Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
You'll probably want to use lower gear in either fueled car as low RPMs and high load are hell of a load on the gearbox and clutch/tc. Gas cars usually use dinkier clutch / dual mass / other fuckery than (passanger) diesels which are designed for low torque.

I used to tow a lot with diesel passenger cars and I usually just drove in a gear that resulted revs near mid level. The MPG is going to be poo poo anyway so why not save the drivetrain. You'll end up with red hot turbo, but they're designed to transfer the heat as soon as the load lessens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Why not step down to A7? The 3.0"T" seems quite numerous in second hand market. If you can stomach the ugly exterior they do tick the "fast Audi saloon-ish" box.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
The reason there's so many diesels is because they were quite good when new, and as it turn out, the V6 BiTDI is quite reliable for the power house it is. Having said that, if you've found a good candidate and the only issue is a oil leak that they're going to fix, go for it.

A5 and A7 SB both have nothing in common styling wise with other Audis (well, maybe TT and R8) and have that weird squished and stretched out look. If you line up all the cars from same era, they do stand out, and not in a good way.