Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Milwaukee, for example has a rule that anything under 100cc can be sidewalk parked.

There are tons of advantages to scooters and small bikes

My city has a similar rule, except the parking enforcement people can't be bothered to tell whether something is above or below the limit, so you can park anything on the sidewalk as long as it looks like a scooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Toe Rag posted:

I was thinking of getting a scooter because I can probably fit it behind my car and want something I can ride for a quick errand or into the office.
I used to do this. The place I live at now lets me park it in the bike area for free. Depending on where you're going, you can usually get away with parking right up at the entrance.

Also mine has a kickstarter and is 50cc so if the battery is drained it's still really easy to get started. I haven't had any battery problems since I bought a lithium one anyways.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My bike is small and the city has pretty relaxed parking regulations for bikes. I was hoping maybe the battery or charging systems are set up for the abuse since short rides seem to be the scooter's MO.

I’ll look into a LiFePo battery instead, although the thought having a bike (or scooter) in my garage is so tempting. My parking spot is on a lift and I’m afraid a bike on a side stand may fall over (besides not fit). Maybe I'll just build a little platform with a wheel chock.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Communist Walrus posted:

My city has a similar rule, except the parking enforcement people can't be bothered to tell whether something is above or below the limit, so you can park anything on the sidewalk as long as it looks like a scooter.

Here if you have a scooter that has a license plate (45 kph legal top speed (lol)) it's supposed to be parked like a motorcycle, i.e. on the street like a car. If you don't have a plate (25/30 kph limit, also can go on most bike paths) it counts as a bicycle so you can park it almost anywhere. I have my plate on a magnet due to some masterstroke from one of the previous owners, so I just remove it when I park so I can lock my scooter to a bike rack or put it on the sidewalk instead.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I want to irresponsibly get myself a moped for my very short >2 mile 30mph commute that I currently do in a normal car. My reason: I've just always wanted one. It's not a replacement for my car, I just want to have one. I'd like it to be of the 50cc/sub 50 variety so I don't have to title it in my state. I'd like it to not be utter trash but also not be super high-end, because I may discover I don't like riding after all. My only real requirement is that it be cute, with something like that Vespa look. To make it extra hard mode, I live in a rural town and don't have access to much in the way of dealers, so I'd be particularly interested in something that could be delivered to me. (I mean, I can drive 2 hours to a real city, but how do I drive that thing *back*, you know?) I don't have a truck to put it in, unfortunately. I guess I could rent something.

Anybody got any tips?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Yamaha Vino sounds like what you want.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Danknificent posted:

I want to irresponsibly get myself a moped for my very short >2 mile 30mph commute that I currently do in a normal car. My reason: I've just always wanted one. It's not a replacement for my car, I just want to have one. I'd like it to be of the 50cc/sub 50 variety so I don't have to title it in my state. I'd like it to not be utter trash but also not be super high-end, because I may discover I don't like riding after all. My only real requirement is that it be cute, with something like that Vespa look. To make it extra hard mode, I live in a rural town and don't have access to much in the way of dealers, so I'd be particularly interested in something that could be delivered to me. (I mean, I can drive 2 hours to a real city, but how do I drive that thing *back*, you know?) I don't have a truck to put it in, unfortunately. I guess I could rent something.

Anybody got any tips?

Where are you? Price range? Consider just getting it shipped. Probably run you an extra $500.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Cached Money posted:

Yamaha Vino sounds like what you want.

This, or a Honda Metropolitan.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

This is great. The Honda looks perfect and we do have a Honda powersport dealer here in town. I doubt they have one of these on the floor but I bet they can get one. This would also solve my problem of not knowing where I would take it if it needed work done.

I’ll give them a call and see. Thanks everyone.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

You don't need to have a scooter serviced by a dealer really, it's pretty much the simplest vehicle except maybe a pedal moped to fix yourself.

Also the Yamaha is faster, if you get the older two stroke ones.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I guess we're a scooter house now:

(oil spill from a project car, not the bikes)

07 Kymco People S 200 and a 08 Genuine Buddy 150 International Edition.

Found the Kymco for $400 on Facebook Marketplace last fall that had sat for three years not running. The battery cable had come loose and it was out of gas, so it took approximately five minutes of loving around with it once we got it home for it to be up and running.

Picked up the Buddy last month for a steal, less than 2k miles on it. I wanted one of these so badly when I was 17 and too afraid to drive a car. I still can't really believe that I found one because there aren't any dealers around here. It seems to be idling a little rough so we'll investigate more this weekend. We haven't dug too deep yet because we bought the Buddy the day before the massive cold front rolled in last month and will be getting it registered tomorrow.

