Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
As a (novice) fan of military history, this is one of the best threads I've seen in Ask/Tell. I think I've even read a few of the same books you have, if your lines about the battles of Trasimene and Cannae are any indication.

My interest in history is very broad, so I apologize if the following topics are kind of all over the place.

My first question is, just how successful were the Mongols in Europe? I know next to nothing about the matter, but I always thought that Europe doesn't get enough credit for what it was in the Middle Ages, and I have doubts that the Mongols were able to steamroll them as easily as is often claimed.

I'm not sure how to phrase this next one without being too vague, so I'll just ask if you can recommend any books on the matter. I'm really interested in the Dark Ages of Europe, especially English, Byzantine, and Scandinavian military organization and tactics. If you can suggest any books on any of those, I would be much obliged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

How effective were muskets in the earliest stages of their existance? I ask because I was reading a tabletop gaming forum and there were discussions on how to balance early firearms against bows and crossbows. There's a fellow who drops into each and every thread on the matter and loudly berates people who say that bows were in anyway comparable to even the most primitive guns, with lines like,

"This is only said by toxophiles who can't bare the fact that gunpowder weapons outclass any kind of bow in every aspect except rate of fire. It was for more than political reasons that virtually all the major powers of Europe bankrupted themselves to adopt the new technology."

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Herv posted:

Please, stop talking about the largest military action in history... in the military history thread! :downs:

EDIT: This was a little harsher than I intended. The point stands, though; there are about 5,994 years of human civilization that weren't occupied by WW2 and there's no need to get snotty because people want to talk about them.

Jabarto fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2011

• Locked thread