it's nothing but Ferro and Logen types all the time, all turned up to 11.

And Bayaz really needs to have some of setback. When you think that he and Khalul are using pretty well the entire world as a chessboard in a pissing match to see who's best, they're both colossal arseholes.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

tweekinator posted:

And I don't believe Bayaz engineered the Tanner's rebellion. He needed it to end for the Union to fight the Gurkish, and so he ended it in the most advantageous way possible for him.

I though the whole peasant rebellion was planned by Bayaz purely to give Jezal more prestige? After all, Yoru Sulfer was playing the role of the Tanner, and if Sulfur is involved, you can be sure Bayaz is pulling the strings.

Given that Yoru Sulfur acted the part

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I’ve never been particularly realistic.

Like the “say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he’s a oval office. Simple as that.”, it’s a great payoff line.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

UncleMonkey posted:

She almost does. But West shows up in time to stop it and throws Ladisla off of a cliff in one of my all time favorite moments in all of the books so far. It's how he earns his name..

Wasn't that actually in the fight immediately beforehand, when he bites someone's nose off?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Stubb Dogg posted:

Just finished Red Country. Say one thing for this book, say it was definitely influenced by Deadwood and spaghetti westerns.

Bastard!

You had me running off to amazon as I couldn't remember what the release date was other than sometime this month, only to be disappointed.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Kellanved posted:

Well, that was a good book.

spoilers ahead! for the people who like reading spoilers, this is about some of the characters from the trilogy and the other two books.
So Cosca's gone now, his death scene was sad but he was getting a bit too pathetic, there wasn't much left in him. I'm not clear on this, what happened to Friendly at the end?
Carlot dan Eider is the Mayor of a frontier town, she just survives everything Abercrombie can throw at her. :)
Ninefingers is probaly back in the game for the next trilogy, I'm pretty hyped about Bayaz getting a bit of payback in the future.
Not much about Monza in this book, she apparently succeeded in unifying Styria, Zacharius(?) made a few appearances, nothing about Ferro or Jezal. Glokta seems to be doing well as the head of the Union - everyone is terrified of him.

Did not like this book as much as Best Served Cold or The Heroes, it was a bit too chaotic for my taste but it's still worth a read or two.

Just finished it. First half felt pretty slow, but picked up nicely in the second half.

Is there a trilogy next? Hopefully itll be about glokta, bayaz, and the rest all scheming again if it is, but i'm not sure about logen being in it. He feels a bit played out now, and getting to ride off somewhere at the end feels a bit unsatisfying. I was pretty sure that he would be dead by the end, especially since Shivers was hunting for him and is the only character who could plausibly kill logen in a straight fight.

As for Bayaz, I was surprised that he or yoru sulfur or even Ikri didn't turn up at all. I thought they'd have been doing something behind the scenes. Why do you think he'll be getting a bit of payback though?

Friendly is a bit of a loose end (maybe he went back to prison?), and Carlot dan eider does indeed have a knack for coming out on top of things.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Potter
He made pots and he seemed damned proud of that fact. Dow had always seemed kind of young Ian McShane mixed with a pointy nosed troll.

I don't know how it got stuck in my head but Logen Ninefingers looks exactly like this:

but with more scars.

That's not bad, though there's a sculpture of logen on joe Abercrombie's website that is pretty close to my idea of him (could do with a couple more scars though).
http://www.joeabercrombie.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LogenNinefingersColored.jpg

For Dow, Ray Stevenson (Titus pullo in Rome) might work:
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Titus-Pullo.gif

As for Shivers, what colour is hair meant to be? I seem to remember it being described as black when he first appears in TFL, but all the pictures I've seen have him as blond.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

savinhill posted:

I think Logen acted the way he did there because it was one of the first times in about a decade that he didn't have to swallow his pride and back down to avoid confrontation, when his natural instincts are completely the opposite of this from his lifetime as a fighting man in the North, especially one as respected and feared as he was. He had so much pent up rage and frustration that he was finally getting to release.

Yeah, pretty much this. One thing that I think pointed to the Bloody Nine being possession in Red Country was when Logen was fighting the Dragon People on that bridge and he was about to start attacking Shy and his stepkids too, until others interfered. Say what you want about how much of a violent prick he is, but I don't think Logen would want to kill children he loved and raised.

I'd say that the only difference between Logen in TFL and RC is that he's accepted that he's the Bloody Nine and revels in it rather than fight it. There's a scene in the book where he says to Shy that when he first saw the burnt out farm and the missing kids that his first emotion was joy rather than shock or anger, since he didn't have to pretend to be Lamb any more. Plus he does quite a few stone cold things when he's not the Bloody Nine that TFL Logen probably wouldn't have done, like try to hang the outlaw from the bar, kill all those Ghosts after agreeing terms, and put the fear of God into the leader of the Dragon People.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Chomposaur posted:

I thought his big turning point was after that whole long quest where he takes Jezal under his wing, has a thing with Ferro, starts thinking maybe he doesn't have to be the Bloody Nine... then gets back to the city and promptly heads back to war again. I don't remember the entire context of that decision, but I don't think there was anything forcing him.