My spouse rides a full size cruiser and wanted to get me to get comfortable with learning how to ride so that I could step up to a motorcycle once I got comfortable enough to get a full M endorsement. What happened, however, was that they fell in love with the Kymco for the three mile commute to the office despite people in lifted trucks calling them a dork at stoplights, so now we own two scooters and a motorcycle.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Gratz on your scoot life! Now you can both take scooter trips and joyrides with similar engine sizes. I like the look of the Kymco. While bro truck drivers will never not be the worst, a midsized scoot is a bucket list bike for me.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I love the Buddy Internationals, some of the prettiest scooters out there

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I love the Buddy Internationals, some of the prettiest scooters out there

How are Genuine scooters in the reliability department, generally speaking? My wife likes the looks and has always wanted a scooter. I have three bikes currently and wouldn't mind downsizing to make some room in the garage, and still having something smallish to tool around town on would be good, especially if she'll ride it too.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I went looking for an old review and torture test that was done to the People 200 non S that Minnesota motorcycle monthly did when the scoot first came out, but their presence on the net is gone. Too bad, they had some great articles. Anyway, they drove it flat out for 24 hours in the twin cities ring road, only filling up and doing the expected oil changes for the miles run. It did excellent.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Hey everyone,

I’ve been helping a friend get his 1960 150 CC 2 stroke Vespa running. It’s uh... an interesting design. I managed to get it running but when you close the throttle it takes a really long time to return to idle. (Cable is fine) My friend said it’s always been that way. Is that really possible? Seems unsafe to ride it like this.

I’ve only ever wrenched on 1970’s and 1980’s era Japanese inline fours. Two strokes are a mystery to me.

I made a short video below.

https://imgur.com/a/wzS7ECe=

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Video isn't working but check for air leaks, a 2t engine that has a hanging throttle usually comes from either that or being too lean I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s too lean if it won’t settle back to an idle quickly.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Jazzzzz posted:

How are Genuine scooters in the reliability department, generally speaking? My wife likes the looks and has always wanted a scooter. I have three bikes currently and wouldn't mind downsizing to make some room in the garage, and still having something smallish to tool around town on would be good, especially if she'll ride it too.

I'm still pretty new to the scooter thing but so far, finding parts was no issue at all and the Buddy 50/125/150/170 line has stayed effectively the same since 2007. Parts are easy to acquire even with the 150 only being around for two years because almost everything that works for the 125 also works for the 150.

So far from messing around in it yesterday, a couple of quality of life things have become clear in favor of the Buddy versus the People- carb and engine access is extremely easy. Access to the spark plug is removing one small body panel held on by four screws vs removing pretty much all the body panels on the Kymco. The list of tools we need to service it is extremely minimal. As far as we can tell, almost everything can be serviced by removing the front panel or seat bucket.

We worked on a few things yesterday to get it fully rideable for me. Test ride when we bought it had it pretty slow and sluggish. Idle just wasn't right even after adjusting the set screw. Couldn't seem to get above 30 when we got it to the DMV for the registration inspection which was luckily only a mile from our house.

Pulled the carb, cleaned and rejet it and in the process must put things back slightly wrong and as it was acting air starved but idling much better. Tried throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck so at one point we pulled the air filter assembly off and it solved the issue. Stuck a pod filter on and I like the way it looks without the air box even better.

A few photos from inside:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it’s too lean if it won’t settle back to an idle quickly.

Any suggestions on next steps or troubleshooting? The carb is in a weird metal shroud. Not sure where I would spray carb cleaner to find leaks.

Here is a parts diagram.

https://imgur.com/a/s9GxxO8

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 8, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, find where the airbox intakes fresh air. Tape over 1/4 to 1/2 of the intake and see if it runs better.

That will verify for you if it’s lean.

If it is lean then it’s time to check for air leaks, proper jetting and a dirty carb, in that order.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

How are Genuine scooters in the reliability department, generally speaking?
Top notch, some of the best. The PGO Genuines, anyway. Just the Buddies and Roughhouses. Does not include Stella, Venture.

