Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«287 »
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, they hook your car up to the scanner anytime its in the dealer for service now.

Sure, but that's not the same as VW requiring that scan data to approve a warranty claim. The dealer does not want to deny your warranty claim, it's not their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Yup, they’ve been pretty great honestly. Rocking a loaner Tiguan, which isn’t half bad. Probably going to spring for the clutch overhaul too, as they’ll do it for the cost of the kit. Not cheap, but hopefully I never have to worry about it again. Definitely hoping for a success story like yours.

Still curious about a tune, but it’s leagues ahead of anything else I’ve had as it is. That turbo I tell ya.

I paid for a clutch and flywheel as VW considered those wear items and not covered by still $700 for a new engine wasn't a bad deal.
They originally thought it was just the cam follower causing the problem but as they tore into it more it was something with the crank shaft. They showed me it when I stopped by the end of the crank was able to move back and forth in the block by about 1/2"

nitsuga
Dec 31, 2006

It's the only way to live.

Thumposaurus posted:

I paid for a clutch and flywheel as VW considered those wear items and not covered by still $700 for a new engine wasn't a bad deal.
They originally thought it was just the cam follower causing the problem but as they tore into it more it was something with the crank shaft. They showed me it when I stopped by the end of the crank was able to move back and forth in the block by about 1/2"

Yeah, I asked about a flywheel, and boy those are a pretty penny at $800 or so. Im pretty sure its dual mass, so not really something that can be machined I hear. Im gonna talk to an independent VW shop about it too, but Im curious if youd still opt for it. Dealer said I could probably forgo the both really, but they understand there are benefits to replacing the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. The flywheel not so much in their opinion.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sure, but that's not the same as VW requiring that scan data to approve a warranty claim. The dealer does not want to deny your warranty claim, it's not their money.
I think the issue would only ever pop up for major engine work. A tune doesn't void a warranty, it just allows VW to deny claim on parts that could be affected. If you blow a turbo, I can guarantee they are scanning the car.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, I asked about a flywheel, and boy those are a pretty penny at $800 or so. I’m pretty sure it’s dual mass, so not really something that can be machined I hear. I’m gonna talk to an independent VW shop about it too, but I’m curious if you’d still opt for it. Dealer said I could probably forgo the both really, but they understand there are benefits to replacing the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. The flywheel not so much in their opinion.

I mean if you have the money I'd go ahead and do it all at once just for piece of mind and not having to pay for it to all be torn apart again in the near future.
I asked my dealer about getting the parts myself but they said because it was warranty work it had to be genuine VW parts. Which I was fine paying for in the end they really did help me out a ton with getting it covered.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

If Godzilla can do it, you know I can deliver!

Pillbug

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, I asked about a flywheel, and boy those are a pretty penny at $800 or so. Im pretty sure its dual mass, so not really something that can be machined I hear. Im gonna talk to an independent VW shop about it too, but Im curious if youd still opt for it. Dealer said I could probably forgo the both really, but they understand there are benefits to replacing the clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. The flywheel not so much in their opinion.

There may be a VW OEM Single Mass you could request in place of the OEM Dual Mass.

nitsuga
Dec 31, 2006

It's the only way to live.

Regarding the flywheel, Im still thinking about doing it. Everyone I talked to said theyd check it out, but the dealer is saying theyd want to be done as soon as possible, not waiting on the part. Ive got a few questions for them though.

MustardFacial
Jun 19, 2011

Feels Good. Tastes Better.

Does anybody have any experience with re-manufactured turbos from Rock Auto? I've got a B8 Audi A4 and the little pressed pin on the wastegate arm is loose so it won't boost past 14psi. My local shop wants 3 grand for an OEM Audi turbo, which for that price I might as well just upgrade to a k04. But Rock Auto sells re-manufactured turbos from Mahle/Clevite for about $900 plus a core charge.

I would like to just get the re-manufactured turbo if I can, but I have no idea about the quality of Mahle/Clevite parts. Will it last another 100,000km? Or will it just last 20?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Does anybody have any experience with re-manufactured turbos from Rock Auto? I've got a B8 Audi A4 and the little pressed pin on the wastegate arm is loose so it won't boost past 14psi. My local shop wants 3 grand for an OEM Audi turbo, which for that price I might as well just upgrade to a k04. But Rock Auto sells re-manufactured turbos from Mahle/Clevite for about $900 plus a core charge.

I would like to just get the re-manufactured turbo if I can, but I have no idea about the quality of Mahle/Clevite parts. Will it last another 100,000km? Or will it just last 20?

