Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Iron Rose posted:

Ask for 300, settle for the mid 200s

Levels.fyi is your friend

Honestly, that is starting to sound like made-up, Monopoly money. Which isn't that far from the truth given that even at 250k my salary would be a rounding error to a rounding error in Microsoft's P&L statement.

But I appreciate the advice! I'd just have to somehow keep a straight face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Salaries have gone completely nuts in tech in the last couple years, it doesn't seem real sometimes. Just get what you can get!!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Trabant posted:

Honestly, that is starting to sound like made-up, Monopoly money. Which isn't that far from the truth given that even at 250k my salary would be a rounding error to a rounding error in Microsoft's P&L statement.

But I appreciate the advice! I'd just have to somehow keep a straight face.

Download blind and do a few searches in that app as well. It’s full of rear end in a top hat silicone valley libertarians, but at the same time it’s one of the most powerful tools for worker organization and salary sharing in the tech world. The TC numbers might be a little inflated but… not by that much!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Trabant posted:

Yup, and best I can figure out it's somewhere in their 63-64-65 level range. Which is a really w i d e range when it comes to salary.

You should be interviewing for a specific level I believe. You can try asking the recruiter.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

asur posted:

You should be interviewing for a specific level I believe. You can try asking the recruiter.

You're right, it's something I should've asked about early on. Then again, it looks like Microsoft will interview you for a position with a certain expectation ("this is a L64") within the general "sr. program manager" title, and that may change up/down depending on how well you did and how much they want you.

(it would be bizarre for it to change down, but who knows how they do things)

Anyway, I'll be aiming high :v:

The Iron Rose posted:

Download blind and do a few searches in that app as well. It’s full of rear end in a top hat silicone valley libertarians, but at the same time it’s one of the most powerful tools for worker organization and salary sharing in the tech world. The TC numbers might be a little inflated but… not by that much!

Good tip -- did that and it's truly eye-opening to see some of the numbers out there. Based on my abbreviated resume:

- 17 years of experience with large tech corporations (no FAANGs though)
- Previous jobs in chronological order: semiconductor engineering, e-commerce, sales ops, business intelligence
- BS + MS in electrical engineering (midsize private school), MBA (top 20), PMP (lol who cares)

I'm thinking it's perfectly reasonable to be looking at an L64. The one catch is that both I and the role are based in ATX, but we're rapidly increasing in CoL so it's not like I'm applying for remote work out of Peoria.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Trabant posted:

You're right, it's something I should've asked about early on. Then again, it looks like Microsoft will interview you for a position with a certain expectation ("this is a L64") within the general "sr. program manager" title, and that may change up/down depending on how well you did and how much they want you.

(it would be bizarre for it to change down, but who knows how they do things)
Why wouldn't it drop? You can't conduct a junior interview and expect to make a senior offer, unless it's the CEOs grandson. Interview at the higher level to ensure you have sufficient data, possibly adjusting during the interview process when you've ruled out the candidate operating at the higher level.

Decades ago Microsoft interviews were "sequential Spanish Inquisitions", meaning subsequent interviewers were reading notes while they were being recorded. Perhaps they'd be called "Tag Team interviews". In any case, if an interviewer notes "dropped the question to L555", that's likely where the next will pick up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

John Kelly posted:

My company recently told us to stop using usb memory keys to 'prevent hacking attempts on the corporate network'.
This is typical CYA security. Actual security is providing users with a better *and* safer alternative

Volmarias posted:

I don't think I've used a USB drive in ten odd years, does everyone's company just not have storage internally of some kind?
Sticks not so much but portable high capacity drives/arrays, absolutely.

Dik Hz posted:

I used to run an Analytical chemistry lab and half our equipment was on OSs that weren’t supported any more. IT did over $50k in damage to equipment from trying to update instrument controllers and causing hard crashes to sensitive equipment. I negotiated and in exchange for removing them from the network and removing IT’s responsibility for them, they let us transfer data with USB drives.

The alternative was buying $1M in new equipment that had worse uptime and didn’t add any capabilities.
This is a very common use case (outdated meatspace data acquisition gear). In semi-competent shops it's accomodated mostly at the connectivity level.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 21, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
https://twitter.com/myeshachou/status/1484207750783639557

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
It would make me so happy if that were real. Too bad I don't think they're even shipping until next week :sigh:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

"Employee Experience Journey" gently caress me

Significant business lingo bullshit here

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Your employer’s name is on there.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I quit a remote job at the beginning of november last year after working there for about 45 days. Last week I received an LCD monitor from them and today I received a printer from them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Place I quit few years back that was remote I had two $1500 monitors I brought home from the office after my first few days and they told me to keep them as it wasn’t worth having them shipped but they wouldn’t cover the $50 to mail back the MBP I had.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

FrozenVent posted:

Your employer’s name is on there.

