Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Oh job, how do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.

I work in IT (Helpdesk) and our time is tracked and monitored very closely. It would be one thing if I was an employee that slacked off (and trust me, there are quite a few in my department, but more on that later), but actually I'm one of the higher performers in my department. We have to put a code in our phone for everything; Meetings, Lunches, Breaks, training, and Personal Business. So basically if I have to take a piss I have to put a code in my phone, and if it's longer than 5 minutes it's a flag. Everyone in my department hates this and feels like management doesn't trust us.

I also work on other projects and administer and perform break/fix on smartphones. This can be anything from configuration/activation, warranty replacement, low level troubleshooting (I just changed my password and it won't sync because it's asking for a password!), everything except for ordering. People with smartphones are usually in management or executive management, or in some cases specialized departments that have a need.

My big gripe with this poo poo is that for people in the main office, I could just go to their desk to fix this stuff. But it can't be that easy, because if I mention that I'm going to So-And-So Exec's desk to fix his iPhone or Blackjack2 or whatever, I have to clear it with 2 other people because the support phones need coverage. You don't loving trust me to go away from my desk for 15 minutes, when you have people in the department sitting in a bathroom stall with their pants on reading the paper for 20 minutes?

Apparently you can be at this company for decades, and the longer you've been there the less you're expected to do. I've never worked at a place before that has so many people doing so little, and still keeping their job. And it's even more fun to get told that you aren't getting promoted because "The company doesn't promote at annual review time anymore", and mere days later you get the first of at least 20 emails from other IT managers congratulating someone one a promotion. The icing on the cake was when a coworker of mine got a promotion....someone who has poor technical skills and talks on her phone for hours each day with non work related people.

My guess is that I should just start doing the bare minimum if I want to have a job for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU