Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Reading the manual says G12++ and G13 only. TL-VW 774 J is the factory coolant.

No one sells this that is local-ish it seems, where I can have it shipped not at gently caress you prices. My local dealers and the local VW/Audi shops are all closed today so I can’t even figure out if they will sell it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

dialhforhero posted:

Reading the manual says G12++ and G13 only. TL-VW 774 J is the factory coolant.

No one sells this that is local-ish it seems, where I can have it shipped not at gently caress you prices. My local dealers and the local VW/Audi shops are all closed today so I can’t even figure out if they will sell it to me.

No Advance Auto near you? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...chTerm=pentosin

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Crayvex posted:

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2015 Audi S3 Cabriolet with 55,000 KM. I absolutely adore this car! (My first since I made the move from the USA to Switzerland.) My only complaint is the lack of a backup camera. I don’t understand how a car with lane assist, adaptive cruise control, road sign recognition doesn’t come with one. How hard is it to install one? I’m used to working on American cars where cable routing is miserable and body panels will squeak after being reassembled.

Hi from Valais. Your car looks great, will be a ton of fun through summer. My same-year TTS also has no reversing camera and I had been thinking about getting it installed. If I had it done in the UK it would be £650 which I suspect would be worth the money. I imagine you could get it done in Germany for a similar amount.

Stuff in Switzerland is just so needlessly expensive. I can get a discount on Audis through work and was pricing up a RS5. Configured price in CH 121,000Fr, same car in the USA is $87,000. Basically 50% more expensive.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

No there is, but I was getting a lot of ‘this is not compatible’ messages plus as I was asking, I wanted to know if non VW OeM fluid was okay.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do yourself a favor and go get a bottle of OEM unmixed from your parts dept too. My Mk7 Golf R needs a top off now and again. I'm told the turbos are just like that.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. I will. Then I will see if it goes down again and if so I will keep you all posted.

Appreciate the help.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

I used my other car today.

If I have to take it to a shop can I even drive it there?

I guess I always assumed a coolant system on every engine is a completely sealed system so wtf?

3 solid new thread titles right there.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

The bottle of unmixed coolant isnt the cheapest, but it should last forever since you're 1:1 (check this i might be misremembering)-ing it with distilled water

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. I am just getting a bottle of VW OEM coolant from the dealer. 1 gallon pre mixed for $20. I don’t mind.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
been smelling the sickly sweetness of coolant around my GTI for like a year. reservoir level has been stable though so no idea. I keep 20oz bottle of coolant mixed in the back by the spare tire along with an extra coil pack and a short piece of wood as a support in case I ever need that POS widow maker jack.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 20, 2020

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

knox_harrington posted:

Hi from Valais. Your car looks great, will be a ton of fun through summer. My same-year TTS also has no reversing camera and I had been thinking about getting it installed. If I had it done in the UK it would be £650 which I suspect would be worth the money. I imagine you could get it done in Germany for a similar amount.

Stuff in Switzerland is just so needlessly expensive. I can get a discount on Audis through work and was pricing up a RS5. Configured price in CH 121,000Fr, same car in the USA is $87,000. Basically 50% more expensive.

You aren’t kidding! The good news is the Swiss salary is really nice. After driving it for a few weeks I realize I can live without a backup camera. It would make it easier for my weird parking garage. I have a spot that is straight back and to the left. Platforms move the cars out of the way. It’s a long way to back in and I have to hug the concrete wall to make sure I have room to get out.

Queue the Tetris theme

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Update: no static leak for sure. Topped it off with about 12 oz. of fluid to the line. Ran the car for about 10 minutes until the engine was warmed up. Checked the tank and it rose slightly so it must have just been evaporation or a very small and slow leak.

Thanks for the help. Hope I didn’t seem too freaked out—I just never had a car that needed coolant. Oil/transmission/brake/wiper all have been topped off before but not coolant.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a general Volkswagen thread? I'm wondering what type of small modifications I can do on my Tiguan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

obi_ant posted:

Is there a general Volkswagen thread? I'm wondering what type of small modifications I can do on my Tiguan.

this is that thread

why did you buy that tiguan that everyone told you not to buy

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is that thread

why did you buy that tiguan that everyone told you not to buy

I actually didn’t buy that one. A few models came in that were a lot more reasonable, but were sold out within the day. I wasn’t even able to go and see the car.

So I went to VW.com and looked up every dealership within California to see if had my model. They did not. Used CarGurus to look nation wide, found some, none of them would deliver to California.

Called a car broker through Cartilligent and she very nice and helpful in basically telling me that the car was basically hard to find, so I’m not crazy. From what she told me, my model was too specific, price point was too low (dealers have no real reason to drop prices ATM) and the inventory for that specific model is very limited. But she told me to keep on looking because dealers literally get new inventory on a daily basis, they just sell out very quickly.

Feeling a bit better and that I wasn’t crazy, I looked around CarGurus again and found two models that weren’t there the day before. Called in and drove two hours each way to pick up the car. Apparently I also knew

I’m now the owner of a 2019 white Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium CPO. Car had 4K miles on it and I got it for 34k out the door. Car new would be 38k without the taxes and all that other poo poo.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

obi_ant posted:

I actually didn’t buy that one. A few models came in that were a lot more reasonable, but were sold out within the day. I wasn’t even able to go and see the car.

So I went to VW.com and looked up every dealership within California to see if had my model. They did not. Used CarGurus to look nation wide, found some, none of them would deliver to California.

Called a car broker through Cartilligent and she very nice and helpful in basically telling me that the car was basically hard to find, so I’m not crazy. From what she told me, my model was too specific, price point was too low (dealers have no real reason to drop prices ATM) and the inventory for that specific model is very limited. But she told me to keep on looking because dealers literally get new inventory on a daily basis, they just sell out very quickly.

Feeling a bit better and that I wasn’t crazy, I looked around CarGurus again and found two models that weren’t there the day before. Called in and drove two hours each way to pick up the car. Apparently I also knew

I’m now the owner of a 2019 white Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium CPO. Car had 4K miles on it and I got it for 34k out the door. Car new would be 38k without the taxes and all that other poo poo.

What kind of modifications are you looking for?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

What kind of modifications are you looking for?

Don’t know if there are any available, but easy quality of life stuff. I found a snap on cover for the weird little dish thing on the dash, so stuff doesn’t fly off when you’re driving.

On my GTI was able to install a small little compartment on the left side near the headlight buttons.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

obi_ant posted:

Don’t know if there are any available, but easy quality of life stuff. I found a snap on cover for the weird little dish thing on the dash, so stuff doesn’t fly off when you’re driving.

On my GTI was able to install a small little compartment on the left side near the headlight buttons.

Install a JB4 piggyback tune instead of that boring stuff.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If anyone else still has a mk5 hatchback Golf or GTI, here's my sub enclosure. Close your eyes and imagine it's 2002!

I got it off ebay from the UK (to Canada) and had it shipped for under $150, found a sub that would work well with the volume of the enclosure, and some amp that matched the sub. It works great and I love it. Had it for a few years but took a photo for someone else and thought I'd share it here.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So my '18 GTI has been having issues on cold start - specifically loss of power, feels like no boost, EPC light comes on, eventually the CEL comes on but it's a VW specific code that I couldn't read with my generic scanner. Car has <65,000km on it.

Still under warranty, so I made an appointment and took it in, just got the call from the dealership - the wastegate in the turbo is seizing in the open position on cold starts, and freeing up once it warms up. They're putting in a brand new turbo under warranty, so that's cool I guess.

Makes me real nervous about keeping it past the warranty period though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Install a JB4 piggyback tune instead of that boring stuff.

I haven't done any research, but I was thinking about getting a Stage 1 sometime in the distant future. I read on VWVortex that a Tiguan tune isn't out yet but in the works...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Entertaining the idea of an e-Golf. As I start my research is there anything you guys would like to say about them?

Particularly a 2016 model with 40k (but any year is fine).

This would be purely a work commuter for me with a 20 mile round trip. The TDI SportWagen is our family travel vehicle (that also goes 45 miles round trip highway for commuting).

