Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Could you give a brief (or maybe not so brief) overview of how infantry doctrines changed between the creation of rapid-firing firearms, through WWI and up to the end of WWII? Maybe tanks too, in case my existing knowledge has gaping holes I'm not aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Admiral Snackbar posted:

I know this post is long and drawn out, so I'll leave it here for now and continue with the development of Kommando units and tanks at another time. Sorry if this one was a bit tedious.

Aw, but you were just getting to the good part :(

Great thread so far!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for quoting the links, I couldn't find them. How long is the whole thing?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Kingsbury posted:

how effective were tanks in WW1?

They would have been a lot better if they didn't end up being so poorly ventilated that it was impossible to breathe inside after a while. Also the non-British tanks had problems with tipping over. The Renault FT-17 was a pretty good model, but it came along very late in the war.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wasn't Operation Barbarossa delayed a couple months to make room for the Yugoslavian campaign? If that is true then wouldn't the Germans have had an extra 2 months of campaigning time before the winter?

It was delayed due to the campaign and also because manufacturing was slower than expected, I think.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Also remember that Russian partisans always tend to put up a fairly effective resistance, or at least harass the enemy convoys enough to slow them down significantly. During WWII, the USSR even airdropped instruction books in order how to fight lightly armoured forces without specialized (or often any) weapons.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Alpha was better during Soviet times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Storm-333

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

Holding a grudge against Sherman seems kinda odd. The ACW happened 150 years ago, one would imagine that people in the South would get over it. It's not like he burned my house or your house.

We had a much more bloody civil war (one of the bloodiest in Europe ever) in Finland a hundred years back and no one cares anymore, since the historical split between sharecroppers/industrial workers and landowners no longer exists.

If someone wants a short presentation of the Finnish Civil War, I can give one.

Go ahead. I didn't even know there was a Finnish Civil War.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Zionist_en_fuego posted:

Really happy to see a thread like this pop up! I've been away from SA for about 3 years and I'm happy to have caught this thread at a glance...

If anyone has any questions about Israeli military history, and the OP doesn't mind, I'd love to contribute. I'm not as formally trained as the OP or Bewbies, but I work as a defense and security journalist and I've sat down multiple times with Martin Van Creveld to pick his brain.

Some topics for thought:

* How Israel's early strategic doctrine was modeled almost 1:1 on the Nazi's

* The massive tank battles of '67 (not so interesting) and '73 (very interesting)

* How the IDF manages a high-tech, mobile, western army with conscripts

I have faith that we can do this all without getting bogged down in boring, messy politics.

Tank battles, please.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

:colbert:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Graviton v2 posted:

What happens when they jam in that situation, is the only option to take it completly to bits and clean everything? How long does that take?

There's a button on the side called the Forward Assist, you can hit it to force the bolt to move forward all the way and guarantee you at least one more shot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Then answer my earlier question regarding the logistical planning for Napoleon's campaign in Russia, damnit! How did the armies ensure that they wouldn't run out of gunpowder just prior to the decisive battle on long campaigns like that? Or could Nappy expect to receive supplies to Moscow if need be? Or did they just go in and hope for the best, like Napoleon did in Egypt?
P.S.

He did have supply lines, but those were intercepted by partisans and Kutuzov's army while Napoleon was sitting in Moscow. I don't know what the gunpowder situation was like at that point, but they were certainly running out of food.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pyle posted:

The Russian ground forces had stuff like T-55s, T-72s and BMPs. To Russians those are Main Battle Tanks and Armored Personnel Carriers. To everyone else, at least in the west, that equipment is only scrap metal.

There are still T-55s and T-72s in service? :psyduck: I thought the oldest stuff the Russians fielded were T-80s.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Panzer IIs could barely pierce T-34s with their lovely autocannons. They were pretty much relegated to anti partisan duties or converted into tank destroyers, engineering tanks or munitions carriers. Even Panzer IVs were ineffective against KVs until they got the long 7.5cm guns. The tactics when dealing with a KV involved shooting at the barrel of the gun, hoping to take it out, or taking out the tracks and waiting for 8.8cm gun support.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Acknot posted:

Grand Prize Winner,

Any reasonable non-nuclear cold war invasion of europe would involve a massive Soviet armoured thrust through the Fulda gap (look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulda_gap) AND would involve absolutely massive military power.

