Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Ruckus Report:

I got the variator, belt, and CDI in the mail Wednesday, and was able to put it all in this afternoon.

The belt that I got was slightly narrower than my old belt. I didn't have a caliper or anything, but it was just over the width of a credit card (which is .76mm according to the internet), so just about 1mm. It was also a bit shorter, again, no idea by how much. I could get the original belt on and off the crankshaft pretty easily, where I really had to mash this new belt into the clutch pulley in order to get it on.

I put the 5.6g weights that came with my variator in it. The boss that came with the new variator wouldn't slide through the bushing very easily, so I put the slightest dab of graphite on my finger and went around the circumference of it, and shoved it back on. I just assumed that it would wear in after riding a bit, which seemed to be the case.

I strapped the CDI under the low fuel/hi-beam indicators, but the cover wouldn't fit back on. It seems pretty roomy under there, but I guess that's not the case. I ended up strapping it on top of the battery, which is kinda inconvenient but I just bought a new battery, so whatever. The CDI harness was so long, it almost took up as much space as the CDI itself; I just wedged the whole thing under the indicators.

It was kinda sluggish above 30 for the first few miles, but once I got 5 miles in or so, the performance gain was really obvious. I assumed this was from wearing in the aforementioned variator bushing. I can hit 20-25 in about half of a neighborhood block. I could go just above 40 on the same 1/3 mile stretch of road I mentioned before, but it has a few S-turns and it was rush hour so I couldn't keep it full throttle. I took it to a flat piece of highway and waited for the lights to give me some space, and I was able to peg the speedometer, which I'm guessing is 45. I didn't have my phone on me to measure it. I would of filmed it for the sake of ya'll, but I have no way to mount my phone, and that would be a comically stupid way to die.

Hella impressed with what a couple hundred bucks did for this thing. I definitely felt a bit safer in crazy rush hour traffic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Just bought a 1985 Honda Elite 150, time to get gay as gently caress!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah one more for the big gay elite army!! DO ASK AND DO TELL

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I finally got a scooter! :woop:

2002 Yamaha Neos 50cc, in very good original condition. It was a goddamn steal, paid about $450 for it. Runs great, I just need to adjust the idle speed a little, it stalls out sometimes at red lights.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a good lookin scoot. You got a fantastic deal. Have fun with it!

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I'm looking to sell a 2010 Honda SH150i in the SF Bay area, but can't seem to find pricing guidelines like blue book for scooters. Are older scoots priced pretty uniformly, or how do folks figure out the right asking price?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Dalrain posted:

I'm looking to sell a 2010 Honda SH150i in the SF Bay area, but can't seem to find pricing guidelines like blue book for scooters. Are older scoots priced pretty uniformly, or how do folks figure out the right asking price?

How much did you pay for it? How many miles are on it? What shape is it in?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Fayez Butts posted:

How much did you pay for it? How many miles are on it? What shape is it in?

Paid 4k, 8k miles, fair condition. (Garage rash but not bad, tires are good tread but aged out I suppose)

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i've joined the deadest, gayest ranks of these forums after being given this 1985 yamaha riva 125 which had been collecting dust in a garage for 2 years. going to give a thorough check up before trying to start it, and tires are from 2006 and also installed the wrong way (or uh... "rotated"). going to have to replace those as well, but i'm only in $0 to start!

Misc fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 9, 2019

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I assure you goon sir that there are far deader, gayer ranks in this here wasteland but welcome!

The scoot + kei truck combo is adorable.

And yeah the tires should prob be replaced but pay no attention to the "front" and "rear" markings on the tires, it makes gently caress all difference. My scoot has a michelin 'front' city grip tire on the rear because they didn't make a 'rear' that fit it. The tread patterns are different but it's just marketing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

What's a good price to offer on a 93 helix? This dude thinks it's 'a classic like a 67 camaro' and thus worth $1400.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2019

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

red19fire posted:

What's a good price to offer on a 93 helix? This dude thinks it's 'a classic like a 67 camaro' and thus worth $1400.

Oh hey, I was also looking at this scooter. This is a pretty standard price for Helixes in this area. That said, it's definitely been modded, check out the windshield and spoiler. It seems to be in pretty good condition, though. Definitely find out how many miles are on it, though I doubt he's gonna go below 1250.

I think your best bet is to try Facebook Marketplace or wait till winter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s not a horrible price for a Helix with fully intact plastics. Like, I’d be happy taking it for $1000 or 1200 but 14 isn’t a rip off, really.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

“Museum exhibited”

https://bid.gwsauctions.com/auction...exhibited-1404/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao it even has the Chinese knockoff Mercedes tail lights top box

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

:getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2h5xMDT21w

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I've got some serious ruckus problems going on right now...

So my last ruckus was stolen, and I decided to buy a new one. I installed an aftermarket CDI and variator, just like my old one had.

The ruckus stalled out hard as I stopped for a light. I walked it off the road, and tried to start it again. The starter wouldn't turn it over. I try to kickstart it, and hear a terrible grinding noise. I called a friend to pick me and the ruckus up, and take us back home. I've got a whole 20 miles put on it.

