Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, this was before radios and other communication so that's a factor. You can't have your whole army spread out across miles of front and hiding in trees and stuff.

And then the Battle of the Somme happened and on the first day the British took 60,000 casualties marching in orderly lines straight at the German trenches. To be fair the Brits thought their seven day artillery bombardment from hell destroyed everything in front of them.

Yeah, from what I remember, was that the lessons of the American civil War was ignored by the Europeans, setting them up for the rude awakening they received in WWI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Puukko naamassa posted:

Wasn't Korea pretty firmly in Japanese control by the beginning of WWI, what with the Japan-Korea Annexation Treaty of 1910 and all?

Yeah. Also in 1905, the U.S. and Japan made a somewhat secret agreement where basically U.S. would let Japan have Korea, if Japan lets US have the Phillipines.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

There are mentions in contemporary Chinese sources about pale skinned mercenaries who fought in a formation similar to the Roman testudo, leading some to believe that some of Crassus's soldiers escaped Carrhae and went east. It's a long shot and the evidence is dubious at its very best but an interesting mystery nonetheless.

The cool part of that story though is that those captured soldiers were settled in liqian in the gansu province and that today; the people there, despite being otherwise han chinese, sometimes inherit caucasian features like fair hair and light-colored eyes.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

KurdtLives posted:

We have fought seemingly every war since with much bloodier scortched earth tactics and attacks on infrastructure, it's not Sherman's fault that CSA was so incompetant that people were actually starving as opposed to being on lovely rations from his actions... Seriously, the south are the whiniest losing side ever... same people who probably yell at you for "blaming America" if you bring up civilian casualties in a country full of brown people.

WTF was McClellan's deal? Not just the battle incompentance, but defending it the rest of his life. You'd think he's say "Sorry I made up whole rebel armies in my head" at some point. He would of been great at a desk though. I agree with Grant, McClellan was the greatest mystery of the war.

I don't see anything in this reply to vindicate Sherman though. Nothing about what you said, in any way, makes what Sherman did as a general, less than assholish, to say the least.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

lilljonas posted:

The Pacific is different than Europe, given that Japan was at their height of their power when you started to fight them, not like Germany who was desperately clinging to their gains after several years of bloody battles with the Soviets.

The only thing I might roll my eyes over is that the role of the Chinese resistance to Japan seems to be glossed over by Americans due to post-war antagonism. If Japan hadn't been bogged down in China since '37, it would have been more difficult for the US to start dealing with Japan four years later. But just like Americans are prone to gloss over the effort of the Soviet Union on the east front, they are prone to gloss over the effort of the Chinese. Because communists can't win wars after all.

Yeah, it's actually really bad because the way it's presented in US history books, China didn't really fight in the war at all, just got conquered. Sometimes there were throwaway lines about how their was a Chinese resistance mainly brought up when covering the communists and nationalists in China rather than under the topic of the war proper.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
The China front is actually pretty cool to read about. I mean in what other front can you read about running cavalry battles between mongols and manchurians?

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
I actually find the "French coward" and the "warlike German" meme kind of funny. Back in the day, the French, especially the Normans, were considered the heart of chivalry and all-around badasses. While at various points in history, Germans had a reputation as unreliable cowards. The Spaniards thought of the German landsknechts as such and even as recently as the US Civil War, the German-American units were labelled as "Dutch cowards".

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Why is this remotely strange or funny? These stereotypes are based on living memory, and that stretches through the 20th and 21st centuries, not the 11th or 16th.

Most people who hold these stereotypes don't actually think about them as something recent. People think of something like the "cowardly french" as something that is essential to French people including extending backwards in time. Just think about the google joke where typing in "list of french military victories" returns nothing. France has definitely won battles and wars before, but most people thinking that French are wussies are unaware of that.

People tend to hold these essentialist notions about other peoples, but examples like these underlie the fact of how historical circumstance can change dramatically how people are perceived and what ideas we have about them. So you have things like the ancestors of most modern Western Europeans: Goths and Germanics, stereotyped pretty similarly by the Romans as those same Whites stereotype Blacks today in America as thuggish, uneducated savages or Jews were stereotyped similarly to Muslims as religious fanatics.

(And yes, I'm fully aware that many people use these memes as jokes without actually believing in their essentialist nature.)

Will2Powa fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 11, 2010

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of literature in English about Asian warfare. What little there is usually focuses on China. This is not necessarily a dead end, however, since China's enormous influence on the region throughout history means that you can usually learn something about Korea, Viet Nam, Mongolia, etc., by studying China itself. To that end, I can suggest a few books on the period you mention:

Chinese Ways in Warfare by Kierman and Fairbank, Harvard University Press, 1974
Medieval Chinese Warfare by David Graff, Routledge, 2002
War, Politics, and Society in Early Modern China, 900-1795 by Peter Lorge, Routledge, 2005

Also, since Korea has often been influenced by Japan as well, you might want to look at:

Samurai, Warfare, and the State in Early Modern Japan by Karl Friday, Routledge, 2003
Heavenly Warriors: The Evolution of Japan's Military, 500-1300 by William Wayne Farris, Harvard University Press, 1996

Finally, if you don't mind slogging through some translated primary sources, there's The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China by Ralph Sawyer, Westview Press, 1993. These texts contain many descriptions and prescriptions relating to ancient Chinese warfare, and give a good idea of what weapons and tactics were valued in ancient times, though you'll have to do a lot of wading to find the interesting stuff.

