Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
My two favorite Episodes are by far The Pen and The Cheever Letters. Both of those episodes put the cast into a world that's so completely insane they make them look normal. In both stories the people involved are in worlds so isolated they don't even realize that the way they act is abnormal. Which is what Larry David's point was in the finale anyway, except this time about the main characters.

"When you come in the house, you wipe your wheels!!"

Kills me, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Relayer posted:

George's heat of the moment excuses are the best.

"I told her I was out of soda, I went out to get some and I never went back."

Because you know that Larry David's life is constantly spent thinking of excuses to get out of situations.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Flobbster posted:

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize what that was supposed to be until I saw the image name. They're making a Fairly OddParents live action movie, with Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines?? :aaa:

I love that Jason is wearing a George plaid shirt there too.

I think somewhere in the DVD interviews he says how he kept a lot of george's wardrobe and still wears it.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Max22 posted:

That reminds me, there's also this.

After 5 minutes staring at this i thought i caught everything and then the last thing i saw was the frogger machine :aaa:

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

HateTheInternet posted:

The only other sitcom that really did this at the time was Married With Children. While I respect that part of Married With Children, I never really fully understood its appeal v:shobon:v

Married with Children is best viewed with the understanding that the plot is a thin device for the characters to hurl insults at each other. It's a live action cartoon.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
It's post-modern art. The many Frank Costanza flashbacks remind us that we've moved beyond a time we can never go back to.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Konec Hry posted:

What happened to you?

... Raquel Welch... :(

Jon Voight bit me.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I don't think Jerry would stand for people putting their shoes on his couch.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

First ever attempt at making gifs. The Fusilli Jerry.

This is the best visual of the entire series. Only Jerry Stiller.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

imac1984 posted:

I've been trying to figure out all day with the crotch grab part of that could possibly be

I like to think it's a case of Stiller not really understanding what he was supposed to be doing and just going with it, and the result being better than anything anyone else could've thought of.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah she looks great. Compare to some other 90s sitcom females that are currently on Cougar Town and look like blown up plastic dolls.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

The whole point of the joke was that they didn't know. They were bullshitting.

Jerry does that a lot really.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
It's on the dvd.

Also, Frank not wanting to take his shoes off was brought up at least two more times.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

HateTheInternet posted:

Oh god no, I was just relating his experience of hearing an observational joke whose punchline relies on ignorance of how things work. Not so much the "falling out of love" part. Guess I shouldn't have brought it up, whoops.

I just hate it when entertainers don't do their homework.

I'd think most comedians (not named mencia or cook) actually put way more thought into their jokes than anyone else would, and in most of those cases probably know what they're saying isn't exactly right but as long as it gets laughs they'll tell it.

Sienfeld himself was(is?) extremely meticulous with the way he phrased jokes and his timing. A lot of people now see how Larry David's mind influenced Seinfeld thanks to Curb, but I don't think people should underestimate Seinfeld's contribution to what made the 'voice' of the show so memorable.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Relayer posted:

The one joke of his that always really bugs me due to it's ignorance is the one about how orchestras don't really need a conductor. They definitely do need a conductor, so much that the joke always comes off as genuinely ignorant to me as opposed to intentionally ignorant for the sake of humor, like the black box joke.

Not that I don't still find it extremely funny the way he mimes the nervous cello player.

Well that one is kind of true though. Most orchestras could play the standard repetoire in their sleep, and only need someone to say 'go.'

The bit is funny to me not as 'conductors are useless' but as 'all that arm waving up there ain't as important as he things it is.'

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 7, 2010

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

coolhockey posted:

No, you're totally right, that joke always stands out to me as terribly ignorant.

I am an orchestral musician and I think it's funny :colbert:

Again, it's the specific of how he phrases it. He never says "CONDUCTERS ARE SO STUPID AMIRIGHT??" he's just incredulous. Here's the actual quote:

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

I tell ya, I never really understood the importance of the conductor. I mean
between you and me, what the hell is this guy doing? Do you really need
somebody waving a stick in your face to play the violin? Does that really help
you out? I could see how we need him at the beginning. Okay, tap-tap-tap,
start. Okay, I can see how you need that. But once we're going, okay, once
it's all happening, what do we need him for then? I don't see the cellist
looking up, go, "I'm confused. I don't know what to do. I don't know what to
do." And the conductor goes, "Do this. Like this" "Oh, okay, thank you very
much.

bobservo posted:

I personally enjoy the extremely dated "has this ever happened to YOU?" material. I recall one bit about being asked by the operator to insert more money while using a pay phone.

I love any time phone's or answering machines came up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBpsrlAUJLQ&feature=related

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2010

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Flobbster posted:

When I was watching that season of Curb and got to the last few episodes, the iPhone references gave me such an awkward anachronistic feeling. I guess that's expected when we haven't been able to see the characters evolve in the interim, and Seinfeld wasn't a show that usually had the latest technology of the day play a major role in the plot of an episode. (But I could be forgetting a couple.)

Sienfeld was always a product of it's time. Current events and pop culture were a constant source of stories and jokes. Get the DVDs and turn on the Notes about Nothing to realize just how often those kind of things actually come up.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Flobbster posted:

Yes, current events and pop culture were obviously a big deal, but what I was referring to was technology in particular. I'm having trouble remembering times when the "latest hot gadget" was the plot point in an episode. My memory could be clouded by the passing years, but it's not like the Wizard personal organizer or the label maker were the thing to own when a plot centered around them.

Then again, watching the show over a decade later means I wouldn't recognize the references as new for the time it was filmed.

The Wizard was supposed to be an early sort of palm pilot though. There weren't a lot of references to gadgets because it was still the 90s.

There was that joke about 'what's e-mail?' in the betrayal. And Kramer once mentioned how he heard about something in Jerry's personal life on the internet.

Jerry thought a 2 line phone was a very cool gift. the finale had the 'cell phone walk and talk' Numerous stuff about answering machines. Alarm Clocks.

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 7, 2010

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

bruckner posted:

I think what I'm getting at is that nobody under 60 years old cares about I love lucy.

I have no idea what you're talking about. There are young people who won't watch things in Black and white or with laugh tracks out of priniciple, but they are morons. I Love Lucy is timeless.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Cane Break posted:

Lucy is timeless but Seinfeld will have the benefit of immediate heavy syndication and a much bigger presence of tv in peoples' lives in general.

I love Lucy had more viewers than Sienfeld ever did, and Ball and Arnez were TV Royalty. Lucy has also been in continuous syndication for nearly 50 years. That we're even talking about a show that went off the air 55 years ago is remarkable. No other show from the era stands close.

Bobfromsales fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 18, 2010

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

bruckner posted:

I forgot how funny it was at the end of muffin tops when newman was called in to eat all the stumps as if it were his specialty, like he was on a case, and he brought in a toolbox of milk bottles.

This is a reference to Pulp Fiction if anyone didn't know.

And that's why the Notes about Nothing were such a genius idea.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

safety dan posted:

The part of Pulp Fiction that it was referencing was itself a reference to La Femme Nikita.
And that's why the notes about nothing were such a genius idea.

Clearly I need to watch my Seinfeld DVDs again :eng101:

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

GET MONEY posted:

Where is the clip starting ~1:54 where Jerry diabolically leans into the scene from? It's the only one in the whole (amazing) video I don't recognize and I must watch that episode immediately.

The Thanksgiving parade at Tim Watley's house that Jerry wasn't invited to. from The Mom and Pop Store.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
I think Megan Mullally has the same 'hotter as she gets older' affliction as Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Or maybe 90s fashion was just really unflattering for women.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Everyone remembers serenity now, but the thing that kills me every time I watch that episode is Estelle screaming at the top of her lungs from inside the house.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

myron_cope posted:

I feel so cheated :smith: It seems to me that they're cutting out like a full minute or two, is it just for more commercials?

Yes. It feels like we lose 1 minute every ten years.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Ironically, I found that little back and forth about salsa they had to be one of the few times where the dialogue DIDN'T feel natural.

Is it? Or is it so natural that I just blew your mind?!?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

myron_cope posted:

That dude in question is Larry Charles. Who is insane. And looks like an Amish guy. I think he directed bill maher's movie and works on CYE and a bunch of other poo poo.

I really do not like most of Larry Charles' episodes. His tone is just too dark and doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

He occasionally directs Curb and brings those wierd touches to that show too and it still doesn't fit.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Mystic_Squid posted:

So George Costanza apparently has hair now.

Thick, lustrous hair is very important to me.

Oh man. I hope there's another season of Curb so Alexander can come back and LD can call him a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

The Narrator posted:

No, it offends me as a comedian!

Y'know you've given this comedy thing your best shot. Yeah, you had some good observations, but it's over. Now, this Bloomingdale thing, that could be the next wave!