Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

God, I loving love this thread. Thanks for all the clips and quotes and memories, guys :unsmith:

Also, here's my contribution. The "song" contained herein regularly gets stuck in my head at the most random times for absolutely no reason at least once a month and I don't mind because it is *awesome*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caoYdiq3kak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

cat doter posted:

Oh man, I just remembered an absolutely hilarious episode. The one where Jerry teaches that little kid the word gently caress. The way the kid delivers the "you fat gently caress!" line right at the end loving slays me.

Seinfeld was really fantastic with this sort of thing, I mean getting away with some extremely risque and off-color material you could never do on network TV by simply implying all of it and never directly stating it outright. It could be with clever edits, like the bit you're talking about, or like in "The Contest" where I don't think the word masturbation was ever spoken aloud. Hell, barely even any direct euphemisms for it were used.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 28, 2010

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

One thing I can't help but notice in all these clips is the laugh track, it's just so unbelievable awful. It's honestly shocking how used to those I was on basically every single comedy show in the '90s, while now they are (blessedly) very rare. Really distracting when it almost overwhelms the dialogue to the point where you can barely hear it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Your Proud Pal posted:

I'm pretty sure they used a live studio audience (specifically I think they rehearsed it in front of one, and used the laughter from the rehearsal as the laugh track) which is much better and more organic than the canned poo poo, making it more like stand-up comedy than normal sitcom laugh tracks. There's a blooper where George refers specifically to the laughing audience.

Oh yeah, you can really tell in one of those outtakes clips that just got posted, actually, when Jerry comments on their applause. I guess that makes it a little better, that it's not just canned? Doesn't really make much of a difference, ultimately, it's still pretty drat obnoxious. I just think Seinfeld would have benefited greatly from not having a laugh track, on the whole. If that were a feature on the DVDs, somehow being able to turn it off, holy poo poo I'd be all over them.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tiny Fistpump posted:

Is the "LUPUS? IS IT LUPUS?" official count at 3? That was my favorite little thing, that George's most terrifying illness fear was lupus.

It's not lupus.

I'm sorry, I had to! I'm so sorry. :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I can't believe The Boyfriend would be someones least favorite episode! Not only does it have the Magic Loogie scene (plus a great reference to Jerry and Keith possibly going to see JFK) but it also has the whole Vandelay Industries bit. It's classic.

I was just watching it actually, and the unemployment lady George was dealing with looked vaguely familiar - I actually thought it was Nancy Marchand, who played Livia Soprano, but bizarrely enough it turned out to be a different woman who played Tony Blundetto's mother on The Sopranos, i.e. the woman who would be Livia's sister on that show :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The Boyfriend is right, though,though. Picking up someone at the airport is a huge step.

Or dropping them off, either way. In terms of masculine relationships, that and moving really are very big deals. Especially if you're single, those are things you ask of the people closest to you, or family, and that's it. The funny thing is, I'm gay, and I still totally understand the mechanics of non-sexual male/male relationships as compared to sexual ones. I had a straight roommate for like 4 years, and we were great friends and lived together, picked one another up at the airport all the time, went out to eat all the time, saw movies together... Ironically it was like we were basically a couple without any intimacy or sex. We obviously still had real sexual relationships with others and our own interests and hobbies and everythng. It's just funny how that stuff works when you're an adult.

That Seinfeld episode made some good comments about it. But I always felt the episode where the writer mistakes George and Jerry for a couple addressed the same issue in a much funnier, more accurate way.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 19, 2010