Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

powderific posted:

I don't know what your market is like but where I'm at good editors are harder to find than shooters and IDGAF if the editor I hire can shoot too. Of the three main editors I hire only one of them shoots regularly too and it doesn't make him any more attractive than the other two. Not saying it doesn't make sense in your situation, but I wouldn't discount getting hired just to edit.

Yeah, it's just I don't really have a portfolio because most of my past work was school projects that have since been lost to the mists of time. The only other stuff I actually have currently is a machinima I put together. How should I advertise myself then, just post on craigslist or something? I'm pretty familiar with Premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Offer to do some free profile videos for businesses. After you have one or two, keep offering to do videos, but tell the business owners that they don't have to pay until after you've produced something and they can decide if they like it. (they'll always buy it)

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

BeavisNuke posted:

Offer to do some free profile videos for businesses. After you have one or two, keep offering to do videos, but tell the business owners that they don't have to pay until after you've produced something and they can decide if they like it. (they'll always buy it)

Sure. Worst case scenario, I can pitch doing a video to promote the program I'm enrolled in at my college - there's already some video production stuff going on here so it shouldn't be too hard to convince them, even if what I'm in isn't actually video.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Yeah, it's just I don't really have a portfolio because most of my past work was school projects that have since been lost to the mists of time. The only other stuff I actually have currently is a machinima I put together. How should I advertise myself then, just post on craigslist or something? I'm pretty familiar with Premiere.

Fiver is a good place to start. It's five bucks for a basic thing but you can negotiate more stuff for more money.

I am hoping I can get an editing job when I get out of the Army. I can do basic to intermediate work on premiere and photoshop, need a lot more practice with AE.

My word of advice, is do NOT misunderstand what sound can do for you. Filming people running? Put the lab mic down by the track to get good clean audio of them running and splice it in. Someone hammering an anvil? Same thing. Sound will absolutely take away from your video if you think about it as secondary. Also, if you are narrating, make sure to let the sound come through periodically throughout the video (nat sound pops). It helps break up the story and adds so much more flavor. Fade your cuts, and typically I will use just one clips audio for a sequence of shots to stop the jarring fading and fading to new clips every time it switches shots.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Do any of you use Nikon D810's for video? I'm upgrading my cameras in the next couple of months, and I think I'm going to dip my toe into video by shooting a bit of video for promos and 30 second clips on youtube or whatever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use a D800 and D750 for lots of video. The D750 is quite a lot better than the D800 thanks to the new color profile, tilty screen, 1080 60p, and just general image improvements. I've been shooting video with the D800 pretty much since it launched though. Not sure how many of the D750's image improvements carrid over into the D810 other than the the new color profile. Anything specific you want to know?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

red19fire posted:

Do any of you use Nikon D810's for video? I'm upgrading my cameras in the next couple of months, and I think I'm going to dip my toe into video by shooting a bit of video for promos and 30 second clips on youtube or whatever.
I use the D800 for video fairly regularly. It's pretty solid, but moire can be an issue with rough textures and fine patterns. The D810 has better processing on the back end and does better with moire, but still isn't perfect (although that's probably not an issue unless you're shooting people in wool suits all day). The "flat" color profile and 1080/60p video on the D810 are welcome improvements, too.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

red19fire posted:

I was pretty happy with my D810's video when I got the camera, but I recently got an Atomos Ninja Blade to pull uncompressed video off the camera's HDMI port and I'm even more impressed with the results. This random cat footage started out as a flat picture control file with a little extra sharpening in camera before it went out to the Ninja, and I think it graded beautifully in Final Cut Pro (for what it is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoNY8TDU-0k

After using the Blade's focus peaking and scopes, the D810 on its own feels sort of lacking as a video camera. At least the Blade isn't that expensive an add-on.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think I'm leaning towards the d750, it's basically perfect for what I need from a still/video camera. That looks like solid footage. I'm working on building up a cage system with an arm for a monitor, top handle, LED panel, and handheld grips, with the option to expand to a shoulder mounted rail system.

