Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the biggest offender when it comes to losing it during takes, but I honestly can't blame her. There are several episodes where you can tell she's been laughing or is struggling to keep it together.

I believe she said that she actively disliked the character of Elaine, not so much that she hated playing the role (or the fat cash in the later seasons) just that if she knew an actual person like that she would despise her.

e: favorite moments/episodes would be the one in the underground garage where they're perpetually trying to find the car and Jerry and Kramer (or was it George) end up getting hauled off by security for public urination and the one where Kramer and Jerry end up stuck in traffic in a beer truck.

The story arc where George ends up accidentally killing his fiancee (big sighs of relief) with cheap envelopes was pretty dark, as well as exposing her father's gay affair with Norman Mailer.

So much good stuff in that show.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

I want to say that's an episode of the Drew Carey show...

poo poo, self, way to conflate. You're right. There are similar episodes in Seinfeld involving traffic jam mayhem, but yeah, it was Drew and probably Deidrich Bader?

e:

hall n oates mom posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a deadpan troll because he gets literally every detail wrong.

I hate how right you are about this. Fohgiveness please, I haven't seen Seinfeld in years. Does it help that I think your avatar is pretty awesome, even though Riley Freeman is notorious for getting pretty much everything wrong (in his enthusiasm).

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 23, 2010

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh no, you said a mailam I know, you're you're a mailman I know!

Speaking of, Jerry as a mailman was hilarious. Giving mail to a bum,
"Mail on a Sunday?
"Oops!"

and
"Too many people got their mail...80%! No one at the post office has ever broken the 50% mark! It's like the four minute mile!"

And yet Jerry got all of those checks from his grandma. Someone contact the postmaster General (Wilford Brimley).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Didn't George try to break up with Susan because Marisa Tomei liked short, stocky, bald* men. I was so desperately rooting for him. But I think I liked Kramer better, all in all, because I have this theory he was a total head. Could be wrong, but it fits.

*I think George added this part

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay, not trying to derail this great thread, but who else thinks Kramer was a toker. I'm not a :420: advocate, per se, but I've smoked my share and his discombobulation and random asides point to weeeeeeed.

Again, not saying he was, but it just seemed like so much of his behavior seemed indicative of cannabis use.

Feel free to smack me down if you know from cannon that he wasn't.

I've brought it up with friends both smokers and not, and their response is usually "meh, maybe, maybe not" but some of the things he does seem like things only your best stoner buddy would attempt (and predictably, fail at).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's the deal with this one? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Wait what, what was so offensive? It's been syndicated from its original ep. until, fairly recently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's to feeling good all the time. :cheers:

That Hannigan goes down smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXy8B9V5jLI

This is a pretty good argument against my previous statement. He's a lightweight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hall n oates mom posted:

George's dark green jacket with the flat collar is in his wardrobe pretty much the entire series. It's pretty neat.

I had that jacket back in the early nineties. Loved the hell out of it. Pretty sure it was an Eddie Bauer.

I also wore a lot of flannel, but that was more of a grunge thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The laugh factory incident broke my heart :smith:

Especially when you remember how gawky awesome he was in UHF, as well as Seinfeld.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hall n oates mom posted:

It didn't bother me at all. A lot of people bought into the ridiculous media frenzy (this was when tmz was still fledgling) and misconstrued the entire incident as a premeditated tirade against an entire race. In fact, he was going off on one guy and his friend who wouldn't shut their loud talking up during his comedy set. The serious approach he takes with performance not surprisingly lead to some intensely focused rage, but he was merely going off on that one guy as hard as he could.

The atonement in Curb S7 is fantastic because he literally explains it all in one line: "If only there were a...horrible name that I could call you that would make you as angry as I am!!". Losing his poo poo in public is a definite PR blackeye, but the slackjawed populist ignorance of anyone who tried paint him as some kind of david duke for it is far more offensive.

