Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

There is really only so much you can forage. If you are sieging fortified places - and in the setting you describe, most larger settlements would have at least some fortifications, if only to keep the cattle from wandering around at night - you need regular resupply. However, if you think Israel The Republic really isn't big enough to support a dedicated logistics network, you can always have the soldiers themselves as farmers. The Austrians settled their border with the Ottoman Empire with Wehrbauern, who had military training. So the soldiers sort of live off the land, but they don't forgae from the civilian population. It segues niecely with your settlement/annexation plot. After all, they cultivated this land and planted the wheat, not those savage not-Palestinians!

Of course the downside to soldiers who farm for themselves is that they quickly become useless peasants instead of professionals. I can remember a few examples throughout history, the Limitanei in the late Roman Empire I think, some of the Paraguayans in that Ebook someone posted about the War of the Triple Alliance, Spanish troops in colonial Dominican Republic. It's a common last resort for broke rear end states, if you can't pay your men, give them land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The theme system worked well enough for the byzantines for a few centuries. The soldiers were of decent quality with decent equipment; things just fell apart due to bad emperors making bad decisions and the constant onslaughts of all their neighbors. Also due to the nobility dismantling the system in order to weaken the military.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

Kemper Boyd posted:

And about poverty and such, it's worth remembering that not all serfs were poor. I've seen a few mentions of serfs being near equal in wealth to their lords.

I would enjoy reading more about this if you have any sources at hand.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Military History War Thread II: War. War Never Changes

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Comstar posted:

Military History War Thread II: War. War Never Changes

Beaten on the top of the last page or the one before it sadly.

I too think this thread should remain in Ask And Tell. I'd also like a General History thread for GBS if it ever returns to a more well moderated time in the future.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SeanBeansShako posted:

Beaten on the top of the last page or the one before it sadly.

I too think this thread should remain in Ask And Tell. I'd also like a General History thread for GBS if it ever returns to a more well moderated time in the future.

Yeah, same here. The old history thread just had the best random information in it (Fox tossing :allears:).

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012
Military History War Thread II: War! What is good for? Thread Number II. Say it again.

My apologies for my bad lurker post.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Military History Thread II: Ceasar crosses the Fulda Gap

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mans posted:

This and PYF Uniform made me laugh. :)

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Military History Thread II: hitler pls go

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It can't be too injokey though, then we risk losing people, which is the exact reason we're making a second thread to begin with.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Will we add more posters and their interests/potential topics of contribution or is the list going to be limited to ~massive OP carehavers~, or culled altogether?

Sorry for asking en plein publique but I'm not sure anyone is going to look at our document during the next couple of days.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I know a bit of Pre-Islamic and Early Arab military history, folklore and politics in the Arabian peninsula. A little bit of 16th century Peninsula military make up, and Early/Current Modern GCC military (really terrible with it).

Am i legible to be added to the list?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koesj posted:

Will we add more posters and their interests/potential topics of contribution or is the list going to be limited to ~massive OP carehavers~, or culled altogether?

Sorry for asking en plein publique but I'm not sure anyone is going to look at our document during the next couple of days.
Frankly, I think identifying certain people in the OP is the wrong idea, in that it'll set up a hierarchy between people who dispense knowledge and people who receive knowledge, whereas what we should be doing is fostering equal discussion.

We can identify people who know a lot and effortpost just as well if they post about it themselves in the thread like everyone else.

Edit: Although, if the final draft of the OP will mention how Rodrigo Diaz is wrong about literally everything, I'd like to keep that part.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 12, 2013

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Frankly, I think identifying certain people in the OP is the wrong idea, in that it'll set up a hierarchy between people who dispense knowledge and people who receive knowledge, whereas what we should be doing is fostering equal discussion.

We can identify people who know a lot and effortpost just as well if they post about it themselves in the thread like everyone else.

Edit: Although, if the final draft of the OP will mention how Rodrigo Diaz is wrong about literally everything, I'd like to keep that part.

As a person who has followed this thread since its inception but has basically never commented due to having not much beyond a layman's/Wikipedia/paradox games understanding of history, I don't even think that such a list is necessary. The thread can grow organically out of whatever it is you fine folks seed it with, after all, so many years ago Admiral Snackbar started this thread and it became something great despite their disappearance a year or two in. Hell back then I'm not even sure the forums had fully realized the concept of an effortpost yet.