It is not, but I appreciate the heads up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh good I thought you were working for this buzzword factory.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

knox_harrington posted:

jesus christ, I feel like you need to nms tag that

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Why wouldn't it drop? You can't conduct a junior interview and expect to make a senior offer, unless it's the CEOs grandson. Interview at the higher level to ensure you have sufficient data, possibly adjusting during the interview process when you've ruled out the candidate operating at the higher level.

This is good advice for people that are interviewing but it absolutely does happen that you'll interview someone and uplevel them based on the interviews. I've done it before as a hiring manager.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I interviewed for my current job that was posted as a mid level position, and they decided to bring me on as a Senior. I was a touch overqualified for the mid level job, but my last org is a sinking ship that I wanted out of.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Vaccine mandate rolling out next week, things are about to get spicy. Only about ~60% of our workforce is apparently vaxxed, and the unions are saying something like 5% of their total members have said they'll straight up quit before they get the shot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sydin posted:

Vaccine mandate rolling out next week, things are about to get spicy. Only about ~60% of our workforce is apparently vaxxed, and the unions are saying something like 5% of their total members have said they'll straight up quit before they get the shot.

"Well, uh, turns out it was actually just five. Not 5% -- five people."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Decades ago Microsoft interviews were "sequential Spanish Inquisitions", meaning subsequent interviewers were reading notes while they were being recorded. Perhaps they'd be called "Tag Team interviews". In any case, if an interviewer notes "dropped the question to L555", that's likely where the next will pick up.

But if you're interviewing a candidate for role X, don't you have some expectations of role X and the level they're supposed to be performing at? I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense to say "I want to hire a senior widgetmaker but I guess we'll settle for this guy who is a junior widgetmaker and hope he can develop."

I guess that could be the case in a labour market where you take what you can get and just hire a warm body, but it still seems like you'd be better off looking for a candidate that can meet the original role expectations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Democratic Pirate posted:

My ex-SOX IT audit eye is twitching.

A SOX IT auditor passed testing on the basis that "the code is the same" because 5 lines that loaded a queue config were identical YoY. The fact that the rest of the file had 90 changes in the most recent commit which had the message "refactored entire process" did not bother them.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

knox_harrington posted:

Reading this was quite a journey and we could drastically improve the experience. Now please wait twenty minutes while I go reread it seven times to verify that, in fact, it literally provides zero information.

quote:

Thank you for your patience as we continue to move toward IDEA. With your help, we have been working on THINGS YOU CAN'T HELP WITH.

We are excited to announce NAMES OF THINGS WE IMAGINE ARE RELATED TO IDEA have been updated by NON-CONTENT CHANGES.

NAMES provide a LOFTY ADJECTIVES view of employee experiences of OTHER NAMES ...

I might have to unearth the Dada engine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trabant posted:

But if you're interviewing a candidate for role X, don't you have some expectations of role X and the level they're supposed to be performing at? I'm trying to figure out how it makes sense to say "I want to hire a senior widgetmaker but I guess we'll settle for this guy who is a junior widgetmaker and hope he can develop."

I guess that could be the case in a labour market where you take what you can get and just hire a warm body, but it still seems like you'd be better off looking for a candidate that can meet the original role expectations.

Except it's not widget making. I adjust my teams scope based on makeup. If I want a senior but find a very promising junior, I may be willing to take the smaller scope work and develop them up. Especially since that means I can maybe get a senior guy when a junior or intermediate moves. Or hire above budget in anticipation.

In this market especially I'm not going to let a promising engineer off the hook, if I find someone I'll move pieces around. In the fall I had two open reqs, I found three good candidates, was told to hire all three and keep the req open in case I find a fourth.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Which is all fine and good but doesn't mean that you interview every candidate as a vice president, nor as a coffee runner. You do a resume review, an initial phone interview, then schedule them for a challenging interview and expect them to be a blazing success. You're gauging against a role and level independent of what the "requisition" claims, which is not the same thing as interviewing everyone against the level in the req.

Yes, a candidate can be better than expected and will be able to start at the higher level and be successful. I hope and expect candidates will blow me away in the interview. In 400 interviews across three levels and half a dozen different roles, in the last four years I've seen it happen precisely zero (nor has any manager come back in 3mo and said we goofed and they are obviously at the next level so we've miscounted the zero) times.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

In 400 interviews across three levels and half a dozen different roles, in the last four years I've seen it happen precisely zero (nor has any manager come back in 3mo and said we goofed and they are obviously at the next level so we've miscounted the zero) times.

I don't think this is the strong evidence you might think it is. Context matters a lot for performance and then layer on the perception of the assessor...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you've never interviewed someone and said "Wow, this person is above the level they applied for" or "I like this person and we should bring them aboard, just not at the level they applied at" strikes me as probably a problem with a too rigid hiring process.

The last person I hired we posted a role at intermediate and they essentially convinced us to uplevel it to senior. it was kind of a unique role and in retrospect senior is where we should have started, so that one was probably more our fault. But importantly we were flexible enough to adjust.