I'm also tempted to lose my mind and go blackmagic CC 2.5k because I hate money :homebrew:

What's a good free/cheap editing system?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

I think I'm leaning towards the d750, it's basically perfect for what I need from a still/video camera. That looks like solid footage. I'm working on building up a cage system with an arm for a monitor, top handle, LED panel, and handheld grips, with the option to expand to a shoulder mounted rail system.

I'm also tempted to lose my mind and go blackmagic CC 2.5k because I hate money :homebrew:

What's a good free/cheap editing system?

Don't go for the BMCC. It's a good camera, but can have more peripheral costs than a DSLR.

Also if you're using a high end DSLR or BMCC you're going to want more than a "free/cheap" editing system. Go Premiere Pro CC... it's $20/month.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What about Resolve? It's free (unless you really need the pro features)!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Popelmon posted:

What about Resolve? It's free (unless you really need the pro features)!

Oh I forgot Resolve 12 added NLE features!

I'm not sure if any of that's neutered in the free version, but definitely worth a look.

I will say that Resolve, for as awesome as it is, has a bit of a steep learning curve for the interface. (or at least 11 did for me)...but it's pretty drat powerful.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Oh I forgot Resolve 12 added NLE features!

I'm not sure if any of that's neutered in the free version, but definitely worth a look.

I will say that Resolve, for as awesome as it is, has a bit of a steep learning curve for the interface. (or at least 11 did for me)...but it's pretty drat powerful.

I looked at resolve, looks like a similar interface to Capture One, so I'm in. Maybe I can find one of those dongles for cheap on ebay.

For lenses, I'm going to probably use the 24-70 I already have, but if I need to do photo/video double duty, should I track down a 35/2D and a 50/1.8D for video? I feel like those are solid primes for photo so they should be OK for video too, right?

VV: I NEED IT :spergin:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 8, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't like editing in Resolve but the free version isn't missing anything you'd want. They have a comparison page. Look at that.

Focus on the D lenses isn't so nice for video. I've certainly used my 35 1.8d on video stuff before, but I'd rather have the newer G lenses since the focus ring is actually dampened. The G series 50 is only $50 more anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

red19fire posted:

I looked at resolve, looks like a similar interface to Capture One, so I'm in. Maybe I can find one of those dongles for cheap on ebay.

You don't need a dongle for the free version!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to get a DSLR for video, but I'm going to wait for the 5Dmk4 which might have the 70D's autofocus. The OP is a bit outdated.

While the 70D is good, it's still not on par with a dedicated video camera. The focus is smooth but it's not butter smooth. So I've decided I want a dedicated video camera. Is there a place or thread on SA where we talk about these things?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you mean by dedicated video camera? Like, camcorders, cinema cameras, ENG stuff, etc.? Cause I don't see why the body itself would affect focus at all other than video autofocus, which very few cameras do well at all. Canon seems to have the best with the Dual Pixel AF, but the next step up from a 70D would be a C100/C300.

Edit: I guess the most general thread would be the Cinematography one.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, cameras that specialize in taking video. I think Americans use the term camcorder, other people call them video cameras, you get the idea.

The body on a DSLR has the focus logic in it. The 70D is a crop camera, it's not full frame. If you want video autofocus in a full frame, there is nothing on the market right now from Canon or Nikkon.

I'll check out the Cinematography thread.

edit: could you please link me? I searched but I haven't found it yet.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 15, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Honestly you're always going to have a difficult time of this with any cinema cameras, large sensors make it difficult for AF systems and lenses to keep up and that's the reason why sports and news rely on smaller sensor cameras for live coverage of events.

If you're looking for something portable with decent AF, you're pretty much stuck with 1/3" or 1/4" sensors.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144982 (it's in creative convention—not the dorkroom specifically)

There aren't any full frame video cameras of the style you're describing with decent autofocus as far as I'm aware. C100 and C300 are Super 35, and when I think camcorder I think small sensor, built in lens things that don't have that great of autofocus either. Some of the Sony full frame mirroless cameras have phase detect autofocus but I'm not sure it's any better than what you'd get on a 70D. And those are also stills bodies.

