Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Scooter Cannonball goes a year from now. Looks pretty hardcore, I didn't understand what a fast pace they were running until recently. 8 days cross country, 350-460 miles per day with no rest days. And through the southwest in June. That's pretty serious on anything under 200cc. Although I notice that an awful lot of the entries are over 200cc. Only two vintage that I can see, which is kinda a letdown.

https://scootercannonball.com/riders

What’re you doing it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've been thinking about picking up a Ruckus for fun and mileage. I think everyone else in the world has probably had the same idea because I can't find any at dealers and the only ones I can find online have been modified or want basically close to new prices. While I ponder the purchase and browse ads I've been collecting info on the bike, it seems pretty solid as long as the oil has been changed on time (a questionable prospect for the early 20's crowd that typically owns these) if I do find a used one to look at are there any specific inspection points I should look for? Any input from this group is highly appreciated. FYI I do have a 636 I ride occasionally, but my commute is basically 15 minutes of residential streets right now, so it's not getting much play, considering selling it.

BTW OP, the TotalRuckus link in the OP seems to be dead, googling reveals totalruckus2020, so I'm not sure if they changed web addresses or it's a completely new site, I never saw the old one so I'm not sure. (edit: after poking around it seems it is an evolution, there are threads referencing "old posts surviving the merge"

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 6, 2022

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

dang. i looked at that in the past and i thought they had penalties for anything over 50cc and not a step through frame

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Off the top of my head, the crankshaft bearings tend to be prone to failure before most things, and it makes a very distinct sound, but there’s gotta be like at least 5k miles or so, which I probably wouldn’t buy anyways.

Make sure to ask about any dumb aftermarket poo poo that’s been done to it. If there’s a vehicle you can do dumb aftermarket poo poo to, it’s a ruckus lol.

The rear brake goes to poo poo real quick if you’re like me and skid all the time. I think it usually just needs cleaned out, but I’ve only done that to one out of three.

I have more but I’ll have to take some time later

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Oh also I have an engine that had the crankshaft bearing thing happen and probably has a bunch of miles. I bought it off a guy doing a gy6 swap. I’ve had it for awhile for spares but my last ruckus burst into flames so I don’t really need it around. If anyone wants parts or the engine it’s yours for shipping.

(It burst into flames from the cheap lithium battery I put in, nothing wrong with the scooter itself.)

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Sorry to triple post but yeah, people like to buy them for swaps or custom poo poo, so the resale value is good. Likewise, most sellers think of their ruckus as a unique snowflake.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 7, 2022

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think I've only seen a Ruck/Metro engine grenaded like once and it was from serious misuse. The engines last a long time. The fuel system and electrics in my experience are a bit error prone though. If you take care of it though it'll last.

builds character posted:

What’re you doing it on?
Don't have anything viable for it, sadly. And I would seriously think twice about that route at that time of the year.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
My metro is up over 700 miles with no issues! I got the oil changed at 500. They charged me a hundred bucks to do that and fiddle with one of the grips that was loose. My Honda dealer is delightfully awful, but it's hard to care. My daily driver is a 2018 RAV 4. What I'm spending on gas these days taking the Metro to work on nice days and the fact that the freaking thing cost 3k make the occasional overpriced oil change seem pretty trivial. I guess I'll get it changed again at 1000.

I love that Metro, and I appreciate the thread for recommending it.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Danknificent posted:

My metro is up over 700 miles with no issues! I got the oil changed at 500. They charged me a hundred bucks to do that and fiddle with one of the grips that was loose. My Honda dealer is delightfully awful, but it's hard to care. My daily driver is a 2018 RAV 4. What I'm spending on gas these days taking the Metro to work on nice days and the fact that the freaking thing cost 3k make the occasional overpriced oil change seem pretty trivial. I guess I'll get it changed again at 1000.

I love that Metro, and I appreciate the thread for recommending it.

You can probably change the oil yourself for like 10 bucks. It's very easy to do.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

I think I've only seen a Ruck/Metro engine grenaded like once and it was from serious misuse. The engines last a long time. The fuel system and electrics in my experience are a bit error prone though. If you take care of it though it'll last.

Yeah I suspect most broken GET engines are from overrevving for some time. You did remind me that I had to replace the fuel pump for one that had been sitting in the showroom really fast (along with rebuilding the carb :/)

E: should point out that overreving is only possible with an aftermarket cdi

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 8, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah literally everyone who owns a met or ruckus throws those cheapo Chinese CDI’s with no rev limiter in there and then wonders why their engines drop a valve a couple weeks later.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Do those CDIs even get you some noticeable power? It's hard to imagine those motors putting out any more than they do without major mechanical mods.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
From what I've been reading you throw a carb and exhaust on it, mess with the jetting for your power and then you start tweeking the CVT weights to get it in the power band more and you can go from a 40 mph top speed to maybe 50. Sounds easier to just buy a zuma 125 and call it a day, but I'm sure its more about the process than the end result.

Ultimately I just want a stock motor, I'm here for the MPGs and simple commuting. I want speed I got my street questionable ninja. There's a guy in norcal with a new white/blue ruck for 3k for sale. its 2800 new so after taxes and dealer BS that's probably a good deal. If it's still there in a couple weeks maybe I'll borrow a truck and go grab it.

Edit: here you go, everyone likes a craigslist post! https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/aptos-honda-ruckus/7498214414.html

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

A ruckus frame but a burgman 400 engine.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Do those CDIs even get you some noticeable power? It's hard to imagine those motors putting out any more than they do without major mechanical mods.
The rev limiter feels like it kicks in hard if you hit it on a straight or downhill. It also makes a difference if you swap out weights. But otherwise not really unless you do other work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would imagine not unless you do the other work like valves, cams, carbs, etc that are required to bump
the powerband up more

Coredump posted:

A ruckus frame but a burgman 650 engine.

Fixed

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
It’s very useful to have the extra top end if you put really light roller weights in, which I did for riding in the city, where I almost never need to go much above 30. I’m also pretty scrawny so it’s not rare that I hit the limiter.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 8, 2022

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Are the new Honda super cub or trails solid? Seems steep at $4k and are nigh-impossible to find new or used. I live in a hilly enough region that a ruckus wouldn’t cut it.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the new honda trail is fuel injected and you can flog the heck out of it endlessly and it will always crank. they’re great if you have a use for one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You have answered your own question

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I worked on a Burg 650 recently. That thing is a monstrosity. Almost as bad as an MP3 in design terms. It's like a Sportster 883 with a CVT and 500 more parts on it. Also the Suzuki repair manual was written like something out of Gilliam's Brazil.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whew I'm glad I dodged that bullet then as I was briefly considering an Executive Burg a month or two back

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everyone should own a big scooter once in their lives at least

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There's been a Silverwing at a local dealership for months now. I keep looking at it

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Everyone should own a big scooter once in their lives at least

does this include that 300cc vespa?

I saw one on the streets here and was like drat, wanna try that. but then someone here said they ride like poo poo and i guess i can see that.

its distinctly regular vespa sized. just bigger motor. some brakes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, anything 150cc and up probably counts.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ok this is the coolest facebook listing I've ever seen

this guy is like the polar opposite of an advrider poster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That dude rules

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
goals

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that man should be memorialized in the op of the dadbike thread

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just rented a clapped out scooter in hanoi. this rules. this is how traffic should be everywhere lol

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wanted to rent scooters in Hanoi but MY WIFE was scared of the traffic, which means we walked most everywhere and I have never been so goddamned hot in my life. Got back to the hotel room and it looked like we'd pissed our pants

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I wanted to rent scooters in Hanoi but MY WIFE was scared of the traffic, which means we walked most everywhere and I have never been so goddamned hot in my life. Got back to the hotel room and it looked like we'd pissed our pants

Lol I was at a wedding in key west during the summer that I had to take my linen pants off for at least one and blow dry them. hopefully it’ll just rain so I don’t embarrass myself too much

plus I did recently survive the TN summer so this feels fantastic rn lol

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Nitramster posted:

Sounds easier to just buy a zuma 125 and call it a day

I bought a Zuma 125 AMA

The sales guy got a call late September asking how many they wanted. 15 on their way to Texas. He took all 15.

They sell very well he says. They had 2 left

I bought a used one with 600 mi and first service already done.

I’m so far resisting the urge to buy all the “ADV” bumpers and racks and rails from Taiwan.

It’s a lot of fun!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

strangeless posted:

I’m so far resisting the urge to buy all the “ADV” bumpers and racks and rails from Taiwan.

Do not resist the urge to make your zuma more rad

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pics or ban tho.

Let's see it

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Heck yeah. Zuma 125s kick rear end. I’ve had my 2012 since 2013 and it’s still just about a perfect scooter.

Post pics

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

:buddy:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love the little running light above the rack. I love the rack that looks like a scaled down model of the seats in an ariel atom.

I love that scooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
cool of Yamaha to put an extra seat right up front there over the headlights so you can give ET a lift