Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Magic Love Hose posted:

I like Seinfeld's standup. I missed the standup bits as they were phased out of the show. No, they weren't as groundbreaking as the show itself, but something doesn't need to be groundbreaking if it's well-polished and I thought that Seinfeld's standup was top-notch.

Has anyone else seen 'Comedian,' that documentary that followed Jerry Seinfeld and Orney Adams around as they hashed out their acts? It's pretty rad to see Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld nerding it up over Bill Cosby.

That was a great, great movie.

You can't really judge Seinfeld as a stand-up comedian by "Seinlanguage". The delivery is completely lost when you put those words to paper. I'm a diehard Seinfeld fan but absolutely hated that book. The series where he wrote all those complaint letters to companies is far better (can't remember the title; they were written under a pseudonym with "wink wink" intros by Seinfeld).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

bobservo posted:

Speaking of which, am I the only Seinfeld fan who's bored by Curb Your Enthusiasm? I've tried to get into it multiple times, but it just seems way too contrived -- and, strange as this may sound, Larry's problems don't seem all that pressing when he's got hundreds of millions of dollars.

I felt that way as well, I had watched several episodes from various seasons of Curb and just didn't feel like it was a pimple on the rear end of Seinfeld. Didn't really think it was funny or paced well. Finally (once I heard the Seinfeld cast were reprising their roles for Season 7) I got the Season 1 set, the wife and I sat down and started watching them one a night. After a week we were hooked, and promptly marathoned the entire series. Now it's right up there with Seinfeld as my favorite comedy series.

For whatever reason it's the kind of show you can't just catch an episode of here and there and really enjoy. I would actually say it's less contrived than Seinfeld was, and despite the fact Larry is a gazillionaire with a "wife" far too hot for him, he's kinda sympathetic when you really get into the series. I root for him far more than I ever did George. In some ways there series isn't so much about HIS problems as it is with the problems of EVERYONE ELSE. If the world were devoid of other people, he'd be perfectly happy.

Also, thanks a ton to the goon who posted about Wale's Seinfeld-influenced CDs. Picked them both up and they're incredible.