Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey guys, quoting this from several months ago. It deserves to be seen again and I'm seeing a lot of nicks here I don't remember.

edit: disregard, the video got a DMCA. I'll try to find a working link tomorrow.

edit 2: some are up, and some are down. Will flesh out tomorrow if zee germans don't get me.
This guys youtube channel still has em all http://www.youtube.com/user/damoosebelly#p/c/38D425ED281CAC35/1/bXv8x_dnhy8

Plus a shitload more good stuff.

e: actually on double check some are gone. still a good collection though

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

lilljonas posted:

If you have ever crawled in mud with an automatic rifle, you know how easily it jams. Vietnam had lots of mud. I can completely understand why some troops would discard a famously jammy rifle for a rifle that has a reputation for being the most reliable automatic rifle ever.
What happens when they jam in that situation, is the only option to take it completly to bits and clean everything? How long does that take?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
If you are in the UK chaps (or some have cunning way to overcome the nationality check) do check out this documentry currently being broadcast. This weeks one was Rome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wnmb1/Ancient_Worlds_The_Republic_of_Virtue/

quote:

How did an insignificant cluster of Latin hill villages on the edge of the civilised world become the greatest empire the world has known? In the fifth programme of the series, archaeologist and historian Richard Miles examines the phenomenon of the Roman Republic, from its fratricidal mythical beginnings, with the legend of Romulus and Remus, to the all too real violence of its end, dragged to destruction by war lords like Pompey the Great and Julius Caesar.

Travelling to Sicily and North Africa, Richard tells the story of Rome's century-long struggle for dominance with the other great regional power, Carthage. It was a struggle that would end with the total destruction of this formidable enemy and the transformation of landlubber Rome into a seapower, and the Republic into an Empire. But with no-one left to beat, the only enemy that Rome had left was itself.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Volmarias posted:

I just finished reading all of this thread.

All of it.

Jesus christ for a topic about "Military History" you all loving sperge about WWII. You've got thousands of years and hundreds of places and you all talk about WWII in europe.

Tell me about famous African battles or wars, preferably ones that don't involve colonial powers. Surely there must be interesting history that doesn't involve europe, europeans, or european wars.
Dude it was the biggest rumble ever with practically every nation/empire involved plus the use of nukes. Its pretty drat interesting! Plus it finished off the British Empire, the 2nd reich if you like, and left the world with the USA and the Soviet Union running things.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Dude, Third Reich. Holy German-Roman Empire, Imperial Germany, Nazi Germany.
Huh, I did not know that. I have always thought that old adolf was referring to the Roman Empire, British Empire and his ... situation. (I looked it up to check you were right :) )

Learn something new every day, thanks!

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Nenonen posted:

The battle for Berlin. Had the SS not betrayed Hitler, the whole outcome of the war would have been reversed!
Really? Do tell more if it wasnt a joke.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Nenonen posted:

Basically this. Turn closed captions on.
Intense scene, the guy playing adolf is pretty good.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Even then, the Soviet vehicles were designed to operate on a nuked battlefield whereas their NATO counterparts were not. While the possible effectiveness of such operations is obviously open to a lot of question, they at least planned for them...
What were some of these vehicles?

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Ensign Expendable posted:

Like I said, every tank and APC after the T-72 had this capability. I don't know if all the units were fitted with this sort of thing, but it was available.
Ah right, sorry must have missed your earlier post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-72#Nuclear.2C_biological.2C_and_chemical_protection

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey guys, been missing for a few weeks and the General History discussion thread in GBS appears to be archived so I hope you all don't mind if I drop off the entire set of magazines I finished scanning in my abscence and all uploaded online now.

Plus, a bonus set of images of the British Military Musuem where I did some summer temp work.

For those who didn't read that thread in GBS, the following links are BBC Educational Magazines from the seventies that charts the rise, development and fall of the British Empire. From famous peoples and battles to the development of the colonies and relations of the people that dwelled in them. Each one is only thirty pages long but packed full of interested detailed information and images. Sadly I have around eighty of the hundred magazines of the series but it covers a majority of the stuff if you are interested in that sort of thing.

And feel free to drop any of this in the Goon Drop Box for future safe keeping, in case this thread doesn't get Gold Mined.

Duke Of Cornwalls Light Infantry Musuem Scans (GUNZ AND UNIFORMZ)