I think that was entirely due to him and Ferro being too stubborn to say anything more than "bye!" to each other when they step off the ship in Adua. Ferro stays with Bayaz and he goes North again.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Why wouldn’t they be looking? GOT us wrapping up real soon.

E:Hahaha, I just checked and it looks likely that the entire GOT tv series will have run in the time GRRM takes to Go to conventions, watch football, eat a truckload of lemon pies, and not write Winds of Winter.. That’s amazing.

FTFY.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

You’re crazy. That was my favorite.

Calder is the best character in the book.

Wonder if we’ll see him in the new book...

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I definitely like Heroes more overall but glama golden's chapter in red country slays me.

Don’t forget his fight against Lamb in the ring, when he finds out that he’s about to go back to the mud.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is the one I meant - did he have another?

Ah, thought you meant the earlier chapter where he talks to Shy/goes to the barbers.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Spoilers for the whole book ahead!

It’s a changing of the guard for sure.

- Anyone else wondering if Bayaz was behind Jezal’s sudden death?
- I’m curious about what’s going on in the Gurkish Empire if Khalul seems to have vanished? Is Ferro still around killing Eaters?
- Any theories on the Weaver? Wouldn’t be Bayaz revisiting the Tanner scheme from the first trilogy, but to build Orso up instead, would it?
- Dammit, why did it have to be Wonderful! :( And Clover just seems like a younger version of Craw from The Heroes until that last bit (is Craw still around?). Just how many people is Abercrombie going to write as having held a shield at the Ninefingers/Fenris fight anyway?!
-Broad seems a bit too much like Shivers in the first half of BSC, with the barely controlled anger. Or Friendly. Similarly, the young characters all feel like ones we’ve seen in the other books. Only Rikke feels especially new, and that perhaps only because of her Long Eye.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Suxpool posted:

shes just trying to catch a peek of a tiddy because she can't openly whore around with random women

Isn’t it a bit of an open secret though? Monza knew, and it’s likely a lot of other people know too, with Jezal just being not quick enough to realise. Can’t remember if it was implied or stated that Prince Orso knows too.

And on a related matter, is Orso the only kid Jezal and Terez had? Didn’t Glokta coerce her to have 3 or 4 as backups and to cement political alliances?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Shy South and Temple are the obvious ones.
Monza maybe. Unites Styria, gets her revenge, but her brother gets killed and she’s permanently injured and in some pain.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Ccs posted:

Zuri is a constant companion to Savine, there’s no way someone like that wouldn’t have noticed if she was unable to eat most foods (Eaters have to keep specific diets) plus I don’t think that’s the direction Abercrombie is going with the character. As another poster said, possible Zuri and her brothers are Eaters. Possible they’re agents for Khalul. It does seem like something is being planned for Zuri, but I hope that’s not it.

There’s a hint Tolomei is back in play too if you paid attention to what the red haired woman jokes about Bayaz.

Yep, I’m expecting Tolomei to reappear after the stuff about the House of the Maker being opened and a Great Change. If you want a a Great Change in the First Law world, you’re going to end up fighting Bayaz and Yoru Sulfur, and you’ll need other magic users for that. And it’s not just Tolomei locked in the Makers House. Yulwei may still be alive in there, and now carrying a grudge against Bayaz after finding out that he lied to him about Tolomei and then abandoned him.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I’m almost halfway through TWOC and I’m pretty sure that Rikke falling out with the Nail and Isern is just a trick to lure Calder into a trap and/or reveal Corleth as a spy (I can’t actually remember what her backstory is).

As for Pike, I’m trying to work out what his angle is. Is he working to his own agenda, or is he carrying out some scheme of Glokta’s to break the power of Bayaz? There have been hints that the master plan is to break the seals between the worlds and bring Euz back…

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

The problem with the union is the more modern it becomes the less interesting it also becomes. Perhaps not really a spoiler that.

The same thing happened in the Discworld series too. By the end, a full industrial revolution was underway with the railway and those perpetual motion things they found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
After reading the final chapter, I’m just wondering who the blonde girl that Rikke sees in her vision is meant to be. The black haired boy is obviously Calder’s son, but the girl is puzzling me, particularly because Calder’s son would presumably be used to bring the north back under Bayaz’s control and I’d have thought she’d be used for the same purpose in the Union, but she seems instead to be causing problems in the north. Not to mention that she’d probably have to be connected to the royal line in some way too.

Hemp Knight fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 29, 2021