Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Morose Man posted:

Technological question.

First let me check if my understanding is correct. In the First Gulf War American tanks were able to dominate the numerically superior Iraqi tank forces because of very high one shot kill percentage. This seems to imply that armour on a tank isn't effective against modern main battle tanks.

As has been said, the Iraqi T72s that kept having their turrets blown off in Desert Storm were inferior export models and a generation behind the M1 Abrams, which were one-shotting them from farther away than the Iraqis could see.

I've read the after-action report on 73 Easting (and, sadly, lost the link). If you can find it, it'll answer your question -- there was a lot of friendly fire in that battle. I forget the Abrams-vs-Abrams stats (I think they are proof against their own silver bullets on the front and not so much on the sides, as you'd expect, but don't quote me), but the APC results were pretty funny -- drat near every shell hole in a Bradley (and there were quite a few Bradleys hit) was small and "slightly radioactive," which means depleted uranium penetrator, which means it came from an M1. The report does not say whether they were targeted or just drove between an M1 and a T72. Whatever the case, it turns out an APFSDS lawn dart doesn't do much to a lightly-armored APC, it just goes through and leaves a tiny hole and the crew barely notices. The only friendly-fire hard kill was one Bradley putting a TOW missile into another.

quote:

Will we ever again see a situation like the Russian Front in World War 2 where astonished Panzer commanders saw their shells bounce harmlessly off T-34s?
The Iraqi soldiers in T72s in Desert Storm did.

quote:

How important will armour be on AFVs in the future?
With the heavies, it's an arms race. On a main battle tank (or the old big-gun battleships, for that matter), ideally you design the armor to be able to shrug off hits from the gun(s) it's carrying; hopefully your guns (and therefore armor) are bigger than theirs. Unfortunately it doesn't always turn out that way, as the British battlecruisers proved in both World Wars (specifically, Jutland and Hood vs. Bismarck) -- they sacrificed armor for speed, thinking they'd stay ahead and plink at Jerry with their longer-ranged guns; it didn't quite work out in practice.

APCs/IFVs are pretty much only proof against small arms, possibly with slat armor to stop RPGs; if you get in a shooting match with a tank, you run the gently caress away and let your tanks take care of it.

Tangentially, back in the age of sail it was an unwritten rule that ships of the line wouldn't fire on frigates unless the little guy shot first. The frigates were scouts and messengers and it would be unsporting for the heavies to engage them.

Edit: slightly less of a tangent: It amuses me that 73 Easting was basically a heavy cavalry charge, using essentially the same tactics as the knights of old. Sure, you've got depleted-uranium lawn darts and Browning .50s instead of lances and swords, but the movements are the same with tanks as with horses. It makes sense, I suppose -- Patton, who wrote the book on tanks (well, read that magnificent bastard's book and added his own comments) was originally a horseman, and designed the last serious fighting sword before he was put in a tank and out-blitzed the blitzkrieg.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Mr Crustacean posted:

How the gently caress does the bradley crew not notice a 2km/s, pyrophoric, long rod penetrator spalling the gently caress outta the insides of their vehicle?
:psyduck:
As has been said, "barely noticed" in the hyperbolic sense of "were not instantly reduced to paste/ashes and/or riding the turret as it rocketed away from the hull," unlike many T-72 crews involved in the battle. Also it's been awhile since I read it, and I somewhat misremembered the severity of the casualties.

I can't find the report I was talking about, but here's somebody else's commentary on the same information; a few Bradleys did catch fire and melt to a puddle when hit, and several soldiers were killed and a great many wounded by shrapnel from the hit and flash burns from secondaries, but in general a Bradley being hit by a 120mm APFSDS seems pretty survivable. As long as you're not in the path of the round itself and it doesn't hit the stack of AT-4s, you'll probably be able to crawl out and survive. Some of them did keep on truckin', and in most of the ones that were disabled, the crews bailed out then went back to grab supplies and destroy the secret bits.

As for hot hot Abrams-on-Abrams action, the 120mm "silver bullet" will indeed go right through both sides of the hull from certain angles; another was hit three times in and around the turret and the gunner killed with no penetrations.

Only one Abrams took a 120mm to the front; it shrugged it off like a champ, but it had a mine-clearing plow and the hit trashed the plow wiring, causing an electrical fire at the plow controls that gave the driver flash burns and a Halon bath, so they had to bail (after the battle the tank was repaired and operated by a three-man crew, with the loader replacing the injured driver, for a week until somebody decided they really shouldn't be rolling around shorthanded in a tank coated in radioactive dust).

Abrams trivia: There is a canister round for the Rheinmetall 120mm, for when a tank needs to ruin the day of an unarmored opponent up to a mile away. Around 1100 (sources vary) 9.5mm tungsten pellets, basically the 0000 buckshot load from hell. Also really effective as a breaching round at short range -- y'know how the infantry has shotguns/underslung Masterkeys for blowing the hinges off doors to get in? An M1A1 firing a canister round can make a door-sized hole in a reinforced concrete wall. :black101:

The East India company always amuses me. You think modern PMCs are bad? The British East India company was pretty much a sovereign imperial power -- it had a private army, collected taxes in its dominions, and was for a large part of its history only answerable to the Crown in a technical sense (either by being too powerful to gently caress with or by having the British parliament in its pocket to an extent modern lobbyists can only dream of).

• Locked thread