If you have to replace it 2 more time in the next 100,000km is the hassle not worth it? What if it's just once more?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I were going to keep the car as a forever car I'd probably go OEM. If I were planning to sell the car in the moderately near future I would slap the reman turbo on there.

MustardFacial
Jun 19, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I were going to keep the car as a forever car I'd probably go OEM. If I were planning to sell the car in the moderately near future I would slap the reman turbo on there.

Murgos posted:

If you have to replace it 2 more time in the next 100,000km is the hassle not worth it? What if it's just once more?

I hear what you guys are saying, and I guess it depends on how long I decide to keep this car for. I haven't really thought about it, but I guess if I were to put a reman unit in here and it fails after 50K or so I'd probably just sell it and get something else (see if I can find a cheap S4 or something).

I'm also not 100% sure yet that it is the wastegate. All I have to go on so far is the butt dyno and the logs showing a lack of boost. The car hasn't popped a P0299 code yet, and I haven't been able to get underneath the car or remove the intake to wiggle the actuation rod. It could be the N75 valve for all I know (though I don't know how common of an issue that is on the B8, or even really how to diagnose it). I do however have an alternative option that isn't a new turbo:

Forge Adjustable Wastegate Actuator - This replacement actuator won't fix the wobbly actuator rod issue, but you can adjust the length on it to make it a bit longer and press the wastegate into position. It's also only $200, and would be a much, much easier install.

Once I get home, I'm going to check the wastegate rod and see if it wobbles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

good luck selling an audi with a blown turbo

MustardFacial
Jun 19, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

good luck selling an audi with a blown turbo

I've got a good deal with my local shop. I'll sell it to them and they'll fix it and sell it on. Hell, if they have an S4 maybe we can work out a trade-in deal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

I've got a good deal with my local shop. I'll sell it to them and they'll fix it and sell it on. Hell, if they have an S4 maybe we can work out a trade-in deal.

go with god, then!

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Hey VW goons, I'm looking for the opinion of someone who owns an Alltrack (or a Golf or SportWagen or whatever) and also rides bikes. I was interested in getting a tray-style bike rack but the manual says that the car will explode or something if I even think of installing a hitch. Does anyone have a solution they like that isn't a trunk rack?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

lavaca posted:

Hey VW goons, I'm looking for the opinion of someone who owns an Alltrack (or a Golf or SportWagen or whatever) and also rides bikes. I was interested in getting a tray-style bike rack but the manual says that the car will explode or something if I even think of installing a hitch. Does anyone have a solution they like that isn't a trunk rack?

They probably don't want you hauling a boat with it, bicycle racks are fine. But looks like there are plenty of options:

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Volkswa...portWagen/hitch

Uhaul usually installs these for a hefty fee, but it's possible to do it yourself depending on how much space and equipment you have.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a similar hitch on a GTI and it was extremely easy to install myself, took about an hour using wheel ramps.

MustardFacial
Jun 19, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go with god, then!

UPDATE:

After taking a bunch more logs and talking with the guys at Audizine it's looking like the issue isn't with the actuator arm itself, but with the flapper wheel inside the exhaust housing. I still have to pull the cat off to confirm, but if that's the case then it's new turbo time. Fortunately for me CTS Turbo is down the road from my house, and I'm going to be heading over there to see what they have in the area of k04's.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

UPDATE:

After taking a bunch more logs and talking with the guys at Audizine it's looking like the issue isn't with the actuator arm itself, but with the flapper wheel inside the exhaust housing. I still have to pull the cat off to confirm, but if that's the case then it's new turbo time. Fortunately for me CTS Turbo is down the road from my house, and I'm going to be heading over there to see what they have in the area of k04's.

Oh no way, I'm in New W.

I've used RPI Equipped before and had a very good experience - maybe you can chat with them too and see what they can offer you.

MustardFacial
Jun 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Oh no way, I'm in New W.

I've used RPI Equipped before and had a very good experience - maybe you can chat with them too and see what they can offer you.

Hah, small world.

I've gotten in touch with Malone Tuning in Surrey who made the ECU tune I flashed. They're going through some logs now and will let me know when they figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Hah, small world.

I've gotten in touch with Malone Tuning in Surrey who made the ECU tune I flashed. They're going through some logs now and will let me know when they figure it out.

For what it's worth I used Racing Greed before in Coquitlam for dyno tuning my RHD sti and they were easy to work with. I did find I really had to be proactive about issues with them though, I had to get it retuned once.

«287 »