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
My 2016 VW Polo was 'broken into' last night. I use air quotes because nothing was missing but all 4 windows were down to the same height as if I'd used the window auto-down feature on the fob. The reason I think it was theft attempt and not accidental key press was that there is now a nice big scratch on the passenger door by the edge where it meets the back door and the seals at the top had been pulled back. So I assume someone went at it with a slim jim and this somehow activated the mechanism that brings all the windows down? Is that a likely series of events? Seems unusual to me.

Luckily I noticed before it started raining!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Entertaining the idea of an e-Golf. As I start my research is there anything you guys would like to say about them?

This would be purely a work commuter for me with a 20 mile round trip. The TDI SportWagen is our family travel vehicle (that also goes 45 miles round trip highway for commuting).

You will probably get a better result in the EV thread. I think the main limitation is range and it sounds like that won't be a problem for you.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, went to change the spark plugs on my 2015 GTI today... managed to destroy 3/4 of the spark plug boots, and the local auto parts store doesn't have them.

Looks like I'm without a car for a few days, luckily I'm working from home anyway!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

This is an odd recommendation, but Jason Camissa loves his, is on his second one and posts info about them regularly on his instagram.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

If anyone else still has a mk5 hatchback Golf or GTI, here's my sub enclosure. Close your eyes and imagine it's 2002!

I got it off ebay from the UK (to Canada) and had it shipped for under $150, found a sub that would work well with the volume of the enclosure, and some amp that matched the sub. It works great and I love it. Had it for a few years but took a photo for someone else and thought I'd share it here.

speaking of mk5 audio things, anyone got a good suggestion for a carplay-compatible headunit? mine is a base Rabbit so I don't have satellite controls, something with a real volume knob on it would be ace.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

This Sony is the only one I’ve seen with a volume knob: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html

Well, there is this Dual one with a volume knob, but I have no experience with the brand: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDCP97B/Dual-XDCP97BT.html

Neither of these play CDs.

Personally, I think I like Kenwood’s interface better than any other brand, although I’ve had good luck with Pioneer CarPlay decks as well. Once you’re in CarPlay it doesn’t really matter, but settings menus and whatnot seem easier to access on Kenwoods.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

minivanmegafun posted:

speaking of mk5 audio things, anyone got a good suggestion for a carplay-compatible headunit? mine is a base Rabbit so I don't have satellite controls, something with a real volume knob on it would be ace.

Search for RCD330 or RCD330G. A lot of results seem to be a little in the knock-off territory, but they're based on a foreign market VW radio that would work in MK5s, just make sure it lists the correct FM frequency range. You should be able to find threads about in on the vortex.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Coming from a GTI I'm used to using premium gas. But apparently my new car (2019 Tiguan) allows me to choose from regular (87 octane) or premium (91 octane). I assume that using the premium 'better' for the car's engine?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Probably slightly more hp but not "better" in any real sense

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It'll pull timing if you use 87 but won't adversely effect you other than maybe power and maybe a slight hit to fuel economy.

When 93 was running 35 cent premium over 87, I used 93, but now that i live in Michigan and 93 is like a 110 cent premium i don't bother.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Like any motor with a knock sensor you can run lower octane gas but it'll pull timing and you'll get worse mileage and performance. I'm never sure whether it's actually cheaper to run the lower octane gas but I'd guess not.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Related: Can my stock Mk7 R take advantage of 93? or should I just put in 91? Not all gas stations do 91, but the local does.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RTFM is always the best advice, but a cursory look indicates the 7.5s called for 92.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RTFM is always the best advice, but a cursory look indicates the 7.5s called for 92.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probably going to stick with the premium for piece of mind. I'm already used to getting lovely mileage cause of the GTI. It's basically the same mileage.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Yeah, the gas cap says 91, but i wasn't sure if 93 would be useful, also lots of stations don't have 91, just 89->93

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari
WTB 93 anywhere. Sometimes CA sucks :/

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah Ive never seen it at a pump lol - Ive heard theres some race gas station down by laguna seca but its not like Im all the way down there very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember stopping at a Sunoco north of Los Angeles that had 100 once. That was a really long time ago now though.