Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd like to know about the origin of Eagles and Hawks in European Military badges and older banners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Short answer: the Romans worshiped them, and so the first large professional armies Europe had seen were carrying eagle symbols.

Ah, another one of the many things from Rome. Makes a lot of sense now agh.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In the alternate cock worshipping military world I'd like to think instead of the regimental nickname of a certain lot would instead of being the cheesemongers would be the cockmonglers.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 24, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd love if somebody could breakdown the post WW2 history of both West and East German Armies as well as their armed forces post unification.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally wouldn't say there is a 'best' tank really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

GyverMac posted:

For those of you interested in Napoleonic history I recommend this website:

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/index.html

It features a summary of Napoleons armies, and the armies of his main adversaries of the era, what their forces were made up of, and how they fought etc.

By the way, does anybody know of a good website that has pictures/descriptions of napoleonic era uniforms and equipment? I searched everywhere but cant find any comprehensible sites, its just bits and pieces here and there.

I'll be happy to try and answer any old Napoleonic era uniform and equipment questions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey guys, been missing for a few weeks and the General History discussion thread in GBS appears to be archived so I hope you all don't mind if I drop off the entire set of magazines I finished scanning in my abscence and all uploaded online now.

Plus, a bonus set of images of the British Military Musuem where I did some summer temp work.

For those who didn't read that thread in GBS, the following links are BBC Educational Magazines from the seventies that charts the rise, development and fall of the British Empire. From famous peoples and battles to the development of the colonies and relations of the people that dwelled in them. Each one is only thirty pages long but packed full of interested detailed information and images. Sadly I have around eighty of the hundred magazines of the series but it covers a majority of the stuff if you are interested in that sort of thing.

And feel free to drop any of this in the Goon Drop Box for future safe keeping, in case this thread doesn't get Gold Mined.

Duke Of Cornwalls Light Infantry Musuem Scans (GUNZ AND UNIFORMZ)

Issue 1 Victorias Reign High Noon Of Empire
Issue 2 Earths Only Paradise
Issue 3 Showdown With The Spanish Armada
Issue 4 Black Ivory Britains Infamous Slave Trade
Issue 5 Dawn of Empire
Issue 6 The Wealth Of The Indies
Issue 7 The Conquest of Canada
Issue 8 The Assault On India
Issue 9 Americas Road To Revolution
Issue 10 The World Turned Upside Down
Issue 11 The World Revealed
Issue 12 The Coming of The Raj
Issue 13 Early Days Down Under
Issue 14 Nelson At Trafalgar
Issue 15 Planters and Pirates
Issue 16 Revolt Against Slavery
Issue 17 The Struggle For The Cape
Issue 18 The Clash Of Cultures
Issue 19 Indias North West Frontier
Issue 20 Into The Dark Continent
Issue 21 The Indian Mutiny
Issue 22 The Opium War
Issue 23 Buccaneers Of The East
Issue 24 Specks Upon The Sea
Issue 25 Maori Challenge
Issue 26 Livingstone and Stanley
Issue 27 Light Into The Darkness Missionaries and The Empire
Issue 28 The Business Of Empire
Issue 29 Buckets of Diamonds
Issue 30 War on The Veld The Zulu War
Issue 31 Canada Makes Good
Issue 32 A Remote Elite Anglo Indians At Work and Play
Issue 33 The Mystique of Empire
Issue 34 Enlarging The Jewel Conquest of Burma and Ceylon
Issue 35 Guardians Of Empire The Far Flung Imperial Army
Issue 36 Brittania Rules The Waves
Issue 37 Empire of Iron and Steel
Issue 38 On Tour Around The Empire
Issue 39 The Men Who Found The Source Of The Nile
Issue 40 Take Over In East Africa
Issue 41 White Mans Grave
Issue 42 From Suez To Khartoum
Issue 43 Australia Strikes It Rich
Issue 44 Opening The Outback
Issue 45 Industrial Explosion
Issue 46 China Humiliated
Issue 47 Abyssinian Adventur
Issue 48 The Mounties Tame Canadas Wild West
Issue 49 The New Rome London as the Imperial Capital
Issue 50 The Great Game
Issue 51 Rivals For The Heart Land
Issue 52 The Imperial Machine
Issue 53 Eyewitnesses To Empire The Men Who Recorded Imperial Events
Issue 54 Kings In All But Name
Issue 55 Rule Brittania Hope and Glory for Armchair Imperialists
Issue 56 The Boer War
Issue 57 The Boer War Eyewtinesses to Conflict
Issue 58 Ireland The Tortured Colony
Issue 59 A Most Superior Person Curzon, Viceroy Extraordinary
Issue 60 A Parade Of Princes
Issue 61 The Mask Of Savagery The Art Of The Empires Subject Peoples
Issue 62 Antarctic Epic
Issue 63 Women In A Mans Empire
Issue 64 The War Overseas
Issue 65 Birthpangs of Commonwealth
Issue 66 The Road To Suez
Issue 67 The Army At Ease
Issue 68 South Africas Jan Christiaan Smuts
Issue 69 Lawrence And His Legacy
Issue 70 The Second World War 1943-43 The Empire In Peril
Issue 71 The Road To Victory
Issue 72 The Empire On Film
Issue 73 Palestine Britains Crown Of Thorns
Issue 74 The Rise and Fall of Britains Arab Oil Empire
Issue 75 The Lost Jewel Britain loses India, 14 million lose their homes
Issue 76 Britains Pacific Islands
Issue 77 India And Pakistan
Issue 78 Because Its There
Issue 79 The Wind Of Change Hits Africa
Issue 80 Uhuru For Kenya
Issue 81 Britain and her Imperial Rivals
Issue 82 Divided Ireland
Issue 83 King Sugars Bitter Bequest
Issue 84 How Others Saw Us
Issue 85 Cyprus Island Of Sorrows
Issue 86 The Presence That Changed The World
Issue 87 The Loose Ends of Empire
Issue 88 Retreat In The Far East

