Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I started Best Served Cold today at work (boring receptionist job) and that poo poo had me hooked immediately. I just plowed through the first 100 pages. I like how it's basically fantasy Kill Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

And they're easy, fast reads. I don't read nearly as much as I used to, but I still got through the trilogy pretty quickly - quicker than I get through most books these days.

It's not like Malazan or something where it's sort of complex and you need to read it a bit slower so that you can absorb all the information being thrown at you.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I just found out Abercrombie is going to be at New York Comic Con this weekend and I'm pretty excited because I was already planning on attending. I want to bring Best Served Cold for him to sign but I can't find the dust jacket anywhere. Is it tacky if I show up with a hardcover book without the cover at the signing? I don't think my paperbacks of the trilogy are in good enough condition to have him sign either.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Oh okay, cool. Thanks. I've never gotten a book signed before so I didn't know what was appropriate.

edit: I'm going to thank him for writing fantasy that I don't have to be embarrassed to say I read.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Oh okay, cool. Thanks. I've never gotten a book signed before so I didn't know what was appropriate.

edit: I'm going to thank him for writing fantasy that I don't have to be embarrassed to say I read.

So I met him and he was super nice and he seemed genuinely happy and appreciative to have fans. He smiled real big at the "thanks for writing fantasy that I don't have to be embarrassed to say I read" thing. Also his accent was pretty :swoon:

My husband (who doesn't like fantasy) was shocked to see how little Abercrombie looks like a fantasy author. I was like "oh poo poo, there's Joe Abercrombie" and he thought I was pointing to the neckbeard standing next to him.

We need more Abercrombies in this genre.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

In case anyone's interested, here's a panel from this past weekend with Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Jim Butcher, Peter V. Brett, Deborah Harkness, and Naomi Novik:

http://vimeo.com/15695484 (part 1)
http://vimeo.com/15696007 (part 2)

Recommended for fantasy nerds in general. There's a lot of talk about the direction fantasy is taking these days.

edit: In the second part he talks about GRRM being an influence on him. This doesn't surprise me.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 13, 2010

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I haven't read Heroes yet because I'm finishing up this Locke Lamorra stuff, but I really liked that the technology in the trilogy and BSC were a little bit past medieval level - a little beyond the average level of most fantasy.

There was a lot of description in BSC of propaganda posters and we don't even see something as simple as the printing press in most fantasy. It's pretty lame that most fantasy has to be either traditional and medieval or super modern and urban.

I like this sort of in-between place that Abercrombie takes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Crosspost from The Bad Thread:

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Here's video of my boy Joe Abercrombie interviewing GRRM. Seeing these two side by side is kinda funny on its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyG1BiArd4&feature=related