It's so not true that the Warsaw Pact's military was mostly made of rust in the 80's - on the contrary they were at their peak. It's pretty chilling that contamporary wargames would usually end with crushing Soviet victory, or alternatively the US nuking an advancing Soviet army on German soil. That of course because nuking Soviet soil would initiate the whole mutally assured destruction easter egg feature.

I remember this leading to all kinds of controversy including my country wanting to withdraw from NATO over their willingness to use our soil and military as radiation sponges.

On a more serious note, the Soviet army unit was in many ways superior to the Nato ones. Front line units had nightvision equipment and two SVD-equipped snipers per team, zerg rush amounts of T80 and T72 MBTs (4-1 ratio to NATO armour) and first class ground support and air suprtiority fighters.

Every vehicle since the T-72 was equipped to automatically seal itself and continue fighting in irradiated conditions, so nuking them wouldn't stop the forces not destroyed by the shockwave.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Like I said, every tank and APC after the T-72 had this capability. I don't know if all the units were fitted with this sort of thing, but it was available.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Admiral Snackbar posted:

One of the things that doesn't get much attention is the fact that the Russian tanks being used by the Arab countries didn't have any kind of air conditioning. Just imagine being stuck in a large oven in the midst of battle and trying to fight effectively. I wouldn't necessarily say this was a design flaw, since, as you say, they were export versions and should have been appropriately equipped by the end users.

drat, I knew export tanks were stripped down, but I didn't know they were that stripped down.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

The French used Panthers for a while after the war, and a bunch of German equipment was sold off to the Middle East, off the top of my head. The Syrians used PzIV's. Of course, Finland too kept PzIV's in use after the war.

Israel, too! The Israeli army used German helmets and Kar98ks for a period of time, until they got their own industry going.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The BBC "World at War" series has some very good episodes concerning the Eastern Front. Aside from that, most of the material I've read and seen was in Russian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Almost certainly shrapnel. A full powered rifle round should be able to pierce any amount of metal that it's reasonably practical to carry all over yourself for a few hours at a time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Cracked is really bad at history in general. Take their historical articles with a giant grain of salt.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Do you think they would have played an important role? For pre-gunpowder and pre-combustion engine armies, manpower was the decisive element. This had a lot to do with nutrition of the people as a whole, but also the logistics of the armies. A starved army of strongmen would be of no match to a well fed army of weaklings. The importance of size probably hasn't played that important role other than perhaps morally, and maybe in how big a target a man has been to archers. Later there have been occasional technical limitations, like how big a man you can fit within the confines of a tank or a fighter plane.

I don't think any nation ever has had a problem with getting tank crewmen or pilots because everyone is too tall.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No reason to develop your own interface when you can walk into a store and grab them for fifty bucks a pop. I am actually pleasantly surprised they didn't sink a ton of money into some terrible proprietary controller design.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

Actually the Soviet Union specifically used as short as possible crewmen (5'6 or shorter) for their tanks. The more cramped you can make a tank, the smaller and lower to the ground it is, and therefore the harder to hit. So it could in theory become a problem.

Soviet tanks were notoriously cramped compared to their Western counterparts. I haven't read anything that mentioned that they were having trouble coming up with sufficiently short crewmen. The only limiting factor I've ever read about was not being able to train enough of them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Cruiser/Infantry tank doctrine wasn't unique. Soviets had an identical system with their BT (Blizhniy Tank = fast tank) and T-26 doctrine in the 1930's. Russians learned that it didn't work very well the hard way - lucky for them they had the T-34 available.

Cromwell wasn't actually a half bad tank compared to Sherman, so the program wasn't a dismal failure.

Bystriy Tank. Blizhniy means "close".

Also the BT series were pretty neat from a technical perspective. The Christie suspension allowed them to travel on roads without using up their track lifespan, so they weren't constrained by railroads having to deliver them over any significant distance. Also, as the name suggests, they were pretty fast, so instead of waiting for engineers to lay a bridge across a river, they could just find a bump and ramp over it. It's pretty impressive when you see a tank soar through the air like that.

The Soviets' infantry/tank relationship is also pretty different. Since the USSR never made any APCs before WWII, infantry would ride into battle on top of the tanks. During the Winter War, T-28s were also used to lay a path through the snow for the soldiers, and even tow armoured sleds behind them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

No idea about Russian, though. Never learned more than 10 words, so I only know basic typology stuff.

:linguistsay:

I'm not a linguist, but the simplification that the Soviets implemented removed a few letters. The only one that I've ever seen in pre-revolution texts was the ѣ, which was pretty much identical to the letter е, but there were complicated rules on when you would write one or the other. Also, the hard sign was dropped from the end of words. The pronunciation of words didn't change, they just became easier to write.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jiriam posted:

My father was a regular army and then national guard officer in the sixties and seventies, and when he died I inherited boxes and boxes of guerilla warfare manuals and books of tactical problems that talk about 'the enemy' -but you can tell it's the soviets- in really dehumanizing terms. It's weird, and frightening to me.

That's interesting. My great-grandfather had a Soviet WWII guerilla warfare manual, which didn't dehumanize the enemy at all. Most of it was on weapons maintenance, hand to hand combat, how to take out a tank with no anti-tank weapons and how to survive in the Russian wilderness. There were parts on interrogation, but all they consisted of were phrases you may want to ask, such as where the base is located, how many tanks they have, etc. It was all about how to defeat the enemy, not convincing the reader that the enemy needs to be defeated.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
This page has several chapters from the Partisan's Companion, a book that was written to help Soviet citizens organize resistance against German forces. The chapters are as follows:

Rank Insignia of the German Army
Learn the Weapons of Your Enemy (brief maintenance instructions for common and uncommon weapons)
Destroy Enemy Tanks! (how to fight a tank with no anti tank weapons)
How Fascists Combat Partisans
Rules of Interrogation
How to Fight an Airborne Enemy
Life in the Snow
Hand to Hand Combat
Camouflage
Combat Arms (same thing as Learn the Weapons of Your Enemy, but for Soviet weapons)
Travel and Campground
Scouting

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I translated the most interesting chapter (the anti-tank one) in the TFR milsurp thread a while ago, if you go through my posts in there you might be able to find it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I found the translation I posted.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Here you go. The original is preserved as much as possible.

IX.Destroy tanks of the enemy!
During battle with a tank, remember:

A brave man has nothing to fear from tanks. The more bravery you meet an enemy machine with, the easier it is to destroy it. Seek out Fascist tanks and destroy them.
A tank's engine is its source of movement. Destroy the engine and the tank will stop.
The engine works on gasoline. Stop its delivery and the tank will stand still.
If the tank still has gasoline left, try to ignite it and the tank will burn.
The tank's turret spins, while the main gun moves vertically. Try to jam the turret to deny the enemy the ability to aim.
The tank's engine is cooled by taking in air from vents. All moving connections and hatches also have holes. If you pour in flammable fluid, the tank will burn.
In order to look around, there are viewing ports and instruments behind hatches. Cover the ports with mud and shoot at the hatches with any weapons to try to jam them.
In order to traverse rough terrain, the tank has tracks. Try to take out the tracks or the leading wheel.

The weaknesses of tanks

The crew cannot hear due to how loud the tank is.
The crew can see poorly due to the difficulty of using viewing instruments while moving.
It is difficult to fire from a moving tank due to the amount of shaking. Effective fire can only be performed from a distance of 400 meters. In order to fire accurately, the tank will have to stop briefly.

Weak points of Fascist tanks

The tracks and leading wheels
Viewing ports
Bottom and roof
Engine compartment
Attack these sections. Carefully study figure 141 and remember where you have to shoot or throw grenades and flammable fluids to disable the tank.

http://9may.ru/images/galery/5543.JPG
[The boxes pointing to the turret say “sniper fire”. The one pointing to the engine compartment says “flammable fluid”. All the others say “bundle of grenades”]

Be ready to meet the tank

The sooner you notice it, the easier it will be to destroy.
During the day, use your eyes more than your ears. During the night, the sound of a tank's motor can be heard up to 900 meters, 450 if the wind is towards the tank, 1500 is the wind is towards you.
The sound of a moving tank travels even further.
A tank has appeared. Do not fret and run around from place to place. Conceal yourself using the environment. Hide in a ditch, hole, trench, pit or even a hill or bush.
Be ready to meet the tank and destroy it using any available equipment.
Learn where the Fascist tanks are located. Approach them unnoticed and destroy them.

Bullets and tanks

Using a 7.62mm rifle or regular machine gun, you can destroy tankettes, light tanks and armoured cars of the enemy. Open fire from 100-300 meters. Fire at the view ports of the tank. Accurate file can spray the crew with molten lead.
Especially accurate shooters (snipers) shoot at the viewing instruments and weapons of the tank.
Using large caliber machine guns, open fire at the gas tanks and sides of the tank. Armour in those places is usually thinner.
Heavy tanks have thicker armour. Use large caliber machine guns to fire at the viewing ports and weaponry.

Grenades against tanks

Destroy Fascist tanks using grenades thrown from 25-30 meters. The best device to use in this case is the anti-tank grenade (see page 132). Throw it from cover. Aim for the tracks, leading wheels, roof of the engine compartment and turret. If you don't have special anti-tank grenades, throw grenade bundles.
Here is how you make one. Five grenades, loaded and with the safety on, tie together with twine or wire: four grenades with handles in one direction and one in the other (fig. 142)
Take the bundle by the handle of the fifth grenade and throw it at the tank. That grenade explodes first and will trigger the rest of the bundle.
You can make the bundle from three type 1933 grenades. Take off the casing and screw off the handles from two of the grenades. Throw the bundle while holding the third grenade's handle.
After throwing the grenade, duck and take cover.
Antitank rifles and rifle grenades are also useful weapons against tanks. To see how to use them, look at pages 157 and 160.
If possible, sneak up to the tanks and attach explosives to weak points.

Ambushes.

Prepare ambushes on forest roads.
Partially saw some trees on both sides of the road. Leave about one quarter of the trunk intact. Saw at the height of 50-80cm.
Topple the trees across the road, preferably across each other, so their tops point towards the enemy. Have 15 meters of obstructions. Hide. Destroy stopped tanks using any methods available.
If you have antitank mines of explosives, lay them at the obstruction. This makes it impossible to clear the obstruction. If the crew leaves the tank to clear the road, kill them with rifles or grenades.
In case enemy tanks try to go around, set up mines at the side of the road.

Tank Traps

Dig a trench 3 meters in depth (fig 144). The width of the trench should be 5.5 meters at the top, 1.5 at the bottom. Construct a cover on top. For a foundation, use four moderately thick logs, two at the edges of the trench and two in the middle. On top of those, lay twigs and branches. Cover them with a thin layer of soil. People should be able to walk on top of the trap, but tanks should fall though.
Carefully disguise the trap. Remove excess dirt, even out the ground, lay down some grass. During the winter, cover the trap with snow.
Stay close to the trap. Destroy the tank with grenades or bottles. Shoot at the crew as they try to leave.

Combat against armoured cars

The same tactics apply against armoured cars. Throw grenades at the bottom of the car, leading and rear wheels and the mesh on the turret. Throw flammable fluid bottles at the front of the car, where the motor is. Remember that armoured cars have armour thinner than 10mm. It can be pierced with AP rounds from machine guns and rifles. Open fire from less than 300 meters. When facing heavy 4-axle cars, fire at the viewing ports from close range.
When fighting a truck, shoot at the driver, throw flammable fluid at the radiator or the driver, throw grenades at the wheels. If the truck is full of enemy soldiers, use an antitank grenade so they don't get away.

Wire against motorcycles

An enemy motorcyclist can be dismounted by putting up wire across his path. Choose a sturdy tree in a forest. Tie one end of the wire about 1 meter above the ground. Toss the wire across the road and stand near a tree across from the first one. When you hear the enemy approach, wrap the wire across the tree and hide. The motorcyclist will hit the wire and fall off. Destroy or capture him.

Winter obstructions

Snow obstructions: During the winter, fight tanks with snow. Build obstructions given a thickness of snow of at least 25cm. The height should be 1.5m, length – 4m. A tank that hits this obstruction will get stuck and the tracks will lose traction. It is better to make these traps after it gets warmer. In order to hold the snow in place, use straw or twigs, poking them into the snow. Make these traps close to hills, in lowlands and clearings in forest or bushes. It's good to make several of these, especially close to roads.
It makes sense to combine this trap with mines and tree obstructions. Place the mine diagonally on a solid base. The mines will explode under the tank.
Icing: Slopes steeper than 15 degrees should be covered in water. The resulting ice hill will cause the tank to lose traction. You can do this under -5 degrees. It is more effective at very low temperatures. Use this tactic on banks of rivers and streams.