This is an interesting av/post combo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

NEVER. YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE HE'S DOING MORE WITH YOUR NAME THAN YOU EVER WILL! NYAAHH!

I like the later seasons because around S3.S4 Elaine evolves from being an annoying, badly dressed shrew into a hot corporate bitch that did hilariously petty and hateful things

Is saying post-avatar combo getting tedious? Cuz...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Elaine: Basically what you're saying is that ninety-five percent of the population is undateable?
Jerry: Undateable!
Elaine: So how are all of these people getting together?
Jerry: Alcohol. :smugbert:

Naet posted:

<George at his desk as the cleaning lady walks up.>
George: "Hello."
Cleaning Lady: "Hi."

<next scene>
Jerry: "You had SEX with the CLEANING LADY on your DESK?"
George: "Hennigan's."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FetusSlapper posted:

I love all the outtakes with Jerry Stiller; everyone keeps losing their poo poo and Jerry might smile but he doesn't really break character.

Also Julia Louis-Dreyfus might be the hottest billionaire heiress ever.

Jerry Stiller is most of what makes King of Queens watchable.

I mean, I love Patton Oswalt, but he doesn't get a lot of screen time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

Watching the pilot episode right now and it really is strange. No Elaine, way more standup bits, off pacing, and everything feels like its been culled from his standup act. Better than most of the poo poo on TV these days still, but it feels very far away from the show at it's prime.

Try reading Sein Language. The show was a collaborative effort. Take out some of the players and writers and it would suck hard.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
"The Caddy" is on (TBS Pacific time)

Sue Ellen Mischke. :pervert:

Years ago she played right into my pubescent fantasies. Now I'm focusing on George's car being messed up at Yankee stadium and Kramer's caddy.

What the hell happened to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

neoboman posted:

Femty kroner? How much is that!?

10−15 or 0.000000000000001 kroner.

So, not a lot.

femto (Danish for 15) is close enough to femty, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

According to jim. 4 to 6 episodes a day every day. This was apparently better for daytime reruns than seinfeld.

See also 2 1/2 Men, and many other horrible sitcoms.

How are these people (and shows) getting together?

Alcohol.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hennigan's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgXAt_gstcs

"Boy that Hennigan's goes down smooth. And afterwards you don't even smell."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LAWLandMine posted:

"Do you realize in the entire history of western civilization no one has

successfully accomplished the Roommate Switch? In the Middle Ages you

could get locked up for even suggesting it!"

G: "You're not goin to do it? What do you mean, You're not goin to do it?"
J: "I can't. I'm not an orgy guy."
G: "Are you crazy? This is like discovering Plutonium ... by accident."
J: "Don't you know what it means to become an orgy guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a moustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get orgy friends. ... Naw, I'm not ready for it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/07/soup-nazi-scalds-danger-room/

I didn't get any bread.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nucleic Acids posted:

Wa27, when you do get back in town, I'd love to get one of "TWWWIIIIXXXXX!"

Yeah, you really can tell what's showing on TBS.

Elaine: What was that?

Puddy: There's a mental hospital right by here.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

drat you! :argh:

For pointing out my mistake, I am going to wish you to drop dead!

I always found Kramer's phrasing of "I wish I don't drop dead!" hilariously awkward and :3:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jack Bandit posted:

Jerry: Well, with so many people in the world deprived and unhappy, it doesn't
seem like it would be fair to be cheerful.

Cheryl: I understand.

Jerry reaches for the milk for his coffee.

Cheryl: I think it's curdled.

Jerry: I don't care.

Cheryl: Do you ever laugh?

Jerry: Not really. Sometimes, when I'm in the tub.

Kramer: I just took a bath, Jerry. A bath!

Jerry: No good?

Kramer: It's disgusting. I'm sitting there in a tepid pool of my own filth. All kinds of microscopic parasites and organisms having sex all around me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karl Rove posted:

Jerry's exclamations are the best:

"Oh help me Rhonda!"
"Great day in the morning!"
"Oh Moses smell the roses!"

