Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
What I love most about corporate life is the amount of wasted time and resources. A friend of mine works as a paraplanner in a financial planning firm. They work from templates a lot, however the templates are so badly worded, punctuated and formatted (in Word), that each report takes twice as long to create as it should. Upper management have known about this for over a year. Rather than take two or three work days for the team to thrash out new templates and increase their efficiency by 50% on an ongoing basis, they're told to work from the lovely templates because they can't afford the downtime.

A few years ago, my own employer did an efficiency study and discovered that our reporting systems - a hodgepodge of Access databases and Excel spreadsheets spread over multiple branches and states - was really inefficient, and that we would all benefit from a centralised, web-based software system that could generate the same reports automatically. So they took one of my co-workers and made setting that up his new job. After two years, there was practically nothing to show for all that time/work. The co-worker was demoted, the project abandoned and the system shelved at a cost of gently caress knows how many thousands.

18 months ago they tried again, and flew first my boss and then me up to corporate HQ to document some systems and processes and make recommendations as to what should be included in the new uber-application. Only this time they weren't going to use the software package they'd paid for, but instead our IT guys (a bumbling director and three hugely overworked techs) were going to build something from scratch. That again was abandoned after six months.

Last week I got a call seeing if I still had the reports I'd written back then because they were going to take another crack at it. Thankfully I'm a pack-rat so dutifully forwarded them on. I have absolutely zero confidence anything will come of this. In the meantime, we've had yet another layer of daily reporting imposed on all of us, which entirely replicates another report, but it's formatted differently and has to be inputted manually.

EDIT: Meetings. I loving dread meetings a lot of the time. Except for the ones that I chair, which have become legendary in my company, because I actually run them properly. I even wrote an article series on how to run meetings properly, because nobody seems to have a loving clue. The worst environment for meetings, I've found, is government rather than corporate. The layers upon layers of bureaucracy, Machiavellian politics and worship of inefficiency mean that when a scheduled meeting is somehow not cancelled, you're subject to at least an hour of grandstanding, jargon, waffle and plain old wasted time.

modeski fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Oh, I almost forgot the most hilarious thing from my friend's financial planning company. They just bought some swanky offices from a company that went bankrupt. The place is designed as a 'paperless office', which basically means no-one has filing cabinets at their desks, some people have two monitors and others have 24" ones.

So, the bosses think going paperless is the way to go. They started in March, and I calculate that they'll be finished in 2018 or so, given that they have six million pages to scan, and only three people doing the scanning, on a voluntary and part-time basis. I haven't checked, but I'll bet you they're using consumer-level scanners/software.

EDIT:

bitreaper posted:

Exactly this. "You gave me my key, did you not get one made for Kirk? You should probably get that done." She's going to keep doing it if you let her, and you are definitely letting her.

Reinforcing this sentiment. You have a key now, it's up to her to get her own key from now on. Plead ignorance if questioned. "Oh, I thought you got this made for me like the boss asked. Sorry, I can't give it back to you now in case I need it."

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Vice President posted:

We have a "mainframe computer" COBOL.

The bank I used to work at was like this. They had a team of gnarly old dudes still coding away in COBOL for the mainframe, and there was constant, unspeakable tension between that team and the young whippersnappers who somehow had to make all the other modern technology (like internet banking) interface with the mainframe.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

As a British goon now living and working in Australia, I've never been more glad not to work in the USA. I'd always heard comments about Americans going on holiday and not having a job when they came back, but such a scenario was so far-fetched to me that I took it for a joke.

My company was talking about opening an office in the US before the financial crisis, and I expressed an interest in going. Now the only way I would do that is if I was guaranteed the same working conditions as I get here, as well as health insurance up the wazoo that meant I would never see a bill. Because otherwise, gently caress that noise.

I really wish more Americans knew how bad they have it compared to the rest of the world. If only the average Joe knew how badly they were being shafted, the streets would be filled with burning Porsches and corporate-funded government would be a thing of the past.

Since I started working at 16, I've had things like four weeks paid holiday a year (even when I was part-time), strong protection against unfair dismissal, ex-employers having no say in what benefits I could get after being fired, mandatory breaks for working certain hours, limits on the number of hours I could work a week (48max), and a whole raft of other benefits and protections that are taken for granted. I really feel for you lot. Poor yanks with your lying uber-patriot overlords. :(

CONTENT: Recently a colleague of mine was threatened with disciplinary action if he didn't improve on a few KPIs. The only problem is that we don't actually have a written disciplinary policy or any guidelines at all. Whoops.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In Up in the Air, there's a dramatization of Zach Galifianakis tooling up to go on a shooting rampage but after reading this thread, how is it that something like that hasn't happened yet? Have companies collaborated to find the sweet spot of misery that keeps up their profit margins while not inciting mass worker rebellion?

That's pretty much it. Not to mention that the sort of people who give a poo poo about their jobs are those who have responsibilities they can't neglect, like a mortgage and kids. With the US economy the way it is now, a lot of people haven't got enough savings to live off if they quit, and finding another job is tough when companies aren't hiring.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

namsdrawkcaBehT posted:

I have 2.5K in travel money to play with, paid by work and I can book flights up to that value. This is what happened almost word for word.

I'd just wait a week then book business class without mentioning it. Also, check your company's travel policy. When I worked at Diners Club if you were on a business-related flight over four hours, business class was mandatory. Not that I ever got to take advantage of it.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

BigHead posted:

I've had this happen to me before. The best strategy is also the weirdest. Name it after yourself. Call the project the "Timo Project" or the "Timo Program" or the "Timo-Coworker System" or something. Let the bitch take try to take credit for your project when it's got your name on it.

Another thing I've done is create a report for a project, putting my name on the title page and in the header and/or footer, then print to PDF rather than circulating a Word document to people so nobody can alter it.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Chupablabla posted:

A lot of the new hires, especially the younger, less experienced ones, were pressured to work nights and weekends (over my head) to no extra compensation.

Yeah, I hate this, and see it a lot with young people coming into the workforce for the first time. But as a manager I tell my staff that I don't work for free and neither should they. If they do overtime then they drat well get paid for it. Too many people in too many industries work off the clock out of some misplaced sense of loyalty. It's bullshit, work is a contract, a trade-off of your time and effort for money.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Ugh, senior management just pulled a really lovely move on all the salaried people in our company (myself included).

Without going into too much detail, they decided to take away a bonus scheme which netted us about $1000 a year. Not a huge amount by any stretch, but a decent chunk of change. Given that we don't get things that hourly staff do, like commission, shift loadings, paid overtime or travel allowances, it was nice.

The timing is too loving perfect for this not to be calculated. Our CFO (who announced this via email) is leaving for another company in two weeks and the director who frequently goes to bat for us middle managers is overseas on holiday. The CEO is also jetting off for three weeks and we won't get a chance to see him before then.

The galling thing is that they're couching it in terms of an administrative oversight. As in, this bonus scheme should only EVER have applied to hourly staff, and we got it in error. As a courtesy they're not going to make us pay back the bonuses we've received in the past. How nice!

modeski fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 16, 2011

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Update for anyone who may be interested: I mentioned the harassment to the owner's daughter, who I guess told her dad who then told the annoying manager, and now he's leaving me alone. I've gone all week with only exchanging hellos/goodbyes with this dude.

So yay, happy ending! (for now, anyway.)

Yay! You want to hope there's not a happy ending. :rimshot:

EDIT: As a brother to four sisters, good on you for being assertive, more people need to follow your example.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Pixelante posted:

I do still think you should try stand up for yourself by telling him to stop, or talking to your boss, but the only one who can tell if that's a wise course is you.

I'm almost of the opinion that should you just kick him in the balls and loudly deride him in the middle of the office. When challenged, just shrug and say "It's the American way."

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Defenestration posted:

The opposite of this problem: We had an evil boss who would NEVER email anything. She'd tell us to do it one way, then once we'd done it, she'd say "Why did you do it that way! I told you to do the exact opposite!"

I had a boss like that once. I took to emailing him back every time, "To make sure I was clear on what we had just talked about." I'd then give a quick precis of his orders and ask him to let me know if I'd got anything wrong. That then gave me an out if I needed to cover my rear end.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I get to write technical manuals now, because no one ever replaced the tech writer who quit a few years before I even started.

As an added responsiblity, do I get an increase in pay? No.

This is about the time where you start taking longer lunches, naps in the server room and spending lots of time 'researching' on the internet.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Cluricaun posted:

I've been at my company for 12 years. I last saw an increase in pay in 2005, and that was $4k a year. I've taken on what would fairly and without exaggeration be at least five levels up from where I was and the full time jobs of three other people who've left. For nothing. Not even a lie filled promise.

I'll do just under $10m in personally accountable money for the company this year and I make just over what the local hot dog place pays their junior managers.

I have to ask - why are you still there?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Cacahuate posted:

This is just what I needed. Thanks a lot!
If anyone has any more suggestions, do tell!

Don't feel like you need to 'make your mark' immediately. If you go in guns blazing and change the way your team works, they'll hate you and make your life miserable.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Adrianics posted:

Hmmmm, trying to think of a polite way to refuse to contribute to a former colleague's goodbye present on the grounds that they toyed with my life and career as part of a demented power-grab and I'm not even in the least bit sorry that they left. Advice?

Do you have to refuse in person? Is someone going to come to you asking for a contribution? That sucks if that's the case. I think the only way to do refuse politely is to be calm, but assertive, and shut down any questioning.

:downs: Hey, do you want to put in some money in for Bob?
:eng101: No, I'm not going to. Thanks, though.
:downs: What? Why not.
:eng101: Just a personal thing between me and Bob. I'd rather not go into it.

Something along those lines. Hopefully some of your colleagues are aware of what went down with you and Bob and it's just left alone.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Employee Appreciation Day.

I think I can predict what happened in that meeting.

:downs: Morale is low among the staff, so we need to do something to show we appreciate them.
:eng101: Perhaps give them all an extra paid day off, or offer a bonus for the highest performers?

(ALL LAUGH)

:downs: No, how about we put on a cheap barbecue (no booze), throw up some bunting and party balloons. We can call it Employee Appreciation Day.

:eng101: Let's get marketing to print out some meaningless award certificates.
:downs: No money goes with them, right?
:eng101: 'Course not.
:downs: Excellent. Meeting adjourned. Think I might take off early today.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

"Oh when I was your age I worked all sorts of unpaid overtime, so that totally justifies me asking the same thing of you" :fuckoff:

I came across this attitude in previous jobs. Now that I'm a boss I make sure people are either paid or get to take time off. Like yesterday, I had one of my staff stay 10 minutes late for a meeting, so she gets to leave 10 minutes early today. When you're hourly, the relationship between your time and your pay is so direct, and salaried staff/bosses have to understand that.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

On a similar note, a friend of mine called Bob worked as a financial planner. As you may be aware, planners produce large, complicated documents called Statements of Advice (SoAs) for clients. These SoAs go into minute detail about someone's finances, investment strategies, risk profile and other poo poo I won't pretend to understand.

Bob started to notice mistakes in other planners' SoAs - big things like ungrammatical sentences that made no sense because they were missing a verb. Graphs incorrectly labelled and even made up words; "Comfortability" is the one that comes immediately to mind. One person hosed up so badly that he cost a client $40,000 and the company had to reimburse them.

Bob went to upper management repeatedly, but they always fobbed him off. See, they were penny pinchers, and literally only cared about staff churning through the work as quickly as humanly possible, because time was money and they didn't employ enough people to do the work to a high standard.

There were many other things wrong with the company, but as long as certain figures were met each quarter, the bosses got their bonuses. Employees came and went, few newbies lasted more than a year. Bob left too, and recently found out on the grapevine that the board fired the senior management team because the company was actually losing customers faster than it was gaining them, and to stay afloat had been buying up smaller planning companies and squeezing their clients for as much money as possible until they left.

Bob's old company is now on the market and will likely be sold for a song.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Wiley360 posted:

My question is does it get better? Has anyone left a horrible job and found a better one then realized "what the hell was I thinking staying there?" :(

Holy poo poo yes. I got a job note-taking for deaf people and quit call centre hell for good. After about a week or so I realised that I wasn't waking up with a feeling of dread and contemplating calling in sick. I smoked and drank less and generally felt life just get better. Glory days are ahead, my friend.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Does anyone else have nightmare coworkers or team members? I recently inherited a team of about 15, one of whom is a major pain in the arse. I'll call him Bob. Bob takes a contrary position to any change whatsoever, argues all points to death, circulates group emails that either rile people up or piss them off, and generally is a time suck.

What prompted this rant is that it's currently annual review time. Bob got 5/5 for a particular KPI last year (before I came on board), and I gave him a 4/5 this year for the same KPI, because he was out-performed by about half the team in the same category. I ran the scores and comments past my boss as I always do, and he agreed a 4/5 was fair. Not Bob, though. Holy poo poo, he went ballistic. He's currently written about 8,000 words in emails trying to convince me to bump up his score. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic. So I called him on Friday and he's threatening to file a grievance against me if I don't bump up his score. I told him to do whatever he felt he had to, knowing my boss and his boss have my back.

Bob is convinced we're out to get him. Ironically, all his acting up is jeopardising his position far more than if he just calmed down and did his job.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I love corporate. Every year we set out our departmental budget for the following financial year, and get all the spending approved, everything signed off. Next financial year comes, and we have to submit a business case to a committee, who either approve or deny what was already approved! And some of the committee members are real hardasses, and they'll choose to deny one out of three things on principle.

My favourite example of this was when we got approval to hire someone, but were denied the money to advertise the position.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Sundae posted:

Heard today during a 2-hour WebEx presentation, on the Agenda/Objectives slide:

"So, the next slide contains what I like to call 'objectives.' *presenter bursts out laughing* Pardon my joke. Almost Friday. Anyway, moving on..."

I... I don't get it. I sat there for like 5 min trying to figure out what the gently caress was so funny about calling an objectives slide objectives.

Was this in the UK? In the sitcom 'Miranda', the main character's mother has a habit of calling things 'What I like to call X', with X being the same as what everyone would call it. As in, I'm posting on what I like to call the Something Awful forums.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Some motherfuckers just want to ruin everybody's good time. I worked in a law firm a few years back, and set up an occasional lotto pool. Usually once a month or so, I'd send an email round asking people who were interested to let me know, and that when they paid their $5 that was them considered in the pool for that week. Usually I'd give people a working week's notice. One of the usual participants complained to my boss when she was left out of the pool when she was on vacation. Not only did she not tell us she'd be away, but she didn't ask anyone to put her name down or put $5 in for her.

The crazy thing is, like usual, we didn't win anything, so if anything she was up on the rest of us. Lawyers gotta lawyer, I suppose. One of the partners told me that if we had won the jackpot while she was away, that she'd have grounds to sue. Moreover he said that even people who didn't tell me they wanted to join may have an actionable position if we won and they missed out, so the money might be held up while we racked up legal fees. So in order to avoid that I just had to put a stop to it. But I made sure to tell everyone who asked exactly whose fault it was.

modeski fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 8, 2014

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Swink posted:

No tangible offer? Stick to the plan and quit.

I second this. Chances are your director has a good idea you're unhappy and threw you just enough of a carrot to stop you from jumping ship right away. If I was you, I'd be doing some serious job searching right about now, and leave as soon as possible. Polish up your resume, head on over to askamanager.org for some great job hunting tips and don't look back.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He's apparently correct unless you take action to make him wrong.

Exactly right. The way to approach is to agree a timeline when you first bring it up. Once you meet all the requirements, there should be a proces in place for the promotion to go through. If you agree this with your boss then it becomes apparent much sooner if nothing's happening. With no clear deadlines in place, you're free to be strung along forever. If you had agreed that it would be done by, say, two months, and that deadline passed with no explanation, you can take action then - i.e. looking for another job or going to another department etc.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Poop Cupcake posted:

Yes, I'm going to use the Internet to translate this brochure into 17 different languages and then copy and paste it.

I worked at an agency for a while and customers would pull this poo poo all the time. Usually when I explained the cost of getting proper translations done they'd end up sticking with English only.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

The thing about resigning and then staying when they pay you more money is that when layoffs come round you'll be first on the list.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Oh my god, you too? And here I thought that my morbidly lazy boss was the only one who can't be arsed to literally push a button to put me up a grade. I've been waiting since June.

Joke's on him; I've set a mental date where if it hasn't happened (it won't), I'm resigning. No kids, no credit cards, so peace out.

By the way, you should follow this up with your boss. Since you already have a date in mind where you'll leave, you may as well try to nail him down to a timeline, and then follow up periodically to make sure it's still on track. The way your boss responds to this should tell you all you need to do. The unspoken implication is of course that you'll do exactly what you're planning if the promotion doesn't go through, and it shouldn't come as any surprise. But hey, imposing a deadline might actually get your boss off his rear end.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Necc0 posted:

..it ends up almost tripling my year-end bonus, which was their intent.

The cynic in me tells me that was the exact opposite of their intent, but once wheels were in motion they couldn't backtrack. Chances are they'll find savings elsewhere. But congrats on the bonus :)

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Jesus, a fellow manager (call him Bob) from another department mistook something I said on the phone as a slight against him/his team and went apeshit. My boss just came in to my office after being screamed at by Bob's boss. A client of Bob's neglected to tell us an important detail about a job and it led to a costly gently caress-up. The client is notoriously flaky, so when Bob called me I said "I knew this would happen" as when there's poor communication the risk of gently caress-ups is much higher. Fair enough, right?

So Bob apparently went screaming to his boss, his underlings and the entire department about how I was calling them all idiots and everyone hates me now. I just gave my boss a look of :wtc: and explained I was dissing the client, not Bob. So my boss passed this on to his boss, but I'm sure it'll fall on deaf ears.

I think Bob was projecting, because if he had been more proactive the problem could easily have been avoided. loving office politics, it's the worst thing about corporate.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

My uber-casual employer just got bought out by someone like IBM or Dell (but not them). They're currently looking at moving our staff into their local headquarters, and I had to laugh when I went to visit. Everyone there was resplendent in business casual and higher. Our office has at least one guy who wears a cordurouy utilikit daily, lots of people in cargo shorts and flip-flops, and one guy so scruffy the new cleaner thought he was a homeless guy who'd broken in when she encountered him after hours. Should be fun!

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

SAP has got to be one of the biggest corporate boondoggles around considering the number of companies using it when SAP is totally inappropriate.

We're in the midst of switching over to SAP and it's a glorious, glorious clusterfuck trying to shoehorn decades of Excel spreadsheets, Access Databases, custom internal apps, and arcane processes fully understood only by one semi-retired greybeard who probably makes more than his previous annual salary 'consulting' for us two days a week into SAP. Honestly, it's like a Dilbert cartoon around here. PHBs exhorting us to 'just figure it out', finance departments baulking at sending people on SAP training, and a looming deadline. I fully predict it'll be another year before we're close to going live (and it's already been a year).

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Gotta love corporate. Last month they refused to pay for a sales colleague of mine a $400 trip to a conference attended by most of major clients, a few prospective clients...and lots of our competitors.

