Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

Do any of you use Nikon D810's for video? I'm upgrading my cameras in the next couple of months, and I think I'm going to dip my toe into video by shooting a bit of video for promos and 30 second clips on youtube or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I think I'm leaning towards the d750, it's basically perfect for what I need from a still/video camera. That looks like solid footage. I'm working on building up a cage system with an arm for a monitor, top handle, LED panel, and handheld grips, with the option to expand to a shoulder mounted rail system.

I'm also tempted to lose my mind and go blackmagic CC 2.5k because I hate money :homebrew:

What's a good free/cheap editing system?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Oh I forgot Resolve 12 added NLE features!

I'm not sure if any of that's neutered in the free version, but definitely worth a look.

I will say that Resolve, for as awesome as it is, has a bit of a steep learning curve for the interface. (or at least 11 did for me)...but it's pretty drat powerful.

I looked at resolve, looks like a similar interface to Capture One, so I'm in. Maybe I can find one of those dongles for cheap on ebay.

For lenses, I'm going to probably use the 24-70 I already have, but if I need to do photo/video double duty, should I track down a 35/2D and a 50/1.8D for video? I feel like those are solid primes for photo so they should be OK for video too, right?

VV: I NEED IT :spergin:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 8, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Alright I bit the bullet and have a pretty solid setup now. All i need now is something to point the camera at :v:

D750 on a smallrig with a ninja monitor, and I just picked up a phantom 4. With 1k and 4k video as sources, will it look weird in editing? I'm mainly just going to be editing for youtube, I think.

Does anyone have recommendations for like how-to videos on making documentaries or web series on a single camera & low budget? I want to do a kind of day-in-the-life thing for athletes in a niche sport for which I shoot photos.

• Locked thread