"You mean the panties your mother laid out for you?"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

neoboman posted:

Love the 12-gauge. My favorite shotgun. Makes the 11-gauge look like a cap pistol.

I'm not a gun guy, you can check to see how often I post in TFR (never) but seeing idiotic musicians, television characters, comedians or writers confuse the gauge system always peeves me. The larger the number, the smaller the diameter. Hence, an 11 gauge (if there is such a thing) would be larger than a 12 gauge. IIRC, electrical wiring works the same way.

I'm not a physicist either, but I think it's been pointed out that "Of course, absolute zero!" was a little off-putting as well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Is Absolute Zero not a real thing? Because otherwise the joke works fine. George finally understands what it means because he stopped having sex. They never even say what it is.

It absolutely is a real thing. However it's very hard to posit (as has been tried in this thread) what it could be an epiphanic answer to.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I LOVE Edmund Fitzgerald's voice!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Infamous Shane posted:

I told myself long ago that I couldn't be a friend of anybody that doesn't like Seinfeld. Is it silly? Probably? Juvenile? Maybe. Nonsense? Quite possibly.

But I still stand by it every day, because those guys...those are not my kinda guys.

So, basically what you're saying is 95% of the population is unfriendable?

UNFRIENDABLE.

So how are all these people gettin' together?

Alcohol.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Also the time he refuses to leave 2 tips (one for the waiter, the other for the head waiter or "Captain") which is actually pretty reasonable but of course backfires HORRIBLY and he tries desperately to put all the blame on the waiter for pocketing the entire tip and not splitting it.

I dunno, the worst thing is the tip jar where you're trying to show the staff that you appreciate their service and the food... and they turn away as you tip them.

I totally feel for George on that issue because it isn't altruism, all I want is a smile and some recognition as a valued customer and BAM, suddenly you get banned from the establishment.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This must be why Jerry didn't get picked up in Japan.

quote:

This guy, this is not my type of guy.
この男は、これが男の私のタイプではありません。
This guy is my type of man this.
この男は男、この私のタイプです。
This man is a man, this is my type.
この男は、これが私のタイプは、男性です。
This man, this is my type, male.
この男は、これは男性の私のタイプです。
This man, this is my type of men.
この男は、これは男性の私のタイプです。
This man, this is my type of men.
Equilibrium found!

http://www.translationparty.com/#8335812

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stratdax posted:

What does "equilibrium" mean in this context, and why does it mean that it totally drops the negative portion of the sentence?

When the translation algorithm goes from one language to the next and back again, without the sentence in the first language having changed it has reached equilibrium.

I have no idea how the translation program works nor do I know much Japanese. I think the idea of the site is just to have fun with languages being sort of incompatible.

Like this scene from Newsradio.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Framptonlive posted:

I can't carry a pen, I'm afraid I'll puncture my scrotum!

In other news, I think I might be turning into George Costanza.

Get rid of that big wallet. No one respects a man with that many coupons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chunk posted:

One of tonight's episodes is about faking orgasms. That episode screwed me up so much as a kid, really made me think the female orgasm was completely impossible to achieve.

I really think they're happy if you just make an effort.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
-I've got to find a Mohel.

-You should call this off, Elaine. It's a barbaric ritual.

-Perhaps one day when the pigmen roam free it will be stopped. Until then, ooooff with their heads!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
As far as disses on Jerry go the best was probably "You may tell jokes, Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, but you are no Comedian."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

...I don't get it..:confused:

I think that ep was espousing the theory that lack of sex (sex is the garbageman of the female brain) was making her stupid at the same time lack of sex was making George a genius.

Plus she works in publishing so her communication breakdown is double funny or something.

Sorry for breaking the joke.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

Oooooh. Witch-AY Woman.

Witchy Woman is okay for you, but I already have a song.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Tidalist

Nice touch. :xd:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't like this thing, and here's what I'm doing with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

safety dan posted:

What's the difference, you know where you're goin'.

Different pipes go to different places!