Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just purchased a 91 Jetta GL with the 1.8l Fuel Injected.

Going to swap the engine out for a 1.6l TD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wav3form posted:

Have you ever worked on a VW? I can do most work on my GTI with basic tools. Sure there are some specialty tools/sockets that may be required but many cars require special tools depending on what you're doing.

I've done headgaskets and overhauls on 80's-92 VW Jetta, Rabbits, Foxes, and Scirroccos gas and diesel with basic metric tools and the occasional torx

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Anybody have some good prices on 1.6l NA Headgaskets with solid lifters? I'm getting prices between $25 and $35. I'd like to replace the head-bolts with something a little more sturdy as well, any recommendations? I was looking at ARPA racing studs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

vanilla slimfast posted:

Hope this is an appropriate place to post this.

I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro, about 110k miles on it.

I was on my way to run an errand this afternoon, and while trying to back out of my parking spot I noticed that the power steering was "catching" and making noise. It seems that the hydraulic line that runs underneath the front of the car must have caught on something at some point. It's hanging down from underneath the front bumper and leaking fluid.

Strangely enough, my wife drove it an hour before and didn't report any problems nor does she remember hitting any potholes or anything like that. Some pictures:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Two questions:

1) Does it look like this repair is going to be more than just replacing the hydraulic line and refilling the fluid?
2) What would you estimate the cost of this to be (in terms of parts and hours in labor)?

I'm going to call the repair shop first thing Monday but I want to go into it a bit more informed than I have for past repairs.

Thanks!

Ummm, that looks like a Transmission Oil Cooler line...is yours an automatic?

Anyways, if the power steering pump is burned from fluid loss and heat, then you'll have to have that replaced as well

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 13, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

vanilla slimfast posted:

Sorry should have clarified, it's a manual (5 speed)

Okay, well have them replace the line, then have them run up the car and make sure the power steering pump is running properly. If not you'll need a new one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JHVH-1 posted:

When you shut the car off and get out a fan starts whirring so I think it already has methods to cool itself.

The main worry is oil to the turbo, if the turbo does not have a resevoir or bath, then shutting off the car too quickly after having the turbo spooled can leave the turbo without oil to lubricate it as it spins down.

But it should only take about 15-20 seconds for the turbo to de-spool and enough oil to be present for engine shutdown

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

my1999gsr posted:

I believe that any of the turbo VW/Audi cars have an after run coolant pump to circulate coolant as well as the rad fans running after shut down. We've got one customer with a highly modded 2.7T that has an aftermarket turbo timer as well but generally a stock motor doesn't really need it.

Heck, my 1981 Rabbit, 1989 Jetta, and 1991 Jetta will run the fan after the car is shut off if the coolant is too warm. Mainly because the fan relay is triggered via the sensor on the radiator which is wired directly into the 12v battery line

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 20, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

From what I've read about the 1.8t and 2.0t they have some sort of evaporative cooling for the turbo so that you don't have to let it idle. My dad's 1.8t made it almost 250k miles and he never idled it before shutoff. I've been told that unless you are doing 4th gear pulls into your garage then shutting it off, there's nothing to worry about.

The thing to remember is that turbos are pretty drat common on cars these days, so they have to be built for the average moron to not destroy them.

You STILL need to let it idle for lubrication purposes, at LEAST for a little bit to let the turbo spin down and lubricate before shutting down. We JUST had to replace a turbo on a truck because people don't let it idle down before shutting down. That thing spins so fast that if you don't let the bearings lube up before shut down you will lose that turbo eventually.

Granted, turbos are much more moron proof than they used to be, none the less erring on the side of caution is better than having to replace a turbo that you did not have to replace

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

my1999gsr posted:

I've never replaced a turbo for anything related to coking or insufficient cooling. Excessive shaft end-play? Certainly. None of our turbo owners (diesel or gas) ever let their engines run at idle before shutting them down - for the most part because it never occurs to them and it's not mentioned in the owners manual. There's literally no reason to do it on a stock turbo'd VW/Audi anyway - they just don't require it.

My bad then, maybe I'm just too used to working with trucks :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

my1999gsr posted:

No bad at all! You're totally right about big turbo diesels. I'm a little more used to imports with big aftermarket turbo kits and they NEED timers and after-run setups to prevent damage too.