Before that I guess it was about 2 years since I changed a role like that? We had someone pass along from a different team's interview and we adjusted up after talking to them. So its not like super common (straw man about VP to coffee runner aside) but its not really all that rare either.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That is definitely as it should be, but in fairness I suspect you work at a company, or at least in a department, that's more sane than 90% of the places out there. Being too bogged down in the HR tar pit to adapt to anything is more the norm, sad to say.

But the pandemic's forcing some evolution in the computer toucher arena, at least.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

In 400 interviews across three levels and half a dozen different roles, in the last four years I've seen it happen precisely zero (nor has any manager come back in 3mo and said we goofed and they are obviously at the next level so we've miscounted the zero) times.

:lol: This says a lot more about your org than your interviewing skills.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Speaking of bad fits in interviews: I was poaching another contractor that the client loves but their contract is sunsetting. They were okay at best, but the value was keeping the person with the client. I make the approach, they're on board, I tell them the basics of what to expect with our interview process. You interview with leadership to see why they should hire you into the firm, with lower leadership as to what your role would be, and then finally with a technical expert to verify you have the skills. Easy peasy compared to coming in off the street - I had room in the budget and cleared the way so all they had to do was clear the interviews. It's about as much of a softball as you can get.

They then proceed to completely fail to explain what they do, what value it brings, or why we should hire them. They get nitpicky and correct the technical interviewer several times with the wrong corrections that they were called out on. They were also late by a few minutes to the first one, and asked to end the technical interview a few minutes early. And to top it off, they ask for approximately 40% more than what they are worth and nearly double what they're paid at this moment (they make 75k, we were offering 90k, they asked for 140k).

I was so flabbergasted at how badly the interview went I've refused to acknowledge that this person exists and I'm letting them disappear into the void at the end of the coming week when their contract expires. If I didn't see the interview notes and have everyone reach out to me with a 'yo what THE gently caress' phonecall I wouldn't have believed it went that badly.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Speaking of bad fits in interviews:

Your story just reminded me of an interview one of my peers conducted before Christmas. We have some accounting systems that are not exactly the latest and greatest. When the applicant asked about what systems we are running, he responded to the answer with "Well, even the Amish have their place in the world." Interview continues and the panel are pretty convinced he is just uninterested and tanking the interview. We do not extend an offer and then the guy starts reaching out to anyone to get us to reconsider. Apparently he really wants the job. One of the more bizarre ones I have encountered.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I assume there must have been other red flags or his delivery was overtly hostile because if you're so humorless that answer alone disqualified him you did him a favor by shitbinning him.

Or maybe someone told him he should neg interviewers to get offers I dunno.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume there must have been other red flags or his delivery was overtly hostile because if you're so humorless that answer alone disqualified him you did him a favor by shitbinning him.

Or maybe someone told him he should neg interviewers to get offers I dunno.

From what I was told from the interviewers, dude was just checked out after that hence why everyone thought he was tanking it. Like we can look past a bad joke, but when someone starts acting uninterested what are you gonna do.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

We have a serious problem offshore with contract staff hired through 3rd party providers because it's a hot market and/or they inevitably get fed up with the contract employer and want to leave. If we're lucky, they ask to go permanent but it never happens because of course, that way we can't fiddle the headcount on the books, and we can't "go up" full time heads!

So we have this cycle of hiring people, getting X years of experience while some poor fucker does damage limitation (often this is me), then they leave and we start all over again. In one case, there was actually some sort of corporate falling out with the entire provider and they took their toys and went home entirely, screwing every department that had people from them in one go! It sucks!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I would rather father a child, raise, love and support them, send them to college and train them to do the work required needful than ever again hire eClerx.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I have hired some devs through the H1B farms before and I swore never again when they had 4 people in an apartment who were sharing a laptop to do their work in shifts during the day. The recruiter didn’t see why this was a problem and said if I was concerned then send the dev a laptop to use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

I have hired some devs through the H1B farms before and I swore never again when they had 4 people in an apartment who were sharing a laptop to do their work in shifts during the day. The recruiter didn’t see why this was a problem and said if I was concerned then send the dev a laptop to use.

If you were hiring them as an employee you SHOULD be supply them with the tools they need to work. But I but you were hiring a contractor, in which case you should NOT be supplying them with that equipment for the same reasons on the other side of that set of employment law.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

They were contractors and it was all the usual spiel about how they are high quality, experienced, staff ready to go on multiple projects etc… etc…. Instead it was junior staff crammed into Chicago apartments sharing equipment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

They were contractors and it was all the usual spiel about how they are high quality, experienced, staff ready to go on multiple projects etc… etc…. Instead it was junior staff crammed into Chicago apartments sharing equipment.

Figured. This is standard TCS/Bane/Booz/whoever playbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Motronic posted:

Figured. This is standard TCS/Bane/Booz/whoever playbook.

Small firms cant do business with these groups, if your JPMorgan, Deloitte will send its A Team, if your small cap firm X you get the C team.

Now a days I think the best thing you can do with these contracts is assign them as support staff to one of your dev leads and give him authority to get rid of them if they prove to be bad.