Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My brother claims the Civil War was a useless war because slavery would have become economically unviable around 30 years after the 1860s. He told me it would become too expensive to care for the slaves. (He also claims this is why in a libertarian society there wouldn't be slavery) Bullshit? Not bullshit?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm a bit confused about the Spanish Civil War. Which side represented the government from before the war, the Republicans or Nationalists?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Something of an alternate history question, what would have happened if Germany won WWI? Would there have been a difference if they had won by managing to seize Paris in 1914 or if they barely held out and "won" in 1918? What if World War I never happened at all?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gradenko_2000 posted:

How different were WW1 U-Boats compared to WW2 U-Boats? I keep hearing about how April 1917 was a really really bad month to be in the British Merchant Marine, though I can't quite imagine how advanced submarine technology would be by then.

U-boats in WWI tended to use their deck guns over torpedoes, due to lack of planes trying to hunt them down. I believe the biggest U-boat ace of WWI almost exclusively used his deck gun.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mans posted:

I can't imagine the balls you'd have to dangle between your legs to stand in open ground completely straight while musket bullets wizzle by and cannon shots obliterate entire lines. Not to mention that while this act is horrific, it was followed by a bayonet charge were you had to stab your enemy right in the gut and see him die before you.

No trenches, no shield, no cuirass, nothing could protect you but divine will. War in the 19th century must've been the most terrifying time in military history.

I've heard a flintlock pistol go off, and I'm surprised that every single soldier who fought back then didn't go deaf. Seriously, how did they avoid that?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gemuse posted:

Can anyone tell me about Soviet air power during WW2? How did they perform compared to the Germans (and the the rest of the allies)? Were the planes any good? How did CAS perform against tanks?

The Soviet air force started out pretty lovely, being small and equipped with crappy, outdated planes (biplanes, bombers with exposed cockpits), training that was quite lacking, and much of it was destroyed in the initial German attack. As the war went on better aircraft were designed and used, and pilots (those that lived anyway) got better training and more experience. Huge amounts of planes were made (the Il-2 mentioned earlier is one of the most produced aircraft in history). Eventually sheer numbers and better aircraft design meant that the Soviet air force gained the upper hand over the Luftwaffe. I've never really heard anything about how the Soviets compared to the British and U.S. airforces, though.

The Soviets never really had a good strategic bomber, and their smaller bombers were pretty mediocre until quite late in the war. Their ground attack aircraft were very good, and their fighters ranged from suicide machines to hotrods of death.

One more thing, the Land-Lease Act meant that large numbers of U.S. planes were given to the Soviets, usually ones that had been phased out in the USAF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 15, 2011

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nenonen posted:

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth??? If THIS:

is your idea of crappy and outdated, then crappy and outdated is the RIGHT way to go!

:stare: I take back everything I said. Soviet air force is the best air force. :ussr:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What's with the little propeller on the front of the Me 163?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Oxford Comma posted:

Luftwaffe version of this?

Awwwww that plane looks so cute now :3:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Chechens, can somebody do a good write up about those nasty little wars? I've heard them mentioned a lot lately and they sound really hosed up. Like Yugoslavias break up messed up.

Chechnya (and some neighboring provinces) has a Muslim majority, which causes problems considering they're part of a majority agnostic/atheist/Orthodox country, not to mention they have suffered abuse under Russian and Soviet rule. Both the Russians and Chechens have committed war crimes. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Chechen_War#Origins and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Chechen_War

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gohuskies posted:

I know nothing about the answer to this question. But I do know a thing or two about bayonet usage as of the 1940s and WW2, and I choose to share it. It actually wasn't used as much as you'd think.

I didn't think it got used at all.

I like turtles posted:

Something I occasionally wonder about :
As of right now, January 2012, what would be the most likely cause for an outbreak of ground war between two states lasting more than 30 days in Europe? Not counting Russia or the Baltic states. Assume no nuclear deployments.
Who are the players, what is the scenario?

France and England, obviously. Its been too long, those toads/fish need to be taught a lesson :argh:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 13, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Was there ever any Roman plans to invade Scandinavia? Or, hell, plans to invade other places, like the area of Poland/East Germany? Also, when did Europeans first "discover" Sub-Saharan Africa?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Oxford Comma posted:

Please rate the effectiveness of this weapon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SmfybCbsY

You laugh, but that balloon will come back. Just when the Taliban least expects it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
A couple of what-if questions:

What if the Umayyads had won the Battle of Tours? Would it have lead to more expansion into France?

What if the Romans had won the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

YOUGAY posted:

What was the first military?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd3-1tcOthg&feature=player_detailpage#t=88s

As soon as people starting fighting each other in an organized fashion, so there's no exact date.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I believe King said in the acknowledgement that he consulted with a political scientist or something about what a worst-case scenario would be if Kennedy wasn't assassinated.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Alright two more what if questions:

1. What would have happened if the Black Death never appeared, and no other plagues of similar size occurred?

2. What if Wilson's plan for the end of World War I had gone through as he wanted it to, with a lenient treaty for Germany and the United States joining the League of Nations?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Was the Republic of China officially a part of the Allies during World War 2? Also, why did Germany decide to ally with Japan instead of China?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mustang posted:

There's no evidence that Grant was ever drunk on campaign. It's blown way out of proportion, officers that served with Grant throughout the war repeatedly claim that they have never seen him drunk, yet that's how many modern Americans view him.

Its not bad if Grant was drunk, that would just make him more badass.

