Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humdrum Hoodlum
Aug 12, 2006
I'm thinking of getting either a MKIV Jetta or GTI VR6. I know that the Jettas are notoriously spotty in terms of problems, but how are the GTIs? Most of the cars I've looked at all have fairly high kilometers. On an engine that has been maintained, what kind of life can you typically get out of it? For instance, one car I'm looking at is a 2000 Jetta VR6 with around 200,000km. I'm not sure if I should keep looking for one that has lower mileage or if it is alright if the maintenance has been done on a regular basis.

Additionally, as the VR6's use a timing chain, when do they need replacement? From what I've seen online, people only replace them when they start making noise typically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humdrum Hoodlum
Aug 12, 2006
I'm looking at a 2001 GTI VR6 with 175,000km for $3500. It seems to be in good condition, the only problem is that the check engine light is on. He also said it sometimes takes two attempts to start it, and that sometimes when he floors it it chugs a little. He told me that he took it to a mechanic and was told it was an electrical issue of some sort and it would cost anywhere from $800-$1000 to find and fix the issue. Is this a car worth seriously considering or should I avoid it?