Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've loved it since I fist started watching it as a kid, probably about halfway through the series. I still watch reruns on TBS a few times a week. Some episodes I've seen far too many times and have to change the channel, but others are just so great I can't help but watch.

Having fallen in love with Curb Your Enthusiasm now, Seinfeld feels a little like Curb-lite sometimes, but the characters are so fantastic it doesn't really matter. Kramer storylines can be a little too wacky, but everything with Jerry, George, and Elaine is gold. Especially when Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays Elaine as pathetic and helpless :3:

Tiny Fistpump posted:

sometimes when people ask me stuff I say "yeah that's right" in a monotone while squinting. I don't care if they get it, it entertains me and that's all that counts.

Oh I definitely have picked up a few of Jerry's mannerisms like this.

e:

Parachute posted:

Definitely agreeing here, especially since I think my favorite overall episode is "The Voice". George's fallout from Play Now! was just too perfect, not to mention it had a great cheesy running-on-the-pier montage moment with Jerry, too.

I completely agree. I will never get tired of this episode and every plotline is classic. Whenever I watch it I'm surprised at how much iconic material came from that one episode.

"I'm covered in oil! LA LA LAH! I'm just so glad it's back."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiny Fistpump posted:

That is a Puddy-ism!

I meant that as "in this same way."

But as for the finale, I've grown to love it in time as well. Aside from the clip show aspect of it, it just serves as a great reminder that no matter what happens to these people, no matter where they go or what they do, they'll always just be the same petty, small, selfish people.

Also, I just love it when we get reminders that Jerry is actually a huge rear end in a top hat. Like when he moves in on Beth in The Yada Yada or when he sells George out at the end of The Bookstore.

e: vvv

Not even personal tragedy, but just every time something goes wrong for them. Especially when it's between Elaine and George.

"Where did [Susan's Parents] get the idea that you have a place in the Hamptons?"
"...From me."
"What did you say?"
"I told them I have a place in the Hamptons. What did you say?"
"I told them you didn't. And I laughed and I laughed."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 22, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I always thought that it was "about nothing" because the characters were so petty that the plots mostly revolved around minutiae that most people would ignore or just let pass by, i.e. it's nothing to them, but to the characters it's very important.

Like the "The ocean called" thing was just something most people would forget about soon after, but to George it became a huge deal.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 24, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Fffffff, is it gonna make any sense to me if I just watch Season 7 or have I just been suckered into watching 7 seasons of yet another show?

Suckered nothing. Curb Your Enthusiasm is basically the Seinfeld sequel. And the fact that it contains a literal sequel within that should just seal the deal for watching the whole show.

But if you do insist on watching just Season 7, the only thing that hasn't been mentioned so far that you should know is that Larry David is a huge rear end in a top hat. I don't think you can step into 7x01 without knowing that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 27, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

Just watching the DVD documentaries. It's crazy how much the original idea for the show is basically the pilot for Curb Your Enthusiasm. It was originally planned that the show would just be a 90 minute special of Seinfeld wandering around the city getting ideas for material followed by his stand up.

Isn't Comedian basically the original idea for Seinfeld, minus the fiction?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

Going back to what was said on the last page-- do you think the stand-up bits are meant to be Character Jerry doing material on what's happening in his life in the show or just Real Jerry doing topical material that mostly points to what's going on in the show? I've watched the show for most of my life, but I've never really thought about that until I was wading through the show for the second time since I got the collection last Christmas.

Yeah, looking at it now it's definitely supposed to be the former, but my young self didn't give it a second thought and thought it was the latter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

At the time I was disappointed in it because I'd let myself get too caught up in the hype of THE BIG FINALE but as the years have gone by and I've thought about it, it really was a stupendous finale. These horrible, horrible people finally having every horrible thing they've ever done come back on them and forced to sit there and suffer society's condemnation... and yet they still remain unaffected and indifferent to it all. Doubly effective because it forced the viewers to accept that, there's no getting around it, they might love Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine but they ARE horrible, horrible people.

What makes me laugh now looking back is all the people who were convinced that the show would end with a marriage, like Jerry and Elaine getting married or something, which was just.... I mean... did these people ever watch the show?

I completely agree, but at the time I didn't like it for 3 reasons: a huge chunk of it was just a clips episode, they weren't in New York, and they had some uncharacteristic sets (plane, small town). It just didn't feel the same to my 12 year old self.

In retrospect, however, I love the episode, and I've put it in nearly the exact same words as you before

feedmyleg posted:

But as for the finale, I've grown to love it in time as well. Aside from the clip show aspect of it, it just serves as a great reminder that no matter what happens to these people, no matter where they go or what they do, they'll always just be the same petty, small, selfish people.

The Curb Seinfeld finale was great, too, though, because it returned everything to the status quo, which is perfect for one of the most iconic sitcoms ever. The only thing that didn't work for me completely was Amanda. Cheryl's actress actually would have actually been perfect for the role, because although she's beautiful, she's got an unconventional look to her that fits with the cast of the show. The replacement girl just looked too much like a supermodel. George was rich enough at the time, I guess, that he could date upward.

Also: Why oh why didn't Larry throw some of his enormous personal wealth in and just film the entire episode as a DVD extra?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 8, 2010

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lurkaccount posted:

Say hello to my big friend!

This is the best blooper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hZsDRnkPM&t=6m34s

It goes on for like 3 minutes and by the end everyone is cracked up. It also comes from one of my favorite episodes, The Susie. The part at 7:40 where Jerry starts to say his line and then just looks at Julia and preemptively stars laughing is awesome, as is the weird look Mike does at 9:31.

"Yeah, but I didn't."

That's amazing. I sympathize with her, though. If I were on the Seinfeld set I would never be able to contain myself.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TBS just had 2 episodes on that I've either never seen or have very little recollection of (George arguing with someone about a parking spot, then Jerry taking Kramer's keys back). I'v watched the show mostly through syndication (the last season and a half I watched live), this makes me wonder how many episodes I haven't seen. I guess I just assumed I saw them all. One of these days I'm going to have to get the DVDs and do a complete rewatch.

e: Also, I love watching things from the 90s that are completely problems that could be solved by having cellphones.