Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Why was the French leadership in WW2 so lethargic? It sounds like they were getting reports via bicycle courier and sleeping on every decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Why does American military hardware all start with an M?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Sure their tanks and BMPs were radiation protected, but what about their supply trucks!

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 20, 2011

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Why are tank guns smoothbore instead of rifled?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Has anyone invented cluster bombs with random timed fuses? It would be very risky to clear them without a bulldozer or exploding-rope-on-a-rocket.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

I've heard that the Bradly had a rough development. Was it mission creep or something else?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

They can probably do most of their training flights with more accessible planes.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

An Iranian nuclear program intended for immediate use against Israel would require the thousands of people involved all be suicide bombers.

A good argument against nukes is just Murphy's law; It's inevitable that SOMEONE/THING will gently caress up and destroy civilization. This is more true with faster delivery methods where NORAD or whoever have less time to figure out whether or not full-scale retaliation is the proper response. "Whoops, it was just a computer glitch! Boy is my face red and also melting".

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 12, 2011

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

How would you describe the outbreak of WW1? Comical? A complete and utter dogmatized officercorp?
Russia mobilizes against Austria, Germany retaliates by invading Luxembourg.

Alchenar posted:

A roll of the dice by a German Government which was aware that within two years it's only plan to win the next war would be rendered obselete and which needed a war to assert it's status as a great power.
How would their plan go obsolete?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Were there any diehard fanatics who didn't accept Doinitz's surrender and kept fighting the Allies?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

How is the Stryker? I somehow got the impression that it suffers from design by committee/feature creep but I don't know how true that is.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Was civilian morale really that important with a relatively fanatical population and near absolute control?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

drat. The thought of Napoleonic lines and columns with bolt action rifles :stare:

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Too bad the French didn't believe in fuel.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

What were Napoleon's secrets to success? A clever gimmick, luck, balls, genius, or ???

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Someone say stuff about naval development and battles between the first ironclad and the Dreadnought. Like why did ships in WW1 still have what looks like rigging.

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 12, 2011

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Step 2

Assuming the target is moving at a constant speed and course, then these bearing lines should divide his course into equal divisions. You now have Bearing and Course.

I knew the other steps from Oberlieutenant's Silent Hunter LP, but I never knew how they got this one. That's a lot more precise than they "ehh, looks like it pointing towards us by 15 degrees" method.

Ograbme fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 13, 2011

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Were American Civil War battles still fought in Napoleonic point-blank battles? The rifles were so much more accurate that I can't see the shooting phase of a battle lasting more than 15 minutes!

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Someone say stuff about 3rd-4th generation jets! Weapons, radar, planes, tactics, avionics, whatever.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

How did wargames work before modern computers and laser tag? I have a hard time picturing Napoleon rolling dice and looking up a terrain effects chart or a referee standing between two firing lines telling x number of grenadiers they're "out" between volleys.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

The ship in that picture was scuttled to prevent it from destroying Dover.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

is there anything more :psyduck: than the Czar Tank

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

What were conventional NATO/WarPac forces expected to do in a nuclear WW3? Morale would be zero and everyone not in a tank or APC would be vomiting blood.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

I'm surprised Turkey doesn't support Kurdish autonomy in Iraq just so they can say "THERE. THERE'S YOUR loving KURDISTAN. NOW QUIT YOUR BITCHING AND GET OUT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, the west really hosed up the mid-east during that period. Turkey turned out pretty nice apart from the (still denied) genocide of Armenians. They have a secular government, but the military holds lots of power. Pretty weird, but wayyy better compared to the poo poo that's happened in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Afghanistan etc. Oil and greed really screwed the citizens in that region.
Paul "Sentient Turd" Wolfowitz got mad at the Turkish army for not overthrowing the elected government when they didn't support the Iraq war.

What have international mercenaries been up to since WW2? Aside from survivalist/hitmen ads in Soldier of Fortune, I only know about the Congo wars and the Seychelles coup (deposed president hired some guys to retake the island Jagged Alliance-style, then some idiot told the airport customs guy that he had an AK in his duffel bag).

• Locked thread