I get that the body is where the autofocus logic is. It's just that most people who shoot video are gonna be doing focus manually. You aren't going to get much talk about autofocus in video other than as a nice to have thing that can be handy, especially since the Canon C cameras with dual pixel AF are the only ones you can somewhat trust it to not gently caress up.

What price range are you looking at? What are you shooting and what are you thinking you want to do better?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Apparently handicams now come in 1/2.4" sizes; that's actually pretty neat considering a couple years ago the only way to get a camcorder with that sensor size was to buy something in the Sony broadcast division.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FDRAX53-Video-Recording-Camcorder/dp/B01950TCEU/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1458002682&sr=1-4&keywords=sony

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not looking for a full frame video camera, what I wanted was to get a full frame DSLR that I could also shoot a lot of video with. That thing just doesn't exist right now, not from the brands I want and I'll wait for the 5Dmk4.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I used a 5dmII with magic lantern for years. Manual focus is pretty easy to do with ML's peaking, picture in picture focus, and some glass with a good focus ring. If this is your first foray into video work, the economy of it is hard to beat.

However, I recently switch all my video work to a sony fs5 and it's loving perfect. Everything I want and need in a small package. Not a lot of external anything, just a simple grab and go rig.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's more than I want to spend (the FS5).

I just went a talked to a guy, I'm keen to hear your opinions.

The Canon XC10 is an interesting thing, it's like a baby C100. With a one inch sensor the image quality is apparently excellent. It's in a DSLR form-factor which is a bit strange. It does 4K and uses SD cards, and they throw in a CFAST 128GB card with it.

But.. then I saw the XF range.

The XF100 does 1080p and uses CF cards. Apparently the CF cards are more common with the professional level kit. It has two card slots and the XLR connectors for proper audio. It uses much bigger batteries than the XC10.

Basically, the XC10 seems like the glitzy consumer model with 4k res and taking SD cards, but the XF series more orientated to taking more useful video. It's easier to hold, had better inbuilt mics and supports external connections beyond a 3.5 inch jack, has a hood around the lens with an inbuilt lens cap, what looks to be a bigger screen, etc. It's just bigger and more like a traditional camcorder/broadcast camera than the compactness of the XC10.

They both cost around the same. They recommended the Manfrotto 755 tripod with either.

Anyone got some insight into either camera line, or good competitors to it?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 15, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

That's more than I want to spend (the FS5).

I just went a talked to a guy, I'm keen to hear your opinions.

The Canon XC10 is an interesting thing, it's like a baby C100. With a one inch sensor the image quality is apparently excellent. It's in a DSLR form-factor which is a bit strange. It does 4K and uses SD cards, and they throw in a CFAST 128GB card with it.

But.. then I saw the XF range.

The XF100 does 1080p and uses CF cards. Apparently the CF cards are more common with the professional level kit. It has two card slots and the XLR connectors for proper audio. It uses much bigger batteries than the XC10.

Basically, the XC10 seems like the glitzy consumer model with 4k res and taking SD cards, but the XF series more orientated to taking more useful video. It's easier to hold, had better inbuilt mics and supports external connections beyond a 3.5 inch jack, has a hood around the lens with an inbuilt lens cap, what looks to be a bigger screen, etc. It's just bigger and more like a traditional camcorder/broadcast camera than the compactness of the XC10.

They both cost around the same. They recommended the Manfrotto 755 tripod with either.

Anyone got some insight into either camera line, or good competitors to it?

If you're looking for a "dedicated video camera" instead of a DSLR, I can recommend the Panasonic P2HD quite handsomely. It's good, the OIC is pretty handy and the difference is noticable when you're not using it.