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

How would you describe the outbreak of WW1? Comical? A complete and utter dogmatized officercorp?

A bunch of blokes getting into a fight at a pub. Said blokes are all Emperors and Statesmen of the Entente and Central Powers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Personally, I'd like to read about the early days of the Red Army when Trotsky was in charge before Stalin took over. Especially during the Russian Civil War era.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, up until the Indian Mutiny anyways.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was hilariously mismanaged as well which led to its downfall when it simply didn't bother fully informing the Indian sepoys that the rumours about the fat in the cartridges of the new rifles and assuming their Indian soldiers would always be loyal to the last.

Of course those men had nowhere to go and nothing to fight for when their own villages and families began to treat them like pariahs for simply doing their job as warriors.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally think after the opening weeks of Operation Barbarossa in which the German Invasion forces seized huge amounts of territory, captured and eliminated swathes of the Red Army and pretty much reduced most of the Soviet Airforce to dust that there wasn't going to be any compromise at all between the USSR and Nazi Germany.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plus gay black Hitler would have gotten into the The Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, either with some artistic flare or sleeping with the Dean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Considering Stalin started off as a two bit Georgian Bank Robber and 'Revolutionary' and ended up as virtually the Soviet Emperor of land from eastern Germany to the south eastern Chinese coast I'd call him anything but stupid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Why were the Germans of WW1 called Huns?

British Propaganda, from the 1st World War homefront radio advertisements and posters. They were also called 'The Bosche'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

But why "Huns"?

Prussians wouldn't be a good idea, as Prussia was a British ally for several important engagements in the past.

I doubt the Ministers in charge of the Propaganda really cared that the Huns were Asiatic people.

Plus, it can be hard to find something that rhymes with Visi or Ostrogoths.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So when is it hitting the cinema?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

So pretty much Germany was done after Stalingrad?

I personally think their fate was sealed the moment they lost the battle for Moscow just outside the city.

But Stalingrad did indeed destroy them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

On the subject of Alternate-History, is possible the Japanese could have won the pacific?

I'm probably the most ignorant about this theatre.

Not really, unless everyone in China suddenly decided that the whole 'extermination and looting' thing was cool and lay down and gave Japan all their resources and land.

Imperial Japan basically bit off more than it could chew. Even if the Japanese knocked out the Carriers at Pearl Harbour it wouldn't have mattered in the long run as the United States simply outclassed Japans Military, Industry and of course the most important thing of all resources.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

When you look back on, it is kinda depressing how Germany, Italy and Japan actually became threats when you notice that a majority of their victories were from slight technological prowness, the world powers being crippled by the economic troubles of the time or just experimenting with post 1st World War tactics.

The late twenties and thirties really hosed the world up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Since we're waffling on about what ifs, how would Italian armour fare against the Japanese tanks?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Poorly, as the tankers would have been shedding so many tears of joy over the fact that they actually faced an opponent that could be defeated that the gunners wouldn't have seen a thing. Apart from that the Japanese 57mm tank gun would not have been able to penetrate the Italian M13/40 frontal armour, while the Italian 47mm guns would have perforated the Japanese 'medium' tanks quite easily. It would have been one sided.

So in other words, only balanced if each side brought its adorable tankettes?

Tab8715 posted:

With the on-going World War II discussion what would you say are the most common misunderstandings or "Top 10 Myths" about World War II.