I heard once that Lincoln himself wasn't bad at generaling(?), though I can't remember where I heard it or if its actually true.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

New Division posted:

he could have hardly done worse than some of the parade of incompetents that staffed the Army of the Potomac in early part of the war.

I like how there was a Pope, Mead(e), Hooker, and Burnside that all commanded the AotP.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What was the largest surrender in military history by number of troops? Google isn't giving an answer.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SeanBeansShako posted:

Paul I really had a hard on for Prussians I see.

Well who doesn't? :fap: :shlick:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Modern Day Hercules posted:

CE is just lazy.

Its less confusing if you just keep it the same as AD/BC.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Meatball posted:

Is there any information out there about what the Confederacy would have done had they won the civil war?

I saw a documentary on Netflix called 'The confederate states of America'

That was a parody/social commentary, and not really an accurate "what if" scenario.

What would have happened if Germany had gone through on Plan Z and finished the Graf Zeppelin, instead of focusing on U-Boats?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Boiled Water posted:

Nothing. The rivalry between the Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine was too great for them to ever collaborate.

Well, okay then what about just Plan Z?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Comrade_Robot posted:

Whenever you ask "What if Nazi Germany built ..." you have to ask: At the expense of what?

The U-Boat fleet, which they built instead. I'm pretty sure Plan Z was a pre-war thing too, before all the resource constraints. But point taken about the land-power/naval-power thing.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Next question: What would have changed if George Washington was a Terminator?

Uh excuse me, I don't think it would have made much difference, I mean you can't just change one variable and expect history to go another way :reject:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is it generally correct to say that there was no way that Germany could have won World War II*, and that most of its success in the war was due to luck and a touch of elbow grease?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Alchenar posted:

2) McNair and his loving stupid TD doctrine held up the resources necessary to develop the M26 so it wasn't ready in time.

Okay, what is this TD doctrine that I've heard so much of in the last page?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SlothfulCobra posted:

At what point in time did people start to use guns for hunting, and have any other weapons throughout history had civilian uses?

What, you've never gone hunting with a flak 88? Exploded meat is the best meat, let me tell ya

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Did the USSR have plans to destroy Skylab and the US plans to destroy Mir/Salyuts during the Cold War?

Well, the USSR did equip one of its space stations with a cannon to shoot down satellites.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Nckdictator posted:

A Japanese pamhplet explaining their invasion of China

"Well, you see, we're fighting China in order to be at peace with China!"

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Jeoh posted:

Wasn't that guy launching cruise missiles from fishing boats?

No, he launched them from land(?), but he used a bunch of small boats to sneak up on the Blue fleet.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was the M3 Lee the ugliest tank in the war?

I think you mean coolest looking :colbert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Might be. But I think that grand prize for "Ugliest tank ever" rests solidly with the St. Chammond.

I changed my mind, this is the best looking tank. I'm saying this completely unironically.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lichtenstein posted:

and there was a white leader having grand visions of reinstating the mongol empire.

C'mon man, you can't just leave it at that! Didn't that guy actually take over Mongolia for a little bit?

Also I'd like to add something about the non-military side of the Russian Civil War: it was absolute hell on Earth for anyone not in the militaries. Millions of people starved, there was no fuel to heat anything (or get anywhere in the huge empire), and considering the Russian winter, well. Slaughters and massacres were common on all sides, and villages and towns were often wiped from the map. The Russian Civil War is one of the most grim, brutal conflicts I can think of.

Anyway, I have a question: was the use of nuclear weapons in the Vietnam War ever seriously considered, and what would have happened if they had been used?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 1, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Medieval Medic posted:

And finally, what is the reason the US decided to exterminate the natives, while in latin america they were incorporated and most people are of both european and native ascendance?

They were only "incorporated" after years of brutal slave labor, and even then the natives and those of mixed descent were considered second-class citizens for a good long while. Generally speaking though, the Native American population in Mesoamerica and the former Incan empire was quite dense compared to the eastern coast of the future United States (after disease wiped out the majority of Native Americans); in addition, white settlers (much greater in number than those going to the Spanish colonies) to the English colonies in NA often brought their families, meaning that there was no "need" to marry/have sex with Native Americans. I suppose Native Americans were "otherized" in the United States because of this? I'm not super knowledgeable on the subject, I'm sure I got something wrong.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Medieval Medic posted:

I know that much about how natives were treated, being actually latin american myself. I know nothing of the settling of the US, so, what you are saying is the settlers in the US were mostly civilians who wanted to get away from England, as opposed to the soldiers and mercenaries who were looking for a quick buck down here and ended up deciding to stay?

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly it.* Sorry about that, I forget there are foreign goons sometimes :saddowns:

*There is a bit more nuance than this, the first settlers of the southern colonies, like Virginia, were in fact looking for a quick buck by looking for gold or growing cash crops, though eventually that transitioned into permanent settlement and a large influx of mostly white indentured servants and black slaves. In the northern colonies like Massachusetts, it was pretty much as you described.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 1, 2012

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What about the Nazi's espionage in the Soviet Union?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

R. Mute posted:

Also, I just remembered how that war went down in Victoria II. The main problem is that in the game, Belgium stood a chance against the Netherlands on their own - and you can usually actually gain ground on the Netherlands as Belgium. The time-frame's also messed up, but that's probably due to the game starting in 1836. The main error is that France doesn't save Belgium and isn't involved at all, IIRC.

Victoria 2 doesn't have events like its predecessor, so France's AI would have to independently decide to get involved.

• Locked thread