Crayvex posted:

I’ve been helping a friend get his 1960 150 CC 2 stroke Vespa running. It’s uh... an interesting design. I managed to get it running but when you close the throttle it takes a really long time to return to idle. (Cable is fine) My friend said it’s always been that way. Is that really possible? Seems unsafe to ride it like this.
No audio there but yeah it shouldn't hang too much more than any other bike.
You're getting into a deep deep hole if you start working on those things. They do not conform to normal bike design principles in any way.
But the carb cover is the vaguely rectangular black metal thing held over the carb on the top of the engine with 2 screws. Take that off and you'll see most of the carb. It is not laid out like any normal bike carb. The filter/screen will come off with another screw or two and the intake will be obvious, mouth up, underneath it. The float bowl has its own small cap. As with all old 2t engines, there's a good chance of crank seal leaks. I'm not sure offhand what's the easiest way to check for that.

SpannerX posted:

I went looking for an old review and torture test that was done to the People 200 non S that Minnesota motorcycle monthly did when the scoot first came out, but their presence on the net is gone. Too bad, they had some great articles. Anyway, they drove it flat out for 24 hours in the twin cities ring road, only filling up and doing the expected oil changes for the miles run. It did excellent.
I know nobody asked me but I gotta say from working on them numerous times over the last 10 years my opinion of Kymco gets worse every time I touch one. They may stand up to a torture test when new but I see many People models with electrical issues that few other scooters would have. And many of them are a real bitch to work on. Removing rear suspension to change tire, 2 hours of work, dumb stuff like that. Unique relays running the headlights that blow out and are expensive. Brand new ones with rear wheels not bolted on true. I regard them as similar to Chinese scooters now and I generally don't recommend them to people.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Here is a YouTube link with audio:

https://youtu.be/YsCsKBPh8wU

I took the cover off the carb last night. You are right. This thing is completely alien to me. I’ve only worked on old Japanese motorcycles. This thing looks... weird.

I guess I’ll do some disassembly and go at it with carb cleaner. I don’t see where anything could leak.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i’m in a weird spot where i never got a full license (had a permit years ago) because i never needed it and was scared to actually learn. now i’m 30 and still don’t have one. does anyone have experience with a scooter as their only vehicle, and getting one with no license and no car? do i get driving lessons at a school, take the test, get the dl, and then get the scooter, and get lessons for that too? ultimately i’d like to get something above 49cc once i get a handle on the small guy. i understand i’ll need a motorcycle license for that? i’m in washington state.

also, what is it like to ride in the rain, and how’s traction? what kind of rain gear do you wear?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

nishi koichi posted:

i’m in a weird spot where i never got a full license (had a permit years ago) because i never needed it and was scared to actually learn. now i’m 30 and still don’t have one. does anyone have experience with a scooter as their only vehicle, and getting one with no license and no car? do i get driving lessons at a school, take the test, get the dl, and then get the scooter, and get lessons for that too? ultimately i’d like to get something above 49cc once i get a handle on the small guy. i understand i’ll need a motorcycle license for that? i’m in washington state.

also, what is it like to ride in the rain, and how’s traction? what kind of rain gear do you wear?

The practicality of two wheels as your only mode of transportation depends on where you live and what your commute looks like. When I moved from Detroit, Michigan to Basel, Switzerland, I was surprised at how many people just use scooters as their primary mode of transportation. It’s easier to get a license, you can park them anywhere, and most can do 100 KMpH which is fine for non-highway riding. I mean you can go on the highway with them but I’m not sure how fun it is... Rather than go with a Scooter, I bought a motorcycle instead. (I sort of wish I had brought my Yamaha FZ1 over here but oh well..) I went the first three years with only my BMW F800ST. Keep in mind that the public transport here is rock solid and relatively cheap. Super hot day? Screw it, I’ll take the tram. 100% rain in the forecast? I tram it.

As far rain riding, you don’t need anything too special. Most scooter riders have insulated skirts attached to the scooter. It shields your legs from rain and wind. You can then just use a normal “weather proof” riding jacket. For me the biggest issue is that the helmet visor will fog up. Make sure you get something with a Pinlock. It makes ALL the difference in rain and cold weather. Speaking of which, what is the climate like? You do not want to be riding around when the weather goes below freezing. I know there are riders out there that are fine with slipping and sliding around but I think they are crazy.

What’s it like where you live? Is it urban? Are you mostly riding around side streets at 35-55 MPH? Do you have a place to park it?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Scooter life is a care and clutter free life. Throw your shopping under the seat, rock up to cafés and tootle around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ABT: Always Be Tootling

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ABT: Always Be Tootling

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Now that I'm hearing it that doesn't sound like it's hanging too terribly much for an old Vespa. They are always slow to rev and slow to come back down. It sounds like it's returning to idle slowly rather than "hanging" per se. If I were you I might just put a few miles on it and see what the plug looks like.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Crayvex posted:

The practicality of two wheels as your only mode of transportation depends on where you live and what your commute looks like. When I moved from Detroit, Michigan to Basel, Switzerland, I was surprised at how many people just use scooters as their primary mode of transportation. It’s easier to get a license, you can park them anywhere, and most can do 100 KMpH which is fine for non-highway riding. I mean you can go on the highway with them but I’m not sure how fun it is... Rather than go with a Scooter, I bought a motorcycle instead. (I sort of wish I had brought my Yamaha FZ1 over here but oh well..) I went the first three years with only my BMW F800ST. Keep in mind that the public transport here is rock solid and relatively cheap. Super hot day? Screw it, I’ll take the tram. 100% rain in the forecast? I tram it.

As far rain riding, you don’t need anything too special. Most scooter riders have insulated skirts attached to the scooter. It shields your legs from rain and wind. You can then just use a normal “weather proof” riding jacket. For me the biggest issue is that the helmet visor will fog up. Make sure you get something with a Pinlock. It makes ALL the difference in rain and cold weather. Speaking of which, what is the climate like? You do not want to be riding around when the weather goes below freezing. I know there are riders out there that are fine with slipping and sliding around but I think they are crazy.

What’s it like where you live? Is it urban? Are you mostly riding around side streets at 35-55 MPH? Do you have a place to park it?

yeah, an urban environment that doesn’t get to freezing temps often, but there’s lots of samey rainy days in the winter. i’d use it to run errands on side streets, do some exploration, but eventually it would be great to take it on trips to the coast, if possible. the building has its own parking lot.

years ago, i spent an entire summer riding on the back of my friend’s scooter and that left a huge impression on me. it was incredible

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 8, 2021

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Now that I'm hearing it that doesn't sound like it's hanging too terribly much for an old Vespa. They are always slow to rev and slow to come back down. It sounds like it's returning to idle slowly rather than "hanging" per se. If I were you I might just put a few miles on it and see what the plug looks like.

Okay that is good to know! The only remaining issue then is that it is super hard to start when warmed up. I had to kick it for a few minutes before I could get it started again. My friend says that he normally push starts it when it does this. I tried starting with the gas cap open, but it made no difference. Choke on, choke off. WOT. It felt like it was dead until it finally caught and started. When cold it starts on the first kick with choke. Any ideas?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I used to ride in the snow all of the time. The snow melts faster where I live now, but I did a few times this winter.

The key is to not lean and keep your heels down a lot. Also never accelerate or brake in turns. I also used to wear a thick carhartt jacket and overalls which makes you invincible to the elements and provides good protection against the ground. But ya as long as you only accelerate and brake in a straight line, it's not too hard.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Crayvex posted:

Okay that is good to know! The only remaining issue then is that it is super hard to start when warmed up. I had to kick it for a few minutes before I could get it started again. My friend says that he normally push starts it when it does this. I tried starting with the gas cap open, but it made no difference. Choke on, choke off. WOT. It felt like it was dead until it finally caught and started. When cold it starts on the first kick with choke. Any ideas?

Ignition coil maybe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Crayvex posted:

Ignition or crank seals come to mind. If I were checking it out I'd be using a spark gap tester and seeing if it fails to jump an 8mm gap when hot.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I did it :toot: but it turns out that even though I don't have to title it, apparently I have to go to the DMV to pay sales tax. I don't mind paying, but I don't like going to the DMV :negative:

Anyway, thanks for the tips, thread. I have never ridden anything like this ever so it's very scary, but I think the Honda was the right call. I took a picture after I got it home:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's loving adorable and I love it and

Danknificent posted:

I have never ridden anything like this ever so it's very scary

this is like one of the best things about motorcycles right?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I'm hoping the fear goes away after I get used to it. It's ok though because I have a big helmet!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah all jokes aside the fear will go away and be replaced with occasional thrill. But also don't get complacent when the fear goes away!

Also great colors on that cute scoot.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Danknificent posted:

I did it :toot: but it turns out that even though I don't have to title it, apparently I have to go to the DMV to pay sales tax. I don't mind paying, but I don't like going to the DMV :negative:

Anyway, thanks for the tips, thread. I have never ridden anything like this ever so it's very scary, but I think the Honda was the right call. I took a picture after I got it home:

So cool. I would get one of those in a heartbeat if I lived somewhere I could use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Danknificent posted:

Hooray, congrats! I miss my old Met. Some dipshit rear ended my boyfriend at a stop sign years ago (he was fine, amazingly) and totaled it. We have a Vino 125 now and it’s great, but I am a tiny person and frankly it is just too big for me.