Issue 1 Victorias Reign High Noon Of Empire
Issue 2 Earths Only Paradise
Issue 3 Showdown With The Spanish Armada
Issue 4 Black Ivory Britains Infamous Slave Trade
Issue 5 Dawn of Empire
Issue 6 The Wealth Of The Indies
Issue 7 The Conquest of Canada
Issue 8 The Assault On India
Issue 9 Americas Road To Revolution
Issue 10 The World Turned Upside Down
Issue 11 The World Revealed
Issue 12 The Coming of The Raj
Issue 13 Early Days Down Under
Issue 14 Nelson At Trafalgar
Issue 15 Planters and Pirates
Issue 16 Revolt Against Slavery
Issue 17 The Struggle For The Cape
Issue 18 The Clash Of Cultures
Issue 19 Indias North West Frontier
Issue 20 Into The Dark Continent
Issue 21 The Indian Mutiny
Issue 22 The Opium War
Issue 23 Buccaneers Of The East
Issue 24 Specks Upon The Sea
Issue 25 Maori Challenge
Issue 26 Livingstone and Stanley
Issue 27 Light Into The Darkness Missionaries and The Empire
Issue 28 The Business Of Empire
Issue 29 Buckets of Diamonds
Issue 30 War on The Veld The Zulu War
Issue 31 Canada Makes Good
Issue 32 A Remote Elite Anglo Indians At Work and Play
Issue 33 The Mystique of Empire
Issue 34 Enlarging The Jewel Conquest of Burma and Ceylon
Issue 35 Guardians Of Empire The Far Flung Imperial Army
Issue 36 Brittania Rules The Waves
Issue 37 Empire of Iron and Steel
Issue 38 On Tour Around The Empire
Issue 39 The Men Who Found The Source Of The Nile
Issue 40 Take Over In East Africa
Issue 41 White Mans Grave
Issue 42 From Suez To Khartoum
Issue 43 Australia Strikes It Rich
Issue 44 Opening The Outback
Issue 45 Industrial Explosion
Issue 46 China Humiliated
Issue 47 Abyssinian Adventur
Issue 48 The Mounties Tame Canadas Wild West
Issue 49 The New Rome London as the Imperial Capital
Issue 50 The Great Game
Issue 51 Rivals For The Heart Land
Issue 52 The Imperial Machine
Issue 53 Eyewitnesses To Empire The Men Who Recorded Imperial Events
Issue 54 Kings In All But Name
Issue 55 Rule Brittania Hope and Glory for Armchair Imperialists
Issue 56 The Boer War
Issue 57 The Boer War Eyewtinesses to Conflict
Issue 58 Ireland The Tortured Colony
Issue 59 A Most Superior Person Curzon, Viceroy Extraordinary
Issue 60 A Parade Of Princes
Issue 61 The Mask Of Savagery The Art Of The Empires Subject Peoples
Issue 62 Antarctic Epic
Issue 63 Women In A Mans Empire
Issue 64 The War Overseas
Issue 65 Birthpangs of Commonwealth
Issue 66 The Road To Suez
Issue 67 The Army At Ease
Issue 68 South Africas Jan Christiaan Smuts
Issue 69 Lawrence And His Legacy
Issue 70 The Second World War 1943-43 The Empire In Peril
Issue 71 The Road To Victory
Issue 72 The Empire On Film
Issue 73 Palestine Britains Crown Of Thorns
Issue 74 The Rise and Fall of Britains Arab Oil Empire
Issue 75 The Lost Jewel Britain loses India, 14 million lose their homes
Issue 76 Britains Pacific Islands
Issue 77 India And Pakistan
Issue 78 Because Its There
Issue 79 The Wind Of Change Hits Africa
Issue 80 Uhuru For Kenya
Issue 81 Britain and her Imperial Rivals
Issue 82 Divided Ireland
Issue 83 King Sugars Bitter Bequest
Issue 84 How Others Saw Us
Issue 85 Cyprus Island Of Sorrows
Issue 86 The Presence That Changed The World
Issue 87 The Loose Ends of Empire
Issue 88 Retreat In The Far East
Thanks for that :)

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

mllaneza posted:

SBS doesn't have PMs, so... hey buddy, these are awesome, but how about one big archive of all of them ? Now that you're done and all...
I dont have an uploady place but if you PM your email address i'll send em.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Throatwarbler posted:

I think all this hand wringing over Vietnam is exaggerating a little to the other end of the spectrum. The US *did* win in Vietnam in conventional engagements,and most of their engagements were conventional engagements against a conventional enemy. The North Vietnamese and Giap were probably much more capable than the Americans expected, but the Americans were still the side with the B52s and the NVA may as well have been the best conventional army in SE Asia in the same way the Iraqis were the best conventional army in the Arab world.

I *do* think the US lost Vietnam for political reasons, the simple political reason was that they didn't dare launch a land invasion of North Vietnam for fear of a large Chinese intervention a la Korea, together with whatever the USSR had up its sleeve. The mistake was that they thought that with enough bombing from the air and defeats on the ground in the South, they could force the North to eventually give up. They couldn't. The North Vietnamese replaced everything they lost the next day from Soviet/Warsaw pact assistance, and just kept plugging away.

If Nixon had the cahones to just throw up his arms and invade North Vietnam, it would have been all done. The Chinese at the time were in the throes of the Cultural Revolution and virtual civil war, and may have stayed out, and in any case the Chinese army of the late 1960/70s were much less formidable than the one of 1950s and would have been no match for the US. Not to mention that the Chinese at Soviets at this time were getting pretty suspicious of each other and were building up along their own borders.
But that would inevitably gone nuclear right? Bad for everyone.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

AbdominalSnowman posted:

(i.e. for some reason most Brits just love saying that everyone but the SAS sucks rear end, and the Spetsnaz have so much ridiculous mythology surrounding them that it is impossible to determine what is reality)
Isn't this more about creating the necessary brainwashing to believe you are the best that these nutters need to do the very dangerous things they are asked to do?

Ex USA governor and wrestler Jesse 'The Body' Ventura (guy with the minigun in Predator) was a US navy SEAL and the fucker still wont shut up about it.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 26, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The idea of conscription being a tool for social justice never occurred to this American. Over here our left wing is deeply and almost universally opposed to anything resembling conscription (the draft, as we call it in the states).
I think as well conscripts in the Sweden are used as labour for social projects when not at war, would that be right Mr. Sunshine?

That would be cool with me, thats national service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Mr. Sunshine posted:

We spent a week patrolling evacuated areas (to protect against looters), going out in boats to check that the dams around electrical stations held, controlling traffic and so on.
(clarification on below, not talking about war, talking about national service)

I'm assuming you are finished you're service now but; in retrospect do you think it did you wrong or right?

Do you think it made you a better person? Are you proud of the poo poo you did? Did you get experience helpful for job apps?

If the answer to all those is no then I withdraw any arg on the subject.

Personally as I stand now id vote it in straight away in my country (UK), not for war but for public service.

• Locked thread