Ice holes: Make holes in ice on rivers and lakes. The width should be 4 meters, the length, 5-6 meters. Cover the hole with branches and twigs and cover it with snow. Such a hole will last a long time and will not be noticed by moving tanks. This is a very effective technique. Remember to keep a distance of 2-2.5 meters between the holes.

Hunting group

Fight tanks in groups of 4-6 people. Two or three throw grenades or bottles. The rest open fire on the evacuating crew.
In case of an ambush, it is good to position some people on the trees. If making an ambush in a narrow place where the cars cannot go offroad, destroy the front and rear cars first. The resulting traffic jam will make it easier to destroy the rest.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The descriptions make it out to be a lot more exciting than it really is. I would also challenge its effectiveness in training Iraqi guerillas. A large amount of the book such as chemical warfare, winter survival, weapon maintenance, and of the German specific chapters would not be applicable to combat outside of that specific theater.

If I were to choose one, I would go with the Schmitt translation. The Grau and Greiss book seems to be pushing the popular history angle way too hard.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Mans posted:

Not that it mattered much, after 1945 the Soviets would be vomiting ISs and t-54s while the Allies would be making GBS threads Pattons and Centurions. All the while their aerial power would keep rising while the Germans relied on 17 year old kids flying manned missiles.

They certainly weren't vomiting T-54s and IS-3s, but they could have if the war had lasted any longer. Meanwhile, T-44s and IS-2s were more than enough to bash Germany's face in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Pretty drat well. Even though the 122mm gun was selected for its HE performance in an infantry support role, it was enough to penetrate Panther and Tiger armour. Test reports say that a Panther tank was thrown back several meters after penetration, although I find that somewhat hard to believe. The did have an unfortunate fault of two-piece ammunition, which made reload times fairly long.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Still, nothing compares to KV-2. 152mm howitzer as the main gun in 1941?! With a turret the size of a Sandcrawler.

Of course, if you're a German, your first instinct is to stick a commander's cupola on top of it to make it even taller...

The KV had a ton of problems. While its armour was impenetrable to anything short of the German 88mm AA gun, the transmission broke down frequtently, it was horribly slow, and the large KV-2 turret couldn't turn unless the tank was parked relatively flat. KV-2s stopped being made before WWII even started, although they are far more recognizable than the KV-1. Once the KV-1 armour was no longer impenetrable by German tanks, it really didn't offer much on the battlefield compared to the faster, cheaper and similarly armed T-34.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Mandatory service is down to a year, now. My grandfather keeps complaining how you can't learn anything in a year and that they should bump it back up to 3. Also being in university grants you an exemption, and then you start off as an officer, so all those poorly trained privates either failed out of post-secondary education or weren't smart enough to get in in the first place.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

bartkusa posted:

Is there anything interesting at all in Lithuanian military history? That's where my parents are from. I don't know much about the place.

Lithuania used to be a pretty big deal in the 14th century, but not so much recently. I don't know a lot about that period, but they conquered a lot of lands and stood up to the Crusades, so they had to have something going for them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

In case anyone who isn't a troll is reading, it was actually fairly common for Axis soldiers to use captured Soviet weapons (especially a couple of AT guns). In quite a few photos from Stalingrad you'll see Germans with PPsH's, for example.

The Germans were exceedingly fond of the 76.2mm ZIS-3 gun, to the point where they developed their own ammunition to use in the ones they captured. Also, the nice thing about captured PPShes and PPSes was they they ran passably on 7.63mm Mauser ammunition the Germans had a bunch of lying around.

Also if you look at the upper handguard, it's obviously a Kar98k.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Were there any Italians in the east? I can't think of any battles where Italy was involved. I also recall Mussolini being less than enthusiastic about fighting the Soviets.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Soviets were fully prepared to give up Moscow if they had to. Factories were evacuated, equipment moved past the Urals. Government was evacuated. Buildings were wired up to explode should the Nazis actually enter the city.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, basically the only difference if the Germans would actually take Moscow would be the hit to morale and Levitan's broadcasts wouldn't start with "Moscow is speaking" (not that he was speaking from Moscow in the first place).

• Locked thread