Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drinkingthesun
Mar 26, 2005
amateur ninja
Hey team,

I am seeking to make the leap into the fine world of video. A quick synopsis of my situation: at 23, with a journalism degree in hand, I have come to Seoul to teach English. Teaching not my calling; journalism is. And the direction of journalism is online video. I seek to make this my direction as well.

I have been shooting (still) a Pentax K100D, through which I've learned the basics of photography over the past three years. But I need video. I crave it. I intend to principally do travel writing (getting a piece published this month in the Globe and Mail, hooray!) and quality video will set me apart from my freelance peers.

I finish my time in Korea at the end of January, after which I head to China for a month, (then tentatively) a stop in Hong Kong, then to India, onward to Nepal. I want to write, shoot and sell as many stories as possible in this time.

The conundrum is this: My budget for gear is about $2,000, maybe more, especially if I want to (ugh) borrow from my parents. So it's pretty tight financially.

Let me tell you about my conclusions: it's come down to the Canon 7D and Rebel X2i. From the spools of forum discussion and reviews I've read the sample videos I've seen, the video quality seems to be quite comparable, although the 7D is superior for low light. In addition, I'm off-put by having to wade through menus to get to my adjustments using the X2i. Also, of course, the still photography is going to be leagues better for the big brother. But does that warrant paying double the price?

At this point, my reasoning runs along two lines:

First, I'd rather free up that extra $800 to buy some quality glass. So I can make some deliciously shallow depth of field. Oh yeah. Plus I'm going to want to get a monopod, a new bag, etc.

Second, personally, I need to decide if I am ready to commit to video. The 7D's ability to shoot high-level still and motion is of course attractive.

Third, I'm going to be in some notable weather conditions, including the Himalayas' Anapurna Circuit. The classy weatherproofing on the 7D is intriguing in this regard, but surely I must be able to find some sort of condom for the X2i?

At this point, I think the price makes the choice. Right now I'm seeing the X2i body on B&H for $700 and the 7D for $1,599. That's quite the difference. With the X2i, I believe I could collect most all of the gear I need to be a backpack journalist within my budget.

Thoughts?

drinkingthesun fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread