Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I'm not a Canon shooter so I'm not going to be as informative as others might be, but Magic Lantern let's you record in higher bit rates for better image quality and gives you more video-friendly on-screen options like histograms and peaking, IIRC. It doesn't alter your camera's internal firmware (you just load it on whatever SD/CF card you're using and it works), so there's no harm in trying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Mathturbator posted:

Not sure where to post this question, but here goes.

I've decided I need a camcorder. I've got a DSLR, but I hate the ergonomics for handheld, and then there's the focusing issue. So I want something that will grow with me as I learn, and I don't mind spending a bit extra to get something that produces clean, sharp images (without paying for pro). I'll use it to film events, making short movies for the web - mostly handheld.

I don't know much about video, but when I start learning something I'm usually all in, so I definitely want manual controls.

I've been looking at reviews and test footage, and the Canon XF100 seems to fit the bill, as it balances size, cost, quality and availability. Any other cameras I should be looking at before ordering? Will I regret getting the XF100?

Low light performance is not going to be anywhere near what you're used to with DSLRs since you'd be stepping down to a 1/3" chip. Other than that, I've been pretty pleased with the XF series for event filming and news gathering.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

If InternetJunky situation is anything like mine, much of the time the only thing the onboard mic picks up is the sound of me due to the hide/blind acting as a sound insulator. At some point I need to pick up something on a lead just so I can stick it outside the hide.

I gather that if you watch a professional wildlife documentary by the BBC or somebody, a lot of sound accompanying footage shot with a long telephoto is going to be from elsewhere.

Yeah, most wildlife documentaries make liberal use of foley audio. Even with a shotgun mic, it's very hard to get usable audio from birds unless they're pretty close to you and/or very loud. I usually don't bother with a mic unless I know I'm going to be in a situation like that. Of course, there's occasionally an unexpected situation where a raptor lands fifteen feet front of you and screams and you have nothing to record it with...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 11, 2014

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

GH3 and A7 are the only 60fps capable cameras at 1080, I think. Beyond that you'd need a FS700 which is way beyond the price of any regular DSLR body, or an actual pro camera like the F5 or a Red which can all do way higher than 60fps.

The Nikon d5300 and d3300 have added 1080/60p as well.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

XTimmy posted:

Anyone had this sort of issue with 5dmk2 footage before?

It's only popped up once, in this one clip, but it does so twice and this is the first time it's happened. I can't get it to replicate so I'm not overly worried, but if it's a clearly defined sign of the sensor or CPU dying I'd like to know.

Do you now for sure it's the footage? I've had Premiere do stuff like that to my projects before.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

the_lion posted:

Just wondering: not an expert on continuous lights but I bought some more CRI 90 bulbs on ebay for my dslr shoots (based on previous questions-thanks a heap for advice!) and they came today (yeah, I know they're cheap but they suit my purposes).

A few of them are different lengths (ie shorter), but the same wattage. Will this make any difference?
My guess is yes, because it's distributed over less area. They're 125w, if that matters.

Planning to chuck them in a 4xbulb softbox.

If you're using a decent amount of diffusion or a bounce, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I've been using a D800 for low/no budget jobs, web video and as a B-cam for documentary shoots. ISO800 is very clean and ISO1600 has very minor grain that cleans up nicely in post, so low-light shooting should be no problem if you have fast lenses. My only complaint is the low bitrate - a 1080p capture works great for a 720p deliverable, but looks soft compared to a footage from a full-raster 1080p video camera or digital cinema camera. The footage doesn't do well with aggressive color grading either.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

There aren't any full raster full frame DSLR cameras so it's not like the D800 is alone in sucking at resolution.

Oh, of course. I'm just referring to situations where I'm intercutting footage from the D800 with footage from other cameras so Triglav can get an idea of its limitations. The video really is fine for most applications, though - unless you're producing something for TV, theatrical release or a picky client, it'll probably do most everything you want. It's a top-notch still camera, too.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Moire won't go away since the D800 line-skips for video, but detail and color depth will be better with an external recorder.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I use 2.5mm to XLR adapters pretty often with good results, so I wouldn't worry if that's the only mic input on the camera. Having separate headphone and microphone jacks so you can monitor what you're recording is kind of important, though. Nikon DSLRs have those, Canons don't and I haven't really kept up with the mirrorless world so I'd check to see if whatever camera system you're looking at can manage.

If you end up looking at the Rode Videomic Pro, I'd recommend Audio Technica's AT-897 instead. The audio's a bit better and the build quality is far more solid for the same price. The down side is that there's no on/off switch, so you'll have to screw it open and insert/remove a battery every time you use it without phantom power.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

So I edit videos in my spare time, usually with footage given to me by other people. I'm interested in doing it as a side job instead of just as a hobby, and I figure it's a lot easier to get one's self hired if you also shoot the footage. I want to do DSLR video so I can get good still photos too. How much am I looking at for the basics here? What are the real essentials?

Tripod or shoulder rig, shotgun mic, camera, a few lenses, SSD, flash?

It really comes down to what you're filming and what kind of results you want. Lavalier mics are handy for getting clean voice recordings when you're filming in an environment with noise or an echo, and most freelancer networks require you to use one, so that's probably worth looking into. Even if you like doing a lot of shoulder rig/handheld/gimbal work, you're probably going to run into situations where you want a locked down shot, so I would definitely get a tripod sturdy enough to keep your shot from shaking. Fluid heads are nice, and you can probably find one suitable for a DSLR on eBay for around $300, but you can get by without one for interview/testimonial/talking head type shots. Lighting makes a big difference, and there are a bunch of guides for DIY lighting setups around the internet, but it's hard to go wrong with something like a small Lowel Tota kit (I found a two-light set on Craigslist several years back for $150, and it's enough for most of the one-man-band videography stuff I do).

Hopefully some of that was helpful. If you can elaborate a bit more on what you want to film and link to some footage that looks like what you're hoping to come away with, I can offer more advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

red19fire posted:

Do any of you use Nikon D810's for video? I'm upgrading my cameras in the next couple of months, and I think I'm going to dip my toe into video by shooting a bit of video for promos and 30 second clips on youtube or whatever.
I use the D800 for video fairly regularly. It's pretty solid, but moire can be an issue with rough textures and fine patterns. The D810 has better processing on the back end and does better with moire, but still isn't perfect (although that's probably not an issue unless you're shooting people in wool suits all day). The "flat" color profile and 1080/60p video on the D810 are welcome improvements, too.

• Locked thread