Yes, I am used to working on aftermarket turbos on old 1.5l and 1.6l VW NAs we turned into TDs. Also, the turbo on my 1972 Willys M35A2 is always spooled even at idle, so the biggest issue is you have to make sure to let it idle down before shutting it off

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a question actually:

I am preparing to replace the pistons in my VW Rabbit 1.6l Diesel, I have to remove the ridge that has built up on it and it needs oversize pistons. How do I tell which pistons I have currently (I suspect they are OEM) without remeasuring the current cylinder bore? There is something stamped upon the pistons, but I cannot find any references for the markings

I am planning on replacing the pistons with the turbo pistons as I have installed a turbocharger.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 22, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nermal. posted:

My Audi hates me and the feelings starting to become mutual.

2003 Audi A4 1.8t with around 80k.

I cannot, for the life of me, get these cooling problems to go away. I have already replaced the thermostat and a fan module, and 2 other components I don't even remember the names of. The warning keeps returning after a week or two, and my needle keeps running into the red. Does this godforsaken engine have any "famous" problems with the cooling system I need to know about as well? It seems like everything that happens to this car, from both window regulators breaking on the same day, to the strange phantom noise I hear when sitting in the car with the engine off (sounds sorta like a ghost is adjusting the electronic side mirrors. All loving day. Forever), everyone who owns a B6 is like "Haha yeah they're known for that."

This car is frighteningly close to getting driven into a wall intentionally.

Water pump?

Any bubbles in the cooling system while the engine is running?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

my1999gsr posted:

Yeah, waterpump - they're famous for making GBS threads the bed on the 1.8T. Pull the thermostat out and feel around in the cavity it sits in - I bet you'll find pieces of the water pump's impeller. The ghost noise you're hearing is most likely the HVAC system moving the blend doors after shut-down - it's a common enough complaint but not a problem usually.

They are fairly famous for making GBS threads the bed in most Audi/VW products, especially when they had that damned plastic impeller.

Makes me glad my TDI got upgraded to the metal impeller

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostrum posted:

That doesn't sound like a very good deal. I just bought a brand new 2011 Golf TDI with premium sound, bluetooth, cold weather (so missing sunroof + nav) for $23k.

Agreed. I thought the Golf was $23,000 loaded as the base price....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Billy Tully posted:

Do the timing belt for sure, they've been known to break as soon as 80k but it shouldn't cost $2000, more like half that.

Yes, timing belt is a MUST.

But like he said, should be way less than two grand....shop around at (reputable) shops first, look for maybe a shop that specialized in VW/Audis or Euro cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Quick question:

On the 1986 Audi 400 Quattro, at the master cylinder, there is something in the brake below it being fed from two ports on the master cylinder, and it then send brake pressure to the combined rear brakes.

What the hell is it, and how can I get a replacement?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Quick question:

On the 1986 Audi 400 Quattro, at the master cylinder, there is something in the brake below it being fed from two ports on the master cylinder, and it then send brake pressure to the combined rear brakes.

What the hell is it, and how can I get a replacement?

I found out what it was: Brake Pressure Proportioning Valuve

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

This week I installed a replacement auxiliary radiator fan on a 2.5L 2007 Jetta because Germans hate cooling systems, for some strange reason I'll never understand. :argh:

From what I've read, the auxiliary fan failure is pretty common and a well-known failure, but my wife brought up a good point - the larger fan had to work overtime to compensate for the smaller fan being dead for the last two months or more, so wouldn't that place more strain on the large fan and cause it to fail somewhere down the line, as well?

Has anyone with a similar Mk5 Jetta experienced issues with the bigger of the two radiator fans?

I don't know when they changed it, but on the Mk 3 the fans are actually driven by a single motor and a belt drives the other fan linked to the fan with the motor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://youtu.be/yc1z78N98ak

98 Mk. 3 Jetta with 2001 ALH TDI motor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Need some help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCUBihS3_o

Audi 4000 Quattro, clutch won't disengage properly and I changed the clutch and pressure plate to try to fix it, no change, and this mechanical clunking and clinking happens when I rev the motor. The two symptoms appeared simultaneously

I'm getting really frustrated, what should I do?

My current thought process is to replace the slave and proceed from there, I'm getting apprehensive and thinking about removing the head to check for damage. It idles fine though and does fairly well when revved, the sound come and goes, so its not consistent like a lifter or valve.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 7, 2013

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

They are much cheaper than the last Jetta. If she insists on going with one, look at the GLI, it has the proper rear suspension and the upgraded interior. Also has the 2.0t. Or the TDI. The base 2.5s are going to feel super cheap, as they are, considering they are 17k cars.

To be honest, the TDIs get a little better interior than the 2.5 and 1.8/1.8T. And after sitting in a recent Ford and Chevy, the interiors still feel much less 'plastic' than their American counterparts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Does anybody with VW/Audi contacts have a teardown for the Audi 3B 20v motor?

Specifically, I need some guides on the oil filter housing / oil cooler housing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Also, hold the loving phone. Is this going to actually happen? http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/18/volkswagen-golf-r-variant-official/ I'd love an actual R wagon, not R-line, but an actual awd 290hp wagon.

So....its basically the VW arm version of the Audi RS2?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbez posted:

I posted this in the stupid questions thread but maybe it's better here.

Anyone care to comment on an 2004 Audi A4 with 133,000 for 7k?

It seems like a beautiful car in good condition for the price but I'm nervous the cost of maintenance will be too high. I definitely cannot afford to spend 3k year on upkeep or whatever. He has had a few things done that should make it good to go for some time (air suspension done at 115400 miles, head gasket replaced at 94500 miles, timing belt with waterpump done at 98600 miles) but I don't want to buy a car Im going to need to work on constantly a year or two down the road.

Any advice?

Manual or Auto?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That would be my biggest worry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Anybody have guidance on how to replace the headlamp assembly on a 1990 Audi 90 Quattro?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I've never had this before on my way less expensive/new cars! I guess VW didn't want to take the styling hit that a pop-up wind deflector would have dealt them.

:shrug: Both my Audi 4k and my Audi 90 have a wind deflector in from of the sun roof when opened

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Dealing with a 20 year old VAG (heh) that isn't an air cooled just sounds like a huge pain in the rear end waiting to happen.

:colbert: I beg to differ.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Called the dealer to get a quote on the 40k server for my 11 TDI. They quoted 420(heh) which includes oil change, fuel filter, pollen filter, oil filter and the standard "inspection". Should I just change my oil and filter this time around and save a few bucks since I'm planning on trading the car in as soon as I can get my hands on a 16 R? How much of a pain is it to do an oil change on the TDI? First 3 services were included with the free maintenance. Or would I be able to leverage having all my service done at the dealership where I"m buying the new car when I go to trade in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CIbPPJN3Ic

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
On Audi 90/80/4000/etc. its on a rail under the car, easy to get to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I fill my TDI at the semi pumps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

Holy poo poo that's one of the most dirtbag moves any corporation much less auto company has pulled in recent years. loving VW.

Another company caused fires with faulty ignition switches that they knew about....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Diesels are pretty poo poo in small vehicles anyway - you only get very marginally better economy than a modern petrol engine.

They make a lot more sense in big executive cars and SUVs

:colbert: Blasphemer. 50 MPG is not 'marginally better'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I can regularly get 50-51 highway, but my TDI is a unicorn.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Rated extra urban
2l TDI 110 - 4l/100km (58.8 mpg)
1.4l TSI 103 - 4.4l/100km (53.5 mpg)

Or course neither will get that outside of ideal conditions, but the margin of difference between them is pretty close to real world

The TSI is a fairly new and expensive tech versus a common and proven TDI tech.

Yes, TSI can do it. With immense computerization and highly specialized tech. The TDI can do it mechanically.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

No, the TSIs are always cheaper than the equivalent diesel

I didn't say they were more expensive. I said they are more complex.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

movax posted:

If I had one of the affected models right now, I'd dump the ECU software / calibrations for affected systems such that you could revert any 'mandatory' recall flashes and such. Who cares if they re-flash it if you just flash it back :getin:

Maybe a couple of other modules in-case there's some version checking at work.

I'll tell you this much, this is going to make Malone Tuning happy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Withnail posted:

Do you have a source on this? I'm reading conflicting information.

I have a 2015 GSW...

You are in the clear, but the EPA is refusing to certify any NEW TDIs DEF or not until this is cleared.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

How though? A modern TDI isn't exactly simple either.

Actually, no, even CRDs are pretty simple. Because you are not having to deal with intense computer control to prevent the fuel from destroying your engine. Direct Injection gas motors are incredibly precise, even more so than diesels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

get one of the old v10 tdis, those things were so fun.

They are pretty hard to find.