Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I work as an instructor at a small private college, and for some reason the secretary hates me. I'm not quite sure why, but my wife thinks it's because she asked me to do something once and I said 'no' because I was too busy at the time. As a result, I put up with stupid petty bullshit from her on a nearly daily basis. She routinely "forgets" to inform me of upcoming social functions that involve staff, people who call the school for me have been told I'm "not there", and other such nonsense.

Last year, the security on the building changed. The college isn't the only business in the building, and the building owners issued security cards to all of the businesses in the building. The doors of the building automatically unlock at 7AM in the morning on weekdays and lock at 5PM, outside of the range that I'm usually there, so I really didn't need a card, but I asked the secretary for one anyway. She asked me if I needed to come in on the weekend or something. When I said 'no', she told me if I ever needed to I could borrow the 'extra' card from her.

Fast-forward about a year, and my transportation situation changed such that I was getting dropped off at work at around 6:30AM. I really didn't want to stand around outside for half an hour every day, so I went to my boss to ask him if there was any way I could get a card. I even suggested to him that I'd be willing to buy one or whatever if that were necessary.

:clint: Didn't you get one?
:confused: ...no?
:clint: But everybody got one.
:confused: I didn't.
:clint: Oh...
:clint: Mrs Secretary, would you mind getting a building security card for runupon?
:btroll: *marches into the office, hands me a card, walks out without saying anything*
:confused: ...thanks?

So I went back to my office, and sported my shiny new card to my coworker.

:d: Yay, I got my security card!
:downs: ...ok?
:confused: Wait... do you have a card?
:downs: Yeah, I got one when they changed the security.
:crossarms: ...did you have to ask for it?
:downs: No, she just gave it to me.
:what: ...

Not really a huge deal, I got what I needed, it just irks me that I have to put up with that bullshit. And it still continues.

Recently, a new classroom was added to the college, to accommodate a class that was about to start. The door on the classroom locks, and the lock came with two keys. The secretary kept one and gave the other one to the other instructor, who happens to be the guy I share my office with. Before the class started, I asked the secretary to make me a copy of the key. I wasn't terribly put out by it, as the secretary would unlock the classroom in the morning, and even if she didn't come in to work, the other instructor could unlock the door.

Two weeks after the class started, I asked the secretary if she had made a copy of the key. She informed me she had not. I started getting flashbacks of the security badge. It irked me.

Two more weeks passed, and then my office-mate was about to go on vacation. With him gone, if the secretary didn't come in on any given day, I'd have been hosed. A little worried and pretty pissed, I mentioned it while my office-mate and my boss were both in the same room.

:argh: Class started four weeks ago. Kirk and Mrs Secretary have had keys since before class started. I still do not have a key. Kirk is going away for a week. I need a key to this classroom!
:downs: Well, I can lend you my key...
:argh: I don't want your key.
:clint: Mrs Secretary, would you be a dear and make a couple of copies of this key so runupon and I can both have one?
:btroll: ...sure.

So we left to do our respective duties and all was well, right? Nope, later on the secretary marched into my office and plopped the key on my desk.

:btroll: This is Kirk's key... go get it copied and I'll pay you out of petty cash.
:what: ...

I get dropped off at work, so I don't have a car during the day and the closest key place is at least a 30-minute walk by foot. The secretary, on the other hand, routinely drives around to drop things off and pick things up as part of her job. I'll be absolutely hosed if I'm going to do this on my own time. It's been just about two weeks since I was given the key, and now she's started emailing me to see if I've gotten the key copied. Kirk came back on Monday, and today he asked for the key back. I told him I hadn't gotten it copied yet, and that he'd have to wait.

I figure either we're going to have a nice day (it's been raining recently) where I can take a 1-2 hour jaunt in the afternoon to get the key done, or the secretary will get sick of Kirk not having a key and get one made for him. Which do you suppose will happen first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU