Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Flobbster posted:

Jerry's wardrobe wasn't a whole lot better, in some of those early episodes where he was wearing a pink undershirt with a bright purple dress shirt over it :gonk:

At least Kramer's retro shirts were timeless.

That was Jerry with his celebrity lifestyle-- flashy, making the scene, flouting convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dr_Amazing posted:

I know Vanderlay from Vanderlay Industries, but what's the origin of Jerry and Kraner's fake names?

edit: But was there another circumstance where each name was used?

Van Nostrand came from an earlier episode when Kramer was posing as a dermatologist screening people at Kruger Industrial Smoothing so George could get a shirtless picture of Kruger in order to have a photo retouched to prevent Kruger from realizing that George was the man who threw his childrens' beach setup into the ocean in mixed-up berserker rage [two notes: (1) I really enjoy attempting to recap latter-season Seinfeld plots in a single sentence, (2) Kruger is by far the most underrated Seinfeld character of all time-- in my opinion he's Goerge's best boss, even better than Steinbrenner-- it absolutely kills me every time Frank refers to him as "Mr. Cougar").

I don't think Kal Varnsen came out before that episode, but I do enjoy that they all have developed vaguely Scandinavian aliases.

edit: just realized that Kramer was Pennypacker in that episode and not Van Nostram. I'm pretty sure Vandelay is the only recurring name.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 11, 2010

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think the primary lesson in Seinfeld is to always have a go-to preposterous sounding alias.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WoG posted:

"It's no picnic." or "HOOCHIE MAMA!" spring to mind.

YO YO MA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ishamael posted:

I actually saw Jason Alexander in a 7-11 on Vine St. in LA, wearing a Kruger Industrial Smoothing t-shirt. That was awesome.

He just wanted to buy a bag of potato chips, but the 7-11 clerk couldn't stop babbling to him about how much he loved Seinfeld - it was kinda embarrassing.

THESE CHIPS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I told the driver, step on it buddy, I've got a toe here

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

'Cause he's MY BUTLER

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

And you know, once those gorillas accept you, you got it made in the shade.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

So, Ceausescu. He must've been some dictator.

Oh yes. He was not shy about dictating.

I assure you, if I had not been a dictator, I would not have been able to get away with that one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You, Cougar. My son says YOUR COMPANY STINKS

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

She's not going to put 'em on the glass

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

I think Jerry has a certain respect and even envy for George. Jerry forces himself into discipline, but a lot of classic moments show how much smarter and cunning George really is. George instantly picks up on bullshit and calls everyone on it - Jerry sits there and conforms to society. If Poppy had peed on George's couch, would he have left that apartment in one piece?

That leads to a great dynamic on the last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Jerry is the one person in the world who agrees with Larry's righteous codes of societal honor, but has just enough social savvy to get away with it or get Larry to do the dirty work of throwing down his meaningless gauntlets. Having said that, there's no way George is more cunning than Jerry.

The more I watch the show, the more underrated Jerry is of all of the leads and I think his relative lack of acting ability helps that-- the fact that no matter what horrible thing he's about to do or coerced George into doing, the fact that Seinfeld is always just about to crack up makes everything funnier. Imagine how dark Seinfeld would be if Jerry actually seemed bothered by things.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I assure you, if I had not been a dictator, I would not have been able to get away with that one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Krueger is the most underrated Seinfeld character

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Any chance someone here has a gif of Newman's "nice game, pretty boy" in the zapruder film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thanks!