To add to this; Koreans are closely related to nomadic peoples like the Mongolians and Manchus, so especially earlier on in Korean history, I would probably guess that Korean warfare probably closely resembled that of other northern Asian nomadic peoples at the time. So you might want to look into the military tactics and organization of Manchus and Mongolians for some clues, aside from the very good advice at looking into those of the ancient Chinese.

In the iron age, full-body scale mail was used, seemingly on a widespread scale. It's kind of sad that there's not a lot of information on this era in English, because it was pretty much marked by constant warfare. Armies exhibited more diversity with heavy cavalry w/ full-body armor, shield & lance and barding for the horses, infantry armed with spears and axes, and archers on foot and horse with composite bows. Crossbows were used some, but not very widely. Swords reflected Han influence. Archery and horse-riding were still highly emphasized skills, likely reflecting the Korean kingdoms' origins as a Northern Asian people.

Military organization is more dependent on which specific kingdom or confederacy you want to talk about, though. Shilla, during the Korean three-kingdoms period, had an elite military order called the Hwarang, who served as a source of an officer corp. It seemed the mainstay of the Shilla army was the royal guard, though Shilla also established local garrisons for the different districts. Goguryeo had a similar organization with the core of their army being the royal guard of the king, primarily cavalry, supplemented by garrisons for the different districts and the personal retainers of the aristocracy.

I would actually discount the influence of Japanese to any real extent pre-1000CE. It's true that one of the three kingdoms, Baekje, had very close ties with Japan and even enlisted military aid from them, but the actual influence flowed mainly in the direction of Korea to Japan at the time. I believe that archeological artifacts from Japan at this time show mainly Korean influence. Also, Japan wasn't exactly highly regarded as a developed kingdom by any of the other East Asian polities during this time period.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

THE LUMMOX posted:

This is really awesome article about the wars between the Chinese Sui dynasty and the Korean kingdom of Goguryeo between 598-614. The second invasion of 611/612 involved the largest army fielded since the second Persian invasion of Greece. A size which would not be matched again until at least the 15th century.

Here's a cool excerpt to show to organization of the Sui army and just how epic this war was. Read the whole article here.

Oh my god, this poo poo is like out of a acme cartoon. "I'll get that Wascally Goguryeo!"

Will2Powa fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 18, 2011

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Doesn't really make sense, when there's evidence of people having PTSD after disasters and traumatic events and such.

You can even get a version of it from being abused as a child. It really has more to do with prolonged exposure to danger.
But I imagine killing people can't be good for most people's mental health, either.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I don't buy that. You can literally sell a slave, at any time, to anyone. You can sell someone's wife or kids halfway across the country. They were literally not regarded as human, couldn't own property and didn't even have standing in a court of law. Seriously, read up on antebellum slavery in the US, for example - it's some pretty horrific stuff. Being a serf/peasant still sucked balls, don't get me wrong, but there's a big difference.

In the context of this discussion, it about makes jackshit in difference. When talking about peasant revolts, we're really just talking about forces without formal military training or even access to quality weapons & equipment taking on the established military of their polity. Basically, it doesn't matter if one THEORETICALLY had the right to move away from their land or not if their weapon choices at the end of the day is more like a pitchfork or a hoe. (I don't know if that's accurate or not.)

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Edit:

Is this an Asian soldier in a German uniform?

Japan would press Koreans into service and as I recall, transferred some of them over to Germany.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

How much of the Rommel story is that he isn't associated with the barbarity of the eastern front fighting?

Reading the wikipedia article, it says that he actually refused to have commandos and Jewish POWs killed and also refused to deport the Jews while he was in France. If true, he should be commended for actively curtailing atrocities.

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Interestingly, many of the British wars during the Victorian era happened in spite of the home office in London, rather than because of them. The last thing the government wanted was more wars in Buttfuck Egypt or whatever, but the British had a unique arrogance that compelled them travel to every spot on earth where they weren't welcome.

Usually it went something like this:
:argh: (British government) - Hey, guys, stay out of Fakecountryestan, its not safe there.
:clint: (British adventurer) - Balls to that! I shall go anyway. OH NO I'VE BEEN CAPTURED JUST LIKE THE GOVERNMENT SAID I WOULD, SEND HELP!
:monocle: (British public): I say! We have to help that young chap. Can't have those drat savages thinking they can just arrest one of our citizens while he's in their territory, now can we?
:argh: - gently caress, fine. Send in the troops.

As I'll get to later, the Zulu war was a perfect example of a British colony starting a war first, then informing the home office about it afterwards.

British expats. Eternally terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

Orkiec posted:

I think I heard that the Polish cavalry charges were a myth, but are some one of the biggest cases of anachronistic weaponry for the times?

Of course, there are the banzai charges with katanas mentioned above, but some others mentioned earlier in the thread is Jack Churchill, a Scottish commando who used a longbow and huge claymore in actual combat. Also, on the subject of cavalry charges, there has been succesful horse cavalry charges made by u.s. special forces and afghani allies in afghanistan.

• Locked thread