Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Rabhadh posted:

This isn't true. The "horn" type saddle (I cant actually recall the proper name of it) used through out the world before the advent of stirrups was just as good for keeping the man on his horse during the charge. What stirrups did was give the man enough stability to fight effectivly from his saddle. Before your best bet was to charge in, try to poke a few dudes, break through his formation and not stick around. This is the reason for the development of huge 2 handed lances such as the kontos (translation is roughly barge pole).
I once heard that William's victory at Hastings could be attributed (amongst other reasons) to his use of stirrups, which the British did not have. How true is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

canuckanese posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure by 1066 most people in Europe knew about the stirrup. I think the English defeat was mostly due to the fact that the English didn't have any cavalry at all, plus the fact that they had just fought a battle three weeks earlier against the Vikings and had to march south pretty rapidly to face the Normans. The English were actually holding their own at first but when the Normans started to fall back they broke ranks from the shield-wall and tried to chase them down, allowing the Norman cavalry to counterattack and slaughter the disorganized English infantry with relative ease.

Rabhadh posted:

Stirrups by that point in time had been well spread and the Anglo-Saxons had them too. However, the main battlefield tactic of the Anglo-Saxons was the shieldwall, and Hastings was pretty much the perfect battlefield for a shieldwall. They were sitting on top of a ridge and had only to hold the field until the Normans either starved, disease spread through their camp or the political situation in Normandy changed enough to warrant William having to go back.

Hastings was not a battlefield where one side having the stirrup would make a big difference, because there was no general cavarly engagement. Whatever Anglo-Saxons had ridden to the field had dismounted to fight in the shieldwall. However, I would acknowledge that in the rout after Harolds army had broken the Norman cavarly would've had a field day tearing apart the fleeing huskarls and fryd.

I would say however that winning England as a kingdom could be attributed to the Normans use of cavarly and their stragetic manuverability, its just Hastings has many more factors than just stirrups for the Norman victory. If you'd like a write up just ask and I'll deliver as best I can do.

Thanks! I had always thought Hastings was won primarily because Harold's army was exhausted and couldn't keep their act together, I thought the stirrup thing was BS when I heard it. Just wanted to check.

• Locked thread