Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I watched this a lot as a kid and I've probably seen every show at least a few times, but I have almost no concept of complete episodes. I might be able to tell you one character's strand but I don't remember how they all fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

haljordan posted:

I keep waiting for one of my friends to call me in a completely frantic state with a long, drawn out tale of woe so I can calmly respond "Who is this?" with a poo poo-eating grin on my face.

The best part of that is how he starts banging the phone on the wall.

I've always loved how George always tries to tell one little lie to get out of doing something and it will end up snowballing into this giant thing that he has to try and hide. If only he could ever admit the first lie.

Also I've heard there's a superman joke in every single show. I knows there's a lot but is there really that many?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't even remember the context of the clip but I can't stop laughing at it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJnE-uiJvo

This was a weird show growing up because pretty much 100% of any names dropped were people I had never heard of. There's a lot of stuff that's much funnier when I rewatch it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

-Atom- posted:

If my friend can't remember a name, he'll say Bob Sacramento regardless of gender.

Mulva?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Flobbster posted:

Another subtle gag I didn't pick up on until years later: In the episode where George goes to that family's apartment to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's to cheat in his book club and spills grape juice on their sofa, and Poppy pees on Jerry's couch. Elaine asks Jerry what he's going to do with the couch and Jerry says something like "Oh, George is taking it, he said he'll just flip the cushion over". I just always thought this was George being cheap -- it only hit me later that it was implied that he was going to replace that family's juice-stained couch with the pee-stained one.

I never caught this either.

The one for me that I got years later is when Jerry is dating an actress that freaks out over everything. The lead is injured (by George) and she stops the play to tie her shoe. The whole thing was making fun on Tonya Harding. I only got it because the rerun was on soon after she was on celebrity boxing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Wasco Jr. posted:

I really like Seinfeld but I really don't understand the "It's about nothing" tag it gets, it's about a comedian and his friends lives I really don't see how it's that different from something like Friends in that respect, great show though.

"Well I had sex with your wife!"

I'd say it was more about the plot than the characters. The whole point of a lot of shows at the time was to stick everyone in crazy situations. Instead we had a lot of everyday stuff like waiting in a restaurant.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That one is great just for the calm phone call he makes after breaking in through the vents.

"if you see him tell him I'M IN MY OFFICE!!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
how did that Downtown one actually end? Do they tell us what George was supposed to be doing?

Did Seinfeld invent the term "double dipping" a chip? It's the first place I ever heard it. that show was really a modern day Shakespeare with all the little contributions to language it made.

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Dan a man posted:

Hah, I love it whenever Jerry asks who is on the phone. Like when Sophie (the tractor story woman) calls Jerry and he really doesn't know who it is.

Jerry: Hello?
Sophie: Hey. It's me.
Jerry: Elaine?
Sophie: No, it's me.
Jerry: George?
Sophie: Jerry, it's Sophie. I can't believe you don't recognize my voice.
Jerry: Oh, I knew it was you, I was joking. I'm a comedian.

Or when George calls Jerry and frantically asks him for a favor, and Jerry just responds smugly: "Who is this?"

I really love the reverse of this where Jerry is trying to do the "it's me" back to her and she mistakes him for someone else. He starts talking in this hilarious voice to try to impersonate someone he's never hear speak. I die laughing every time I hear him talking like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tiny Fistpump posted:

It's bullshit that the Puerto Rican parade episode will never be aired in syndication

What's the deal with this one? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DrBouvenstein posted:

I loved all the fake movies they came up with.

"Sack Lunch" Look at them! How's they get in that sack? Is it a big sack, or did they get shrunk?

"PROGNOSES NEGATIVE!!"

"Cry, Cry Again." You cry, and then you see her dance...and you cry again.

"Rochelle, Rochelle" A young girls' erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

Then 10 years later I find out that "The English Patient" is a real movie and I have to read the book for English class.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Especially when you remember how gawky awesome he was in UHF, as well as Seinfeld.

I remember that when someone posted the thread about it here, the very first reply was someone saying "They shouldn't have taken his mop.:colbert:"

This is also great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrILied_LC8&feature=related

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Like 10 years ago I saw a commercial where Jason Alexander was selling a self help book called "I know better than you" was this something he really did or was it a commercial for some other show or movie he was in that I never heard of?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

HorseHeadBed posted:

Seinfeld re-imagined as a heartfelt drama. Amazing what a soundtrack can do.
http://tv.gawker.com/5528419/the-serious-side-of-seinfeld

I shed a single tear when I watched this.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The thing about George is that all of his flaws are extremely human. Everyone knows someone that does as little as possible at work, or that tells white lies to get out of commitments. We've all felt like refusing to go through with some sort of social obligation or hating to apologize when we don't think we did anything wrong.

George just has all of these things crammed into on character.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Philip J Fry posted:

The one that really got me wasn't in an episode I don't think, but from Seinfeld's comedy CD. He mentions how you're in the shower sometimes and you notice a hair stuck to the wall and proceed to gather little pools of water with your hands to throw at it so you don't have to touch it. I thought I was the only one! :monocle:

Haha I had this on a cassette tape. I listened to it so much I could probably recite most of it without having heard it in like 10 years.

edit:
I think my favorite is the whole bit about medicine ads.
"Finally we're getting some more Retsin"

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 4, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"That Oscar Myers is creepy too. This guy is inventing meats."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Or why the doctor seems to leave you for so long...