In any event, carry on everyone. I just figured as a seldom poster it was time to finally contribute something vaguely useful to this fine thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I need to start reading history books again. Any recs on the Great Northern War or Austrian Succession? I like napoleonic and revolutionary poo poo but should probably branch out a little.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I need to start reading history books again. Any recs on the Great Northern War or Austrian Succession? I like napoleonic and revolutionary poo poo but should probably branch out a little.

I sort of recently read that pulitzer prize winning biography of Peter the Great that goes into the Northern war in pretty good detail.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

rzeszowianin 44 posted:

I would enjoy reading more about this if you have any sources at hand.

The only book I got right now at hand is Tuchman's A Distant Mirror which is in general a good read.

Off the top of my head, the most fundamental thing is that when we're talking about feudal European society, we should keep in mind that there was a whole lot of different forms of feudalism around. In broad terms, you can divide it into three major groups by geography: Western European, Southern European and Eastern European. Southern European was in the middle ages the most stable and probably the most oppressive one around, where social mobility was always limited more than in Western European. Eastern european feudalism was the major outlier since feudalism in the east actually got more oppressive as later on.

Western Europe was to some degree moderated by Germanic/Scandinavian influences (most of Scandinavia never had serfdom) and the relation between a feudal lord and his serfs was more or less a contract, where the lord promises to do some stuff in exchange for service. In some cases this was more or less a sham but in many cases it was a genuine mutually profitable relationship, where the lords didn't tax the serfs for all they had. It's also wrong to think of "feudal lord" in the term of some dude living in a castle and riding around on a horse all day. You had that but you also had guys who were almost totally broke and barely able to pay for the arms and the horse they had to provide their own lord. If a serf was prosperous (good land or whatnot), he didn't have to spend money on warhorses and arms but could spend whatever he didn't need himself to hire laborers or generally improve his living standard.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Poltava by Peter Englund is a great book and I'm pretty sure there's an english translation out there. It goes into how the Swedes ended up fighting the war and how the battle at Poltava went down.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Poltava by Peter Englund is a great book and I'm pretty sure there's an english translation out there. It goes into how the Swedes ended up fighting the war and how the battle at Poltava went down.

Yep:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battle-that-Shook-Europe/dp/1780764766/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384268270&sr=8-2&keywords=peter+englund

The English title is silly and inaccurate (the book focuses almost exclusively on the Swedish side) but I guess the publisher figured that "Poltava" wouldn't ring any bells outside of the countries involved.

Alekanderu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 12, 2013

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Military History II: Gay Black Hitler Boogaloo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is Gay Black Hitler a reference to an actual discussion that has happened?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Is Gay Black Hitler a reference to an actual discussion that has happened?

People were asking stupid "what if" questions, so they were mocked by asking "What if Hitler was gay and black?"

And then we actually discussed it, I think the consensus was that he would be interesting enough to be accepted into art school in that case.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

People were asking stupid "what if" questions, so they were mocked by asking "What if Hitler was gay and black?"

And then we actually discussed it, I think the consensus was that he would be interesting enough to be accepted into art school in that case.
Dude, Gay Black Hitler was a German hero, after he was elected he led his country into an era of peace and tolerance for all. :911:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For the Austrian Succession, Michael Hochedlinger, "Austria's Wars of Emergence."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 12, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I think it was a screencap of a fat black woman in a nazi uniform cheerfully declaring that she was playing Hitler like he was meant to be played: as a black lesbian woman.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

I think it was a screencap of a fat black woman in a nazi uniform cheerfully declaring that she was playing Hitler like he was meant to be played: as a black lesbian woman.

And by the way what was the source for that gif? I must see it.

And HEGEL/Koesj/whoever's doing the op, you think you could include that index of history threads I posted the other day? People might find it useful.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey folks! I've put together links for every history thread I can remember or google. I think there are a couple in either D&D or GBS relating to race relations and organized labor--and there was a rather good TFR thread about North Korea, but I can't figure out any keywords to bring 'em up.

History threads:
(Arranged in no particular order)

GBS 2011 History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382510

American History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577206

History Book Recommendation Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458502

Nazi Germany - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541449 - Thanks, Ghost of Mussolini!

Military History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799

Medieval History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788

Ancient History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Mesoamerican History Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3497724

PYF Obsolete Military Equipment - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573617

Early Islam History Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3496637 (Requires archives)

D&D general historical questions thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503216

Cold War TFR Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

And HEGEL/Koesj/whoever's doing the op, you think you could include that index of history threads I posted the other day? People might find it useful.

We already had a list, but some of the ones you listed weren't in it so im putting em in. Thanks.

Also:

Jeoh posted:

Military History II - War. War never changes.

i am not going to include a loving fallout quote

Want to keep the in-jokes down, but would like it to be at least a little funny. Maybe Military History 2 1/2: The Smell of Heer

Maybe Military History 2: Die Harder

Mark 2 of this thread is going to be in this forum, you can stop voting.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Military History II: War. War always changes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Military History Thread 2: Here Be Dragoons

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Nenonen posted:

I like it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Military History 2: We Are the Very Models of Modern Major-Generals

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why should it be called MHT Vol. 2, when this isn't Vol. 1 (Probably not even Vol. 2)? If you are making it to attract new people, perhaps you shouldn't be emphasizing that it's a continuation of an established megathread.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Why should it be called MHT Vol. 2, when this isn't Vol. 1 (Probably not even Vol. 2)? If you are making it to attract new people, perhaps you shouldn't be emphasizing that it's a continuation of an established megathread.

We are doing just that in the post itself though, to stop people from talking about certain... sensitive subjects.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Mans posted:

I'm real partial to this one.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Nenonen posted:

This one is great.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nenonen posted:

Triple puns are such a rarity.

coolatronic
Nov 28, 2007

It's this movie trailer parody put together by Jimmy Kimmel Live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NwB9PLxss

But for my money, 30 Rock's black Hitler comedy is much better.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
edit- I can't find the new thread, so I guess I'll post here?

NarcoPolo posted:

I also advocate keeping this thread in A/T.

I have a question, this is more for Rodrigo Diaz but if anyone knows feel free. About the People's Crusade, were they real? I mean as in did they exist as the popular imagination goes. The whole "peasants so taken by Peter the Hermit preaching lets all go to the Holy Land etc."

The way I understood peasants (are they the same as serfs?) was that they were tied to the land their lord owned. So how would they just pull up stakes and follow some charismatic preacher like described? In addition what about food and other sundries for the journey? I thought peasants were, well poor so did they just "forage" like knights the whole way to Constantinople?

The people following Peter the Hermit weren't entirely unwashed masses and I think the research indicates that there was probably more elite involvement that previously thought. For what it's worth, though, while some just hosed off to go a-crusading, IIRC usually there was an official sanction to allow peasantry to take the cross. I'm not sure if lords necessarily got anything from the Church for letting their people go, or if letting their guys massacre the local Jews and invade Muslim territories was just a civic obligation.

Foraging did happen, but there was also a lot of logistical work going into the Crusades. Food and money would often be donated by people in Europe and was typically supplied by sea, usually by Italian shipping. Bitching about the Italians not coming through with the supplies pops up more than once.

Also, there was another post previously about the Soviets moving their industry east after Barbarossa kicked off. It's several pages back and now I can't find it, and I honestly don't remember what the exact question was, so I'll just shotgun some information about it out and hopefully everybody's cool with that.

First, it should be noted they weren't starting entirely from scratch. The first and second 5 Year Plans did include some elements of building industry farther east, and there was some movement of industry east in 1940, though it was still largely empty by that point. Upon being invaded in 1941, the Soviets set up what was called the State Defence Committee (GKO) with Stalin at the head of it. A couple of days later this organisation approved the creation of what was called the "Council of Evacuation under the Council of People's Commisars". This seemed to have been given a huge amount of autonomy, they had to send progress reports back to Moscow, but they were, more or less, empowered to do whatever was necessary. They also established local Councils for Evacuation so that people on-site would be able to get things moving without having to go to the centre Council.

Actually moving all that stuff typically happened by rail and they set up massive bases at large railway stations, and there was a special organisation within the Commisariat for Railways whose job was solely to prepare and plan evacuating equipment and workers. Usually enough equipment would be moved to start a sort of shadow factory along with some leading workers. They would then send new people and equipment, who would then get trained by the lead workers in order to start production. A lot of the new workers were women who didn't usually have a lot of industrial experience, but by '42 something like 1,000-1,500 factories were operational.

They did leave some factories behind, in order to keep producing while the evacuation was ongoing and a lot of those were over-run by the Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

my dad posted:

Triple puns are such a rarity.

Heer be Dragoons?

• Locked thread