I took the variator back out to take a look at it, and it's perfectly fine. It seems like the grinding noise is coming from the crankcase. I try to turn it over slowly with a wrench, and it feels normal, and the grinding sound goes away after a few cycles, but of course something is seriously hosed up in there. I try the electric start again, and it doesn't turn over.

I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm guessing that they'll tell me that I'm poo poo out of luck after installing the CDI. What could I have broken, and what am I in for here to get it fixed?

Worst comes to worst, it's getting a gy6.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most aftermarket CDI’s have the rev limiter removed. Combine that with an aftermarket variator and you have a recipe for over-rev. I’m. Guessing your valves and piston had a party together :hfive:

Or you threw your crank out

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah that's the case with the CDI. I don't think they interfere, otherwise I feel like I would've hosed my old one up a long time ago.

If I turn the crankshaft by hand, I can feel the piston compress like it would otherwise, there's just something on the crankshaft that is not intact anymore.

I guess I've already convinced myself that I'd need a new crankshaft, but the manual makes it look like it comes in one monolithic piece. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pay a shop to replace it, or to get a new engine. I'd try my hand at it, but I live in the middle of the city and don't have a garage, and I don't think I could do it in a day on the side of the street.

What really sucks is that I can't seem to find another case of it happening, and it all worked really well on my old one. But I'm just trying to feel better about loving up a brand new engine ...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 18, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah a ruckus crank will not have a big end cap, the crank is pressed around the big end bearing. Gotta get the whole thing

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

dougdrums posted:

Yeah that's the case with the CDI. I don't think they interfere, otherwise I feel like I would've hosed my old one up a long time ago.

If I turn the crankshaft by hand, I can feel the piston compress like it would otherwise, there's just something on the crankshaft that is not intact anymore.

I guess I've already convinced myself that I'd need a new crankshaft, but the manual makes it look like it comes in one monolithic piece. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to pay a shop to replace it, or to get a new engine. I'd try my hand at it, but I live in the middle of the city and don't have a garage, and I don't think I could do it in a day on the side of the street.

What really sucks is that I can't seem to find another case of it happening, and it all worked really well on my old one. But I'm just trying to feel better about loving up a brand new engine ...

Take the engine off the bike and bring it indoors to work on it, just put a tarp down so you don't gently caress the floor up. Or just change the bike back to stock and turn it in to the dealer.

Anyways, had some nice weather today so I took the Neos out for a spin, washed it, then found a place to snap some cool pics:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Cached Money posted:

Take the engine off the bike and bring it indoors to work on it, just put a tarp down so you don't gently caress the floor up. Or just change the bike back to stock and turn it in to the dealer.

Anyways, had some nice weather today so I took the Neos out for a spin, washed it, then found a place to snap some cool pics:

Ya that's the plan I think. If I crack it open and it's really hosed up, I'll just buy another engine on ebay or something.

I cut into the harness and soldered the CDI into it, so I'm not sure what my chances are of getting it covered under warranty. I could solder the harness back together and tape it up, but it would still be pretty obvious if someone took a look under the battery box.

But that's a handsome scoot you've got. I wasted like a whole hour at work looking for a parking garage with a good skyline view on google maps before I broke mine :xd:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This probably applies to more topics than just scooters but it is a scooter so I'm posting it here.

Back story: we're a Genuine dealer, we sold a used Roughhouse 50 to a guy last spring. It had a new top end on it and about 5k miles on the bottom end and chassis. Guy was a very unassuming small old dude who had a Puch moped before this. You wouldn't know it to look at him, but it turns out the dude is a goddamn monster. He put 10k miles on it in one summer. Remember, this is a stock 50cc scooter. No big bore, nothing, top speed about 45. He rode around the state doing amateur photography apparently. He was pretty good about not beating on the motor, I think he was cruising at 40mph or less.

End of the season, it's starting to have running/starting issues, he trades it in to us for a Buddy 125. Just recently we opened that RH50 up for a new top end and discovered some poo poo that kinda blew my mind. The entire top end looks totally good to me, looks like it could easily do another 10k. No sticky rings, no scoring on anything. Outside of the cylinder looked like poo poo, rusty etc, but who cares about the outside? There was only one thing wrong with it. Exhaust port was more than 50% plugged up with carbon. It's solid as hell, you'd have to remove it with a chisel I think. Can't see it in the photo but the carbon is only right at the piston, there's none of it at the flange where the exhaust pipe attaches.

I emailed this photo back to Genuine asking their thoughts on this, they say it's low quality oil. I guess I'm going to believe them, I do trust those guys, but it sounds like an awful convenient explanation from a manufacturer, you know? And the chemistry of what's going on there does make sense. Fancier oil probably wouldn't congeal and harden like that, and this thing was clearly running high temperatures for extended periods.

So let this be a lesson, if you intend to ride a Vino 50 from NYC to LA and back, maybe more than once, use JASO FD rated oil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah that dude owns

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah that dude owns

Yeah buy that man an account lol.

Re: soot issues; my Yamaha was acting pretty weird shortly after I bought it and what seems to have been the problem was a clogged up exhaust, I changed the piston and rings out too just for good measure. If the cylinder exhaust port was that blocked you might also want to burn the pipe out or replace it.

Also, imo you should always be using full synthetic oil for scooters.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We replaced the pipe just because the old one was rusty and ugly as poo poo, but if we still have the old one sitting around I may try blowing some air through it just to see if it seems clogged. The more I think about it the more this kind of makes sense. It's a very low tech system, just a straight cast iron cylinder. The fins on it are absolutely tiny, considering the power those motors make. So it won't be radiating much heat if it's on sustained throttle and it'll just run hot as hell all the time. Still impressed by the metallurgy of the piston and rings though. Wonder if a water cooled 2t would be less likely to clog up like that, all else being equal. But does anyone make a water 2t 50? I guess Aprilia does.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Water cooled two strokes were very common here in Europe, Yamaha, Peugeot, Piaggio group brands, etc, all made them. The market for two strokes is dying however due to new pollution control regulation but there are still some you can buy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone is going hard on Ebikes, but i want someone to go all in on two strokes

A man can dream

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

There are some cool scooters, it just seems like the USA didn't get that many. I wanted to post some cool ones, so here:

Peugeot Jetforce 125 Compressor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBd2XQzkRG0
125cc 4-stroke scooter with a supercharger, 19 horsepower engine!

Gilera Runner 180 FXR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRCellNkFg
One of the fastest stock 2 stroke scooters there are, 180cc, ~20 hp power output. They are a massive cop magnet because they're used in drive by shootings a lot in Europe. They have also been sold with 50cc carb/50cc EFI/125cc 2 strokes and 125cc/200cc 4-strokes. There's a Malossi 172cc kit for the 125/180 engine that seems nice.

Aprilia SR50 Ditech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCHb1DB6ZA
Fuel injected 2-stroke, I think these were sold in the US as well, will do 80+ kph if unrestricted (you remap the ECU with a Gameboy cartridge lol).

Italjet Dragster 50/125/180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3ZCVowvaA
Very unique space frame construction scooter. Came with a 50cc/125cc/180cc Piaggio engine (same as the Runner 180).

Italjet Formula 125 Twin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbBAI5lrIM
Another unique Italjet scooter, twin cylinder 125cc engine, very quick and sounds crazy. There are some bespoke tuning parts you can get for these, mainly expansion chamber exhausts.

Gilera ICE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-u2SZM_P4Y
This video shows a very tuned up one with a 172cc engine on it, but it's a very cool frame design, sort of similar to the Italjet Dragster. Must be really fun to drive with that powerful engine.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Cached Money posted:

Gilera Runner 180 FXR

These are cool, there's a guy here in Austin with two of them and is about to sell one supposedly and I'm seriously considering it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

CheddarGoblin posted:

These are cool, there's a guy here in Austin with two of them and is about to sell one supposedly and I'm seriously considering it.

I would, if I could.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
:iiam:

Took it out, it spins ok and doesn't make any noise. I don't know what was causing the problem. Maybe some gasket gunk got loose? Guess I'll just oil the poo poo out of it and put it back together.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I'm looking to join the gay brigade and get myself a small scooter to do errands around town in, something like a Ruckus or one of the genuine offerings. Is there some reason people on craigslist around me are marketing their 2015 scooters over the price of a brand new 2020? I feel like the main thing holding me back right now is just finding a used scoot in reasonable condition for under 2k.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's because ruckus owners, like Grom owners, are manchild idiots.

You want something like a zuma for a good scoot in that price range. Or much less if you are looking for something slow like a ruck.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I ride around Denver on a 50cc genuine 2 stroke. I got it for $800 four years ago with about 2000 miles on it and I haven’t put a dime into it other than brake pads.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Coydog posted:

That's because ruckus owners, like Grom owners, are manchild idiots.

You want something like a zuma for a good scoot in that price range. Or much less if you are looking for something slow like a ruck.

I've never ridden anything besides a bike, and even that has been years and years. I figured 50cc would be enough to start with and get my legs for it, unless I'm mistaken?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Diabeesting posted:

I've never ridden anything besides a bike, and even that has been years and years. I figured 50cc would be enough to start with and get my legs for it, unless I'm mistaken?

A 50cc 4 stroke (ruckus) is a miserable, slow turd with little room for improvement while a 2 stroke ( genuine buddy or roughhouse, 2011 and older zuma) is fun and can be kitted out to very fun.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Do you anticipate ever having to go above 35mph?

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Oh, I'll look for a 2stroke if thats the case! I just emailed a guy about a kymco agility for 400$ in the first hour of its posting... the guy emailed back with a lot of good info and then told me 6 people had already emailed him. I never see scooters out on the streets but they certainly sell like hotcakes when they do come up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Apparently Craigslist introduced a 5 dollar charge for vehicle postings so everyone fled en masse to FB Marketplace. If you aren't seeing a ton of cheap stuff on Craigslist look there just in case. Anecdotally the "I found this in my garage and I don't even know how it got there" kinds of scooter postings generally live there now.