(frantically flipping through medical textbook) "Jesus Christ, that was pretty gross... what the hell was that?!"

"That wasn't the tube or the circle!"

One thing that always bugged me: When he's talking about the superman suit, he says "but it's not the super fit... that you are hopin' fo.'" He says it in this weird stilted way that I'm sure he must be doing something visually, but I've never had any idea what he was going for there.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just finished the first season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." So far I'm liking it. It strikes a good balance between "he's technically right but why would you do that" and "I agree 100%."

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

olylifter posted:

Just watching The Engagement, and the part when Susan and George are talking about The Muted Heart in the lobby of the theatre after, and Jerry walks by talking to a guy about firestorm?

"AND THEN HE JUMPS OUT OF THE AIRPLANE AND AS HE'S FALLING HE'S SHOOTING BACK AT IT!!!!"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Klaus Kinski posted:

I started my nth run through the series. Observations so far:
Elaine is alot funnier once you actually pay attention to her.
They really are horrible people, they may actually be worse than the it's always sunny gang.

I can knock out half a season/day if I fastforward through the intro and standup parts :woop:.

There's no way they're worse. The Seinfeld crew may be petty and judgemental but it's nothing compared to Always Sunny.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what was the thing that made you decide you loved the show? For me I was too young to really like a lot of it, until I saw the frogger episode. I think everyone who ever played video games has lost a saved game and knows exactly how George felt.

What was that trucker's problem anyway?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I used to have this sound clip on my computer of Jerry saying "What the heck is email?" in this totally bewildered tone. I have no idea of the context but I used it as my new email sound for years because I found it halarious. It's such a good example of how 90s that show is.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

OldSenileGuy posted:

I use it every time I'm at 1st and 1st. :smug:

EDIT: Also, the thing on Seinfeld I never understood was the two-line phone that Jerry gets. Do these actually exist? I always thought you either had to have 2 separate phone lines coming into you apartment with a 2-line phone, or the phone company had to support and activate call waiting.

Isn't that what happened?He only had the phone so it didn't work.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

mojo1701a posted:

Hell of a find: every single one of Kramer's entrances into Jerry's apartment.

It's...evolving. :aaa:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is that the one where Puddy is just going to stare at the seat in front of him the whole time and it really bugs Elaine?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tender Bender posted:

I am that guy and it always bugs the poo poo out of people.

Don't you want a book or anything?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Or Jerry's story about the big race.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I always thought they were saying "Surrender me now"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I know Vanderlay from Vanderlay Industries, but what's the origin of Jerry and Kraner's fake names?

edit: But was there another circumstance where each name was used?

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 10, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What episodes would you show a Japanese person who has never seen the show and has only the vaguest concept of the plot and characters? The one with Kramer shoving the Japanese tourists into drawers was the first thing I thought of but I figured I'd get an expert opinion.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That episode was so much better once I'd actually seen "The English Patient." What a boring boring movie.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Poque posted:

In tonight's Chuck, Chuck interviewed at Vandelay Industries. :3:

Bah I came here to post this.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've been teaching English to elementary school kids in Japan. I always start off the class with a big "Heeeellloooo." I only just realized that I've been doing the voice.

Now they're doing it too.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

"You mean the panties your mother laid out for you?"

Everything about that line confuses me. What does Jerry mean? Why is it so offensive?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Irish Joe posted:

You guys are set up with that chip and dip system so you're not typing 16 digits every time you want to pump gas. We have to punch in our pin everywhere, so four digits is the standard.

My bank let you go up to 16 digits and that was on a normal bank card. 4 digits is just the minimum.

And does anyone actually say clitoris like that?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

imac1984 posted:

which way? I definitely say it the first way with the TOR

In a way that rhymes with Dolores.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

One of my favorite early George scenes;

George: What if the pilot gets picked up and it becomes a series?

Therapist: That'd be wonderful, you'd be rich and successful.

George:Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about. God will never let me be successful...he'd kill me first! He'll never let me be happy.

Therapist:I thought you didn't believe in God?

George: I do for the bad things.

This might sound dumb but I actually have no idea how the whole "pitching their own show" thing ended up. I've seen them writing it, pitching it, and in meeting. I know George hosed it up at least once but managed to salvage it. Does their show actually ever make it on TV?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'm not a gun guy, you can check to see how often I post in TFR (never) but seeing idiotic musicians, television characters, comedians or writers confuse the gauge system always peeves me. The larger the number, the smaller the diameter. Hence, an 11 gauge (if there is such a thing) would be larger than a 12 gauge. IIRC, electrical wiring works the same way.

I'm not a physicist either, but I think it's been pointed out that "Of course, absolute zero!" was a little off-putting as well.
What an awful system. What if someone wants to make something bigger than a 1 gauge. They'd have to start going into negative numbers and that just gets silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've still never seen the last episode. Everytime I try something happens that prevents me from finishing it.