The stupid Italian and French coward accusations. The Italian and French soldier could fight like the devil, their equipment and officer staff usually let them down though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

The victory of WWII is built upon the bones of millions of red army soldiers.

Edit: Thinking about that particular war, could Japan have done something to keep out of the war. Like say not attacking the US or would they still have been drawn into it?

The moment Militarists seized power over the Japanese Parliament conflict either with US, China or the Colonial Powers was unavoidable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

Did the Italians do anything competently during WW2?

Edit: Submarine raid on Alexandria is the only thing I can think of

Well, they were good at occupying locations and taking the brunt of some of the Soviets with volunteers with the Germans during Barbarossa :smith:.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Actually, The Lancers did have one final and surprisingly successful action on Horseback in 1918 towards the end of the war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

Someone once told me that the English "gently caress you" gesture with two fingers comes from captured English archers being repatriated with these two fingers cut off so these archers could not longer use their bows. By holding them up they were showing their opponents they had their fingers still. Is this true?

I too can confirm this old story as pure bollocks.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Who did the Japanese fight besides Chinese nationalists? Was the rest of it colonies?

The British Empire.
The Dutch Pacific holdings.
The United States and her Pacific Island territories.
Vietnamese Revolutionaries and Nationalists.

And in the closing days of the war, The USSR.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Australia was part of the British Empire, dummy.

Technically, they were a dominion of the British Empire.

But the Japanese really did bite off more than they could possibly ever chew with that war.

Almost went that way for the United Nations Forces during the Korean War when China joined in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

535, the number that really pissed off some of the more nationalistic Japanese at the time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For the sake of clarity, it is helpful to specify which civil war.

He must have meant the Japanese Civil Wars of the 16th century!

Seriously though, The Franco-Prussian war was a delightful mix of old Napoleonic and mid Industrial era fighting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Going back a few hundred years, it makes me really wince thinking about all those smug Cavalary men who still wore their metal cuirass suddenly taking a musket ball in the chest.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Trotsky was pretty badass (for a naive ideolog). After his assassin had smashed an icepick into his head, ol' Lev Davidovich threw himself at the guy and wrestled him to the ground. When his bodyguards showed up some of his last words were basically "Don't kill him, we need him to talk".

The Russian Civil War would turn any nerdy little dude into a cold cold man. Pointless death over outdated and hyped up ideology backed by state supported famine!

The early years of the Bolsheviks up until Stalin clawed his way into power is endlessly facinating for me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think Napoleons utter crushing of the Prussian Army with the humiliation of the state and ending the Frederick myth of invincibility really helped in the states Militarism as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comstar posted:

Re: Placing British Dreadnought spotters directly behind the exhaust stack: What other facepalm moments are there in the history of weapon systems or designs?

The Charge Of The Light Brigade. Yeah, it made for some gloriously dark poetry but come the gently caress on.

Pretty much the whole Crimean War when you think about it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Don't think that counts as a weapon system or design.

If we're going to be specific I would say the Anti-Tank Rifle in the 2nd World War.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

How come? Germans seemed to take the ATR threat seriously enough to keep installing Schürtzen on their tanks until 1945. Modern equivalents such as the Barrett .50 are popular even today.

Well as tank technology grew for certain nations I would say that quite frankly the AT rifle got more and more awkward to use. A man trained with it and basic knowledge of where to shoot to harm the crew or knock out a vital compoment might still have the edge but at the end of the day when a tanks bearing down on you I think anyone would rather have a rocket based Anti-Tank weapon or a Molotov.

And why they did some of the heavier work in the early stages of the war soldiers found that quite frankly awkward to carry and clean especially in certain conditions. I've read many accounts of British soldiers in Burma going 'oops' and casually dumping their AT Rifles on the Jungle trail.

The AT Rifle did a pretty good job in late World War 1 so it wasn't a total disaster and I'm really just grasping at straws.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was guaranteed to get you laid and kept you warm in the days before central heating too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally find it hilarious seeing Victorian era Redcoats all bearded the gently caress up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You too can dress up like a soldier from the past*!

*Assuming you have hundreds to spare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baconroll posted:

In some areas the Home Guard became an alternate power structure when the fear of invasion was still 'real'. They routinely detained the Police and regular army units. Some of it was concern about infiltrators, and some was settling of scores.

The Home Guard also killed a fair number of people, either through negligent discharges of their firearms, or getting carried away and shooting 'spies'. I did see a program on a council official getting shot as a 'spy' quite deliberately.

If a institution isn't slightly corrupt full of angry useless egotistic and dangerous wankers it isn't British dammit!

• Locked thread