Then on Thursday they suddenly decided I had to fly interstate for training (tangential to my job at best) for three days a week over the next month. Because the booking was so last minute the only accommodation they could get me was $350/night. Not that I'm complaining about having a two bedroom luxury apartment, but gently caress me it makes little sense. Apparently there's more money in the training budget than there is in the schmoozing budget.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

When I feel myself getting angry I try to laugh at the absurdity of a situation. Last year one of my direct reports got mad that I gave her a 9/10 on one of her performance review metrics rather than the 10/10 she thought she deserved. It took six months and several meetings with lawyers and the union to come to a resolution. The resolution was that she shut up and took her 9/10, a score that had no bearing whatsoever on her remuneration. This woman is ultra-paranoid that *any* kind of negative will go on some sort of permanent record and reflect badly on her if seen by the CEO (approximately a billion layers of management above her in our massive company). Ironically, her histrionics over any sort of criticism have done her far more damage than any simple performance or productivity issues ever could.

It's very easy to get angry, but then I realise she's just being absurd and I gain nothing by having a temper. I do find it frustrating how soft my boss and his boss are with people, though.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

Wait, what? She got legal and the union involved? How? All for a nearly perfect performance review?

Yep! Picture someone who thinks she is never wrong, and that if you answer a question in a way she doesn't like, she thinks you just didn't undertsand the question. Basically she kicked up enough of a stink that we couldn't ignore it; honestly I think she has some sort of mental illness. She kept badgering me, my boss, his boss etc via email, so we'd set up a meeting to discuss it. Per the agreement our workplace has, employees can bring in representation to any meeting, so she would bring an exasperated-sounding lawyer from the union. We would bring in our own lawyer and round and round we went. We don't live in the US, so firing people is harder, and her performance is generally good. Couple that with her litigious nature and autistic approach to interpreting the rules and voila, six months of bullsiht.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Ugh, just when I've been thinking about moving upwards, my employer has embarked on a restructure. I was silently planning for my bosses' job when he moved on, but they've promoted him to a new position with no word on what happens to his old one. So it's as if they've removed the level above me and flattened the structure.

He and his boss are currently working on a new structure, and I'm worried that whatever is above me will have less responsibility than the old one. What's also compounding the issues is that I know he was a poo poo negotiator and was only on $20k more than me for an insane (self-imposed) workload. In the position before that he hadn't had a raise for five years. He's also accepted the new title without a job description or contract, what a loving idiot.

I currently manage a team of 8, and he was managing about 40, including four managers at my level, so he really should have been on about $20k+ more than he was. Now he's managing about 120 including 10 managers. That's doubtless too much, hence the restructure. I'm worried now that if I try to negotiate that kind of level he'll resist because he won't want me on more than he was. Guess I'll just have to wait and see if there's any movement for me in the new structure.

modeski fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 24, 2015

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Welp, I've been called into a meeting with my boss and his boss tomorrow. Must be part of the restructure they've been talking about.

I have a horrible feeling they're going to offer me more responsibility with no more money. Most of me is thinking 'refuse that poo poo', but the other part is thinking 'at least that'll be good resume fodder'. If it's not a new role, but merely a shifting about of responsibilities and maybe some more direct reports, it's a bit trickier to turn down.

It's tricky because my employer was recently acquired by a massive multinational (think Dell but not), and so there's potentially much more room for movement if I can move outside our niche area. It would be like going from the power button department to the motherboard department. Hmm.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Well, as expected! It's a lateral move with no immediate jump in salary. They threw me the carrot of a possible raise in a few months, but essentially I didn't have a choice because with the restructure I get a new set of direct reports and my existing team are spread out to other people.

Apparently I'm at the top of the pay band for someone at my level already. It's not all negative, though, the new role is interesting and it will be a good springboard to promotion down the line, even it if does mean leaving the department. I'm just glad to be doing something different. But for no more money, they'll be getting the same level of work from me!

modeski fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I'm very much looking forward to this year's performance reviews. Last year one of my subordinates was so upset with the 4/5 I gave her on one category that we had six months of meetings between her, her union rep, my boss, our head of HR and an outside lawyer we pay through the rear end for.

End result? She agreed to take her 4/5. The maddening thing was her remuneration was in no danger of being affected by this score. She was merely worried that somehow someone in head office would get a negative opinion of her. I think she's mentally ill, as are the senior management team for tolerating this sort of bullshit. They're just deathly afraid of discrimination lawsuits, it's bizarre.