As of DSLRs, I understand you wanting full frame and originally came here to post about my 70D but man, I love it. I took some video of my kids playing on the playground outside our house and the autofocus was super good, the stm lens made things super quiet during the process too. The flip display is super handy, especially if you don't have a monitor or something on a rig that you'll need without that added part. That and it's touch screen so it lets me rack focus nicely between subjects. I haven't tried Magic Lantern with it yet, and honestly haven't even upgraded the firmware since I opened it. Everything stock is absolutely fantastic. In fact it's too the point where if I had the option to use that or the Panasonic P2HD I use for work, I'd use the 70D. For one, I'll be shooting in 720 60p regardless because the P2HD can't reach p but still does 1080i, and the ability to seamlessly go to photo if I need to, and not have a big bulky tripod/camera to lug around is helpful on my legs.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I went with the Sony PXW X70. I actually got HXR NX100 and I took it back and paid a $200 restocking fee to swap it for the X70. The NX100 is much larger and heavier and that's before you get to the modernity improvements such as wifi and being 4k ready. Being a camera in the Sony professional range things like auto-focus, the noise the lens makes, the format it records in, the smoothness of zoom for pans, the excellent image stabilization for when you're just walking around rather than using a tripod.. and so much more are the things I was talking about when I meant a 'dedicated video camera'. Sure the 70D is cool, but it's just not the tool if video is what you intend to really focus on.

The thread basically said this already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mFBoo4jvKo

I use Premiere Pro, on a PC and it eats Sony's X-AVCHD just fine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

That looks really nice. I used to have to use Ikegami so I'm all aware on heavy and bulky and wanting to avoid it. Still that's really nice.

And you're right, get a video if that's your main vocation. Maybe because it's new that I'm all googly eyed about my 70D, which I've owned for a year and just now have tested the video out. I personally like the depth of field that DSLR gives because Im always struggling to get decent interview shots and unless they are in a field or something, it's always tough to get.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006
Not sure if anyone's interested, but I'm selling a new CFast 2.0 card on SA Mart if you're in the market for that sort of thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771433

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So I have a question concerning SD cards. Is there a noticeable dip in performance going from a regular SD to a micro SD. Same class 10 mb/s lower than regular SD.

Just curious really.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

New question.

I'll be more than likely videotaping a soccer game here soon. I have a 70D with a Tamron 70-300, but plan on using the kit 15-120 STM that it came with because it's super quiet and nice. I also have a rode condensor mic that will work pretty nicely.

Other than making sure my SD cards are in working order and big enough, what are some pointers I can get to make sure it doesn't turn out like poo poo?

I don't plan on zooming in much and kkeeping it fairly like you'd see on TV. I don't have a tripod sadly, but I do have a Monopod. I'm hoping that I can buy one before the game so I won't be sad and off balance.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Alright I bit the bullet and have a pretty solid setup now. All i need now is something to point the camera at :v:

D750 on a smallrig with a ninja monitor, and I just picked up a phantom 4. With 1k and 4k video as sources, will it look weird in editing? I'm mainly just going to be editing for youtube, I think.

Does anyone have recommendations for like how-to videos on making documentaries or web series on a single camera & low budget? I want to do a kind of day-in-the-life thing for athletes in a niche sport for which I shoot photos.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the new gear. I shot a piece with mixed footage between a D750 and Inspire that I think cut together OK. The color on the Inspire was a lot tougher to work with, and the footage seemed kinda over sharpened. Not sure if it was settings or inherent to the camera as the footage was from someone else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

Congrats on the new gear. I shot a piece with mixed footage between a D750 and Inspire that I think cut together OK. The color on the Inspire was a lot tougher to work with, and the footage seemed kinda over sharpened. Not sure if it was settings or inherent to the camera as the footage was from someone else.

First thing to do when you get a DJI drone/camera is go in and lower the sharpening :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely, but the drone setup was unfortunately out of my control—only got to direct the shots. It turned out allright anyway and the client was happy; at the end here: https://vimeo.com/127055256

• Locked thread