Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Dugong posted:

Is there a thread for terrible LinkedIn posts? If not, there really should be.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Quandary posted:

Honestly though, this. I've noticed a shocking change in reactions to data and analysis after spending like 15 minutes making it look MBA like and professional. It's the same drat data, but all of a sudden everyone thinks you're a superhero.

Not sure if you guys are talking about this but ...

I am a big fan of reducing data before putting it in a powerpoint slide. Of course I'll put a plot of the raw data in the backup slides, but the main slide will consist of something that is far easier to read. For example, if I want to communicate that a gaussian distribution has a center of x1 and a FWHM of x2, then I make a plot where x1 and x2 are the only numbers on the curve. Even the axes will have no numbers, just a label of what quantity is being plotted. Managers will see the main message (because it's the only thing on the slide), engineers can look at the back-up slide if they want.

Edit: Got an 'active shooter warning' email today from headquarters. Followed by an 'evacuate now' email.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sundae posted:

If it really just is a need for a change of pace, try working from another office, a break room, etc etc. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. Make yourself unavailable and tell people you're in lockdown until you finish (whatever).

Maybe change your hours up if you can. Sleep in late, show up at noon, and then once everyone leaves, crank up the music and slam out the work by 9PM. Again, change of pace is all.

Of course, if you work in the standard corporate hell that refuses to let you do any of these things, you could instead try drinking copious amounts of alcohol from a concealed flask and praying for death and/or sugar high.

This is not the answer I would have given, but it is absolutely correct.

I have been trying to figure out what my next pet project should be as my other responsibilities are on autopilot. I went on a business trip to Europe recently after having just returned from a vacation in Hawaii. The cumulative jetlag was a bitch, so I used the opportunity to change my routine. I used to wake up at 8 am and go jogging after work. Now I wake up at 5am and go swimming before going to work. I came up with my next pet project after just one week of this new routine.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

What's the lowest raise you've gotten? Just curious as someone who the other month got less than 3%. Of course context, career, pay rate, etc matters and its probably in the eye of the beholder...

Yeah, about 2.2% was the lowest, and my manager apologized for it. I told him it wasn't a big deal (he was dealing with more important poo poo) and the company was footing the bill for my green card application, so I took it. I did complain about it at the annual employee questionnaire.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

upsidedown posted:

Any advice on recovering from burnout? I would :yotj: but I'm an Australian working in the U.K. and need a company to sponsor my visa.

A bit of background:
  • Colleague has a kid.
  • Director bends over backwards to place colleague with Client closer to his home so he doesn't find another job.
  • I get colleague's work on top of mine.
  • Over the next couple of months I get assigned to 2 more major projects (think new highway/subway line scale) and at least 1 smaller one.
  • Figure out I've been assigned to various projects at a rate of 10 days / week. When I explain this to Director I get told basically to suck it up.
  • Colleague somehow still has role to chase up client invoicing in main office, so he keeps bugging me to invoice for my projects when I'm too busy doing his loving job.
  • Over the last couple of months I manage to offload or complete most of my projects and the 2 major projects, so just have colleague's job left.
  • Performance review marks me as average. Promotion or pay rise is based on obtaining Professional Accreditation regardless of how hard I work.
  • Have such a backlog of work and am so used to half-arsing stuff to meet deadlines that my work is poor quality.
  • Get called out by another Director for poor quality work. The same Director I need to sponsor my Professional Accreditation and get a pay rise.

I really feel between a rock and a hard place. I can't get any recognition for the work I do unless I get accreditation. I can't get accreditation because I have so much work to do that I can't do it properly.

That sounds like they are taking advantage of you, knowing that you need a visa, and thus this job. So either, suck it up, or look for work (either in the UK, or elsewhere).

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

upsidedown posted:

Extracting myself in any way will be pretty complicated. I've been with the employer for about 18 months but only on the sponsored visa for 6 after my working holiday visa ran out. Bailing and going back to Australia would land me with a £3000 bill for paying back visa fees for my partner and me (this runs down to zero after 2 years). I'd have to get help from family back home to cover both this and airfares.

Is the UK the only place in Europe you would consider working in? I get that the UK is an English-speaking country, but I have found Sweden and Germany to be pretty easy for English-speaking folks. Of course, moving to another country every few years has its tolls.

spog posted:

I would suggest that what you need to do is have a private meeting with Another Director.
Explain your workload and that you are unhappy with being unable to complete your work competently.

Then, make it your personal policy to not half-rear end anything.
If you don't have time to do a task, simply fold your arms and refuse to do it until you complete your current one.
If anyone complains (and they will) - simply point to the list of jobs that you have neatly printed out on your office wall.

If you get the feeling that Another Director is a reasonable person, this is really good advice.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 22, 2017

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

upsidedown posted:

I speak some German and would love to work in Germany, but without an EU passport I don't know how possible it is?

I don't think I will get a sympathetic ear with Director #2 but my Team Leader (reports to Director #1) is in my corner so I'm going to try that path. Me leaving would mean a lot of extra work for him.

I'm a civil engineer. Nothing special, but I was able to get a foot in the door on a working holiday visa and fill a need that had been unfilled for a while. I don't know what it is but civil engineers are hard to find. Like 5 have left in my time in this job and they've only found 1 replacement despite pretty constant advertising. They're gonna be hosed after Brexit if all the Spaniards and Greeks have to go home.

It would not hurt to have a quick look for similar jobs in the UK, Germany, and Australia. If a company really wants you, they will cover the expenses of visa/moving. Engineers (any type of skilled worker) typically have it easier than most others.

Edit: And try to fix your current situation if you think there is a way. There is no guarantee that another company will not take advantage of you.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 22, 2017

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

upsidedown posted:

I'd need to work pretty hard on my German to get it to a level to competently apply for jobs.

I know of companies in Germany that are run by foreigners whose German is pretty lousy. As a result, everybody just speaks English. I admit that these places are rare, but they exist.

Also, a friend of mine moved to Denmark for a few years without any knowledge of the language. What helped is that this was a position at university. Perhaps you can find something similar in Germany?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Renegret posted:

gently caress that I wish I could do jury duty ever year.

I get my regular pay for doing no work and get an hour and a half lunch break?

And the best part, you get to do all that while judging other people!!!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Higgy posted:

I think you already know the answer.

"We want you to stay hungry."

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

therobit posted:

Sniff their crotches instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OJWxKMaKIA

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

7:00am client calls are the worst

Especially when they are late, or the connection is poo poo, or they don't have anything important to ask/discuss.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

... unhappy with job in Norway ...

If you did the 'meh job' using their lovely methods, would you be able to not go insane and keep your job for a long time? If so, try to power through it. Perhaps you will gain their trust, and one day you'll be able to do things your way. These things take time.

But if you think you'll go insane or if job security is far from certain, perhaps start working on your exit.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I think John Smith is hinting at this question: "What was your back-up plan if your gig in Norway didn't work out?" and if there was no back-up plan: "Have a back-up plan in the future."

I'm not victim blaming here. But my dad was in a similar situation once (poo poo job, forced to do it because my mom pressured him into it) and the poo poo job ruined his health, ultimately his marriage, and it was a step back in terms of career development. He resents her and his old job to this day, 17 years after it all happened, and I get to hear his stories at least every other week. It's like talking to somebody with PTSD.

Bottom line: You need to strike a balance between emotional health, physical health, career. Try to not work yourself into a corner where one of these gets thrown out the window. I'm a stranger so I don't know what balance is right for you.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

John Smith posted:

Sort of. But I was thinking more that he should have researched the situation in Norway more clearly before he went. Unless he did realize that it is very difficult to find a job in his industry in Norway, and yet still went.

Basically, my point is that he ***cannot*** achieve all his objectives. Therefore, he must weight the different objectives and accept the trade-offs. Below links offer more detail.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_analysis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimal_decision

Right now, he (and some of the posters?) seems to be trying to find a solution that ends up with him happy (all objectives met). He should abandon such an attempt because it cannot be done and said failure to achieve it will only distress him and waste his resources. But you know, apparently not suggesting a magical fairyland is beyond the pale here in SA. drat, you guys are real hardcore leftists? Nothing is ever anybody's fault, and nothing can ever be done about anything. I am not sure how some of you function in real life.

Well, then we disagree, and that's ok. Happiness is totally achievable. https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

Holy poo poo

Yeah, every time I check into this thread I feel like poo poo for (1) working in the most chill work environment ever while also (2) doing cutting edge research and (3) doing so in a corporate environment (salary/401k). A little over a year ago my manager was convinced that the thing I was trying to do would never work. Realizing the high potential reward if it worked, he let me work on it anyway. I made a bet with him that it would work, and I ended up winning with flying colors. My prize was a breakfast beer at a group meeting.

But having worked there for almost 6 years now, and listening to my peers made me realize that my manager is a rare breed, and I worry what kind of poo poo I will have to deal with when we part ways.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

John Smith posted:

I have a question. Why did you attempt this high-risk project? If I understand you correctly, your only reward was some minor recognition. What is the punishment for failure?

