Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I watched a bit of the Vincent Laforet broadcast, and was shocked to see how much differently a video tripod was built. They've got a whole different use, and I was like, great, so nothing really shares between video and still.

Well its really dependant on what you're shooting.

If you have a lot of static shots and not too many fast pans you can use a photo camera (you don't want wind either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I think it depends on the usage. If I'm starting and stopping the recording a lot then it would be nice to have decent audio already tied into the clip and not have to spend the time syncing in post. Maybe in the D3100s its a case of not having enough space to put it in.

Theres that plugin where you record on an external recorder and just use the inbult mic and it will take both the sound files and automatically sync it in based on what has been recorded by the inbuilt mic.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

pwn posted:

I need this, what is it??

edit: please

This is the one
http://www.singularsoftware.com/pluraleyes.html

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Note I haven't used it.

I've just seen it mentioned in many blogs about people who say its great.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a typical focal length commonly used in movies? I'm going to try my new T2i tomorrow and want to take only one lens with me, to not end up being a pack mule (have to carry lots of other things). I kinda want to use my 30mm Sigma, but with 50mm effective, I feel like I might gimp myself. I'm going to film mountain bikes jumping off various constructions.

Kind of the same for your typical photography primes. 85, 50, 35, 24/28 etc.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

ease posted:

Is he talking about a dolly zoom or something?

Focus pulling, to my understanding, is taking a tape measure and figuring out what your focus should be. Isn't it only viable for cine lenses that have very accurate graduations?

Focus pulling in general pretty much just means focusing the lens. So whether thats just using your hand to guess it. Or meauring it out. Or using a focus motor or whatever....

But yes its much easier to do it on something like a zeiss lens than a canon camera lens because A) Theres more rotation between close and infinite and B) The lens STOPS rotating when it hits either end so you can actually put a mark on the lens. The canon/Nikon lenses will keep rotating which will ruin the mark.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I bought a 7D because I wanted to do video at some point, and I've got a guy who might be interested in paying me to film him doing street magic for a day, but I'd like to get some audio besides the in-cam mic. Right now the most cost effective plan seems to be getting an h4n and using that as the external mic and then using an mp3 player to play 20hz noise to override the auto gain on the 7D and then syncing them.

Anyone know how the gently caress I would set this up? I found a guy who did it, and he's got a picture of the setup, but he doesn't explain any of the details. Is it all as simple as just plugging Plug A into Slot B or are there some tricks to it?

Use the h4n and sync in post using pluraleyes. Its dead simple. Although just be weary that with the h4n the range of the mics might be limited which can be difficult if you are shooting outside. You will get a wider area covered rather than being able to target a subject directly like some mics can do.

Although this might be good depending on what you are shooting (im not sure. I switch between using the onboard mics on the h4n and using other mics all the time)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

A5H posted:

I shot video on my 7D for the first time ever yesterday. The result was sort of aliased. As in, there was jagged edges. Is this normal? What did I do wrong?

Did you shoot against bricks or chequered flooring or a striped shirt or anything patterned like that?

That causes a moire effect which can be taken to look similar...

Or was it just everywhere?

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If you want a deadcat for the zoom or tascam (using the connected mics) then check out these.

http://www.redheadwindscreens.com/

I haven't used it in really really strong wind yet but its quite amazing for the $30 it cost me.

Especially considering some of the manufacturer deadcats are a god drat rip off (I ""borrowed"" them from uni :D)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rent one. If you live in a sizeable city then there should be production places where renting a decent camera and tripod will not set you back much. You dont need a DSLR for that. You will most like be filming at a smaller aperture anyway to account for the person moving in and out of focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Also depends on where the cameras placed. Because if its a 5x5 foot box then even sticking it in the top corner its going to need to be really wide to get everything if the dancer is moving around.

NEED MORE SPECIFICS!

• Locked thread