I recently proposed a high-risk project to Management, and I am worried about my payout if it works (and punishment if it doesn't). How did yours work?

No punishment for failure as long as you learn from it and manage to apply those lessons in the future. And in fact, it was 'high risk' in my manager's view because of a misunderstanding of some fundamentals. With the correct understanding, it turned out to be much lower risk. But even if it had been high risk, we would have attempted it because of the high reward - a cool technology, not the beer.

In my environment (research in the tech field) high risk projects are expected, because the only way to innovate (~~~disrupt~~~) is to do something that has not been done before -> risk. My manager understands this, and I am luck enough that the people above him understand this too. In the very early stages, there was a serious lack of funding, but my manager asked me to work on it anyway, and he got funding elsewhere (I was still a postdoc at the time, and he shielded me from corporate BS).

My main reward is to be the first author on a couple of papers that we are publishing and PI responsibilities as this project becomes bigger. I know for a fact that in more cut-throat companies and research groups the "reward" is that either others blame you for the failure or they take credit for your work. At those places the only way to survive is through applied paranoia: Don't teach your colleagues everything you know.

I really lucked out with this job.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

:toot:

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's always fascinating watching a ship go down while its captain and officers smile and tell everyone "iceberg? what iceberg? :smuggo:"

... and the whole A vs. B situation reminds me of a topic in "Only the paranoid survive" about how it is the customer-facing people who notice changes/issues well before the top level executives do. Lots of good stuff in that book - at least for me, a scientist in corporate.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tnuctip posted:

I have wet dreams about getting to present and getting a new job before the convention, so i can be announced as Tnuctip, formerly of X but now with Y. Is this normal??

Wet dreams? Normal.

The intro? If the work presented was done while you were at X, but are now at Y, then yes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sydin posted:

It's not where, it's who. Engineers love to tout seniority and years.

Those are lovely engineers. I unironically enjoy noobs questioning my assumptions and asking me to explain my reasoning. It helps me find mistakes.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I'm at a conference for work and they have undersized rooms for the talks, so I'm hanging out in the back. Guy standing next to me laughs/grunts/comments at everything he sees/hears. After a couple if minutes he cracks an audible fart. Hey, at least I'm congested, so I won't be able to ... nope, I still get to smell it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Serious question, for once.

At what point should comments such as "They hired a woman?" and "she didn't look what I had pictured in my mind at all" be reported to somebody? The comments are coming from a highly competent (PhD in ee) tech bro in his early 30s. He's actually a social butterfly around all genders.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Sean posted:

Immediately. That's a bunch of deep-rooted nonsense. Also, I'm not an expert in EE education, but traditionally these programs don't have a ton of liberal arts/social science education that would encourage appreciation of diversity, despite "high competence" in the actual field.

I let the first comment slide because he was talking about a different company that made the hire and his question could have been interpreted as: "Did the [other, more conservative] company hire a woman, which is a good and progressive move?" It was hard to tell, b/c the exchange was over text.

The second comment bothered me though.

Also, the guy is liberal as hell, so I'm a bit surprised.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

spog posted:

At the point where they are clearly derogatory, illegal or causing a hostile workplace.

Before then, HR won't/can't do anything.

Both of those comments aren't clearly negative enough and could be defended as innocuous:

"They hired a woman?.......that's great, we need more diversity in the workplace
"she didn't look what I had pictured in my mind at all......I was expecting someone older/younger/more like my cousin"

Got it, thanks.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Keetron posted:

I suddenly realized that maybe, just maybe, getting the score "meets expectations" which basically means "of average capabilities and we don't see him going far" does actually mean that one is of avg use to that org. And it also might be very possible that being an average worker is the best that is attainable to most people. And very probably, everyone who is not owner of the business or has the right connections, is doomed to remain stuck in the thick layer of mediocrity... As a matter of fact, I think most management is poo poo at managing, planning, communication and assessing their workers and struggle not to get fired themselves.

Basically, everyone receiving "meets expectation" is doing no more than "meeting expectation" and there is little you can do about it but :toot:

No, I'm absolutely certain that 95% of workers are above average.

Discendo Vox posted:

Give your talk at one of the parties, once word has spread about the cause of the cancellation.

Convert your talk into a poster and print it on your shirt.

Edit: Hail Santa page!

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 19, 2018

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Sundae posted:

While the math of this is funny, it's effectively true in a lot of places, especially if there have been multiple rounds of layoffs. Shorthand of my time at PFE: 7 rounds of layoffs (every 6 months), each taking the bottom 10-20% plus others as required. Mandatory 5-10% getting "failed to meet expectations" as part of the curve, whether they succeeded in their goals or not, and then they'd be cut in the next wave. Each time this cut the talent pool more and more, until eventually people who had never gotten less than a "meets" were failing to meet expectations in spite of literal product launches / phase 3 clinical successes that year. It was impressively bad. I "met expectations" in my final review with a FDA approval and a separate product launch under my belt for the year. (I then took two days of vacation to go get married, came back to the office, and was greeted by my pink slip. :v:)

I love companies that base their expectations on work done by employees at different companies with far better work environments.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Looking for a new job chat:

I don't want to brag, I really just want to point out that good managers exist. Mine has a policy that if you are unhappy, he will actively help you in your job hunt. And if you stay in the area, you'll still be invited to the Christmas dinner.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Keetron posted:

- don't do concalls, they destroy your will to live

This. I only do concalls if my name is directly attached to a deliverable. All-hands-meetings and all-employee-meetings are my favorite because I can work for ~1.5 hours without anybody interrupting me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If that's the first assumption that kind of deflates my balloon a bit, but if they want to talk to me that's at least better than throwing me in the trash. At the very least it will be practice for interviewing for jobs like that.

In my field, we have a saying that it is more productive to hire a person with hard_skill and teach them easy_skill than it is the other way around. I don't know poo poo about the job or your skills, but from what you've typed up, it seems you have the hard_skill.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

I have a situation I’m not sure how to handle. A PM severely hosed a TM bid, won the quote and now has a PO double or triple the amount it needs to be. He will not complete the project under the PO amount because the client already banned us from fixed price for them seeing behind the curtain at how badly we were loving them, and is concerned they’ll drop us entirely for doing it on a TM job.

He has instructed a couple of us what we WILL be billing the project the next couple of weeks even though the work is done, and I’m not comfortable with complete bullshit billing practices like that. I’m supposed to enter 90 more hrs on this project and have nothing left to do.

I’m going to speak with him about how I’m not okay with it, but what’s reasonable next steps after that fails? I can enter my actual hours but either he or the office manager will likely override the time sheet on the back end.

We have an annual Standards of Business Conduct training session, and what you just described is a textbook exercise where the correct answer is: "Do no comply with the request. Report incident."

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

... They called me back about 7 months after I left to try to offer me more money to come back, I laughed and hung up the phone because gently caress that noise.

You are my hero. :unsmith:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Volmarias posted:

This is the way you learn that you've been fired.

If your badge still works, everybody else was fired.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Another:

quote:

Job Description
To come

:thunk:

If you don't cum at work, you aren't a team player.

Keetron posted:

That company needs an HR person and this is their way of communicating that.

Much like the city of Los Angeles in an actual wanted ad.

I unironically think that this ad has a Don Draper-level of brilliance.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Four words: Coconut water, gin, tonic.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VanguardFelix posted:

Well that may well be the worst interview I’ve ever had. Given what the company was looking for I honestly shouldn’t have made it past the initial phone screen. If I were a more suspicious person I’d figure they have some HR requirement for at least one external candidate to be interviewed on-site.

It was bad enough the hiring manager apologized to me afterwards for not preparing me and the people interviewing me for the gaps in my knowledge base. That bad.

Time to drink and pickle myself in the hotel hot tub :yotj:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

That's loving beautiful, that is. It's TYOOL 2018, why do people still not read documentation?

It is disturbing how little time people spend googling [three-word description of problem]. If they did, I would look less smart.

Presentation chat: I had an awesome mentor when I was a PhD student who tore up every single rehearsal presentation I gave. I'm pretty sure I would be the guy with my back to the audience talking to the slides if it hadn't been for that mentor.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

God drat it people, why do you slam the door with *full force* every time you exit your office? Mother FUCKERS!!!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Ah I see you've met my old next door neighbors.

The same fucker also opens his office door like this:
Insert Key 1: Turn clockwise, push/pull on door, turn counterclockwise, push/pull door
Repeat for 4 more keys

Our doors have tons of wiggle room and I can hear this sound through my closed office door even if I have my headphones on.

In unrelated news, what's the proper smilie for when something turned out to be the other guys' fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I interpret
and

as feeling a bit happy about the other guy screwing up. But in my specific case, the other guy is actually cool, and I'm just happy that I didn't gently caress up, so

Eric the Mauve posted:

Personally I'm partial to :c00lbert: