Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

my1999gsr posted:

If you're interested in the larger displacement DI gas engines, then that's where carbon build-up is somewhat of an issue. Of the 3 RS4s that we have (with the 4.2 FSI V8) 2 of them have had to have their heads pulled and de-coked under warrantee for poor valve seating. Since those engines are a little more rare, I don't have as large a pool of info to take from but it must have been pretty discouraging for the owners of a $100,000+ GT sedan to have their car down for 3 days while we tore down the top of the engine.

Yep. The RS 4 forum over on quattroworld.com is jokingly referred to as the carbon buildup forum now. Dyno plots taken before and after cleanups seem to indicate a loss of ~10 hp per 10,000 miles due to carbon buildup. It's distressing, but I'd be more pissed if I owned an R8. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
60K on the timing belt to be safe. Might as well do the water pump (OEM has a plastic impeller that disintegrates; metal impeller replacements may lock up) and thermostat while you're in there. Coil packs can be spotty, and the instrument clusters can have issues. The AWD uses a Haldex unit, which needs periodic servicing. quattroworld.com has a decent TT forum; I'd check there for people selling and advice from the collective. I still love mine, FWIW. :)

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
You don't have the 1 of 99 special edition cars. The coupes were 2-toned, and there would be a "1 of 99" badge on the glovebox handle. If you car has heated seats, Homelink, or the CD changer, that's more evidence as the special edition cars lacked all of that. There are some monster turboed 3.2 TTs out there. A guy on quattroworld was selling his turbo 6MT coupe recently. I'm honestly not sure about the 2006 Mk.I vs. Mk.II issue, but an online Audi VIN decoder says the 10th digit is the car's model year; 5 indicates 2005 and 6 indicates 2006.

Edit: All 3.2 TTs carry S-line badges. What unique spoilers and ground effects are on your car?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

High_Life posted:

By the way Hatebreed, what's wrong with the wheels (Personal taste aside)? I after I bought it I tried to get some really sweet black rims with the winter tires, but apparently the front breaks were modified so it was a 3 week process to try and find some rims with enough clearance to allow the wheels to turn.

Some of the other things I don't need to upgrade came with the car. Previous owner put on the wheels (AT Italia Forged Aluminum rims), K40 Detector built into dash, Motorola Blue Tooth hands free thingamabob, and when I was changing the car into it's winter shoes I saw that it had neuspeed...I'm going to say rear anti-sway bar...I think. I was thinking of upgrading the grill (I've seen some A6/8 front ends on TT's that look pretty nice) and maybe just changing the tail lights.

Info on the brakes, please? :) My car has a Neuspeed rear swaybar, so they may make one for the 3.2 as well. To my eye, the 3.2 front bumper looks better than aftermarket single-frame grilles, and be very careful with the taillights you choose. You aren't going for the clear lens look, are you? :ohdear:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

huntx7 posted:

Ordered my 2011 Audi S5 Friday.. anyone else got one? Any suggestions or advice?

Should be here in at least three months. loving stoked

Awesome. Details on your car?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

PoopinClumpin posted:

Here's a dumb question. Where is the battery on my new car? It's a 2010 Audi S4.

There doesn't seem to be any exposed wiring or other evidence that the car even has one, with the exception that the car starts and runs fine.

The manual says the battery is meant to be serviced by Audi, but I'd still like to know where the hell it is.

Under the spare?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
My '03 Elantra is the same way with brake pads, for what it's worth.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ok heres another question for all the Audi goons...

How big of a poser am I for wanting to get a Q7? It meets all the requirements that I need, towing capacity greater than 3500lbs, decent MPG, and AWD. Any advice or opinions? Also how friendly is this car for wrenching? Any thing else I should be aware of?

I have been searching for the Touareg, but those seem to be hen's teeth in this part of the world.

I had a Q7 3.2 loaner once, and it was pleasantly surprising. It handled much firmer and flatter than I expected, and didn't feel at all like the behemoth it was. The panoramic sunroof was neat, too. I did find this in the pocket behind the passenger seat, though, and reinforces what it's usually used for:

Like I said, they are pretty monstrous, especially when compared with what I'm used to.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Is it a special badged Audi TT? I'm just wondering how to spot it via Craigslist ads.

225 hp TTs come with 2 exhaust tips and a 6-speed transmission only. 180 hp cars will have a 5-speed or tiptronic, depending on the year. They also came with only 1 exhaust tip, but aftermarket fake tips were sold. The engine bay also looks different from a 180 hp TT.

Here's a 225. Note the orientation of the intake manifold and the height of the oil cap.

Here's a 180 hp car.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Crazy685 posted:

I loved the 2008 RS4 I drove so who knows

The RS 4 gearbox is a pretty slick-shifting unit.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
quattroworld.com has a good TT and RS 4 forum, and some of the regional forums are busy. Dunno about the A3 specifically, though.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Wamsutta posted:

On an 18x8 wheel those 225's will be just fine. I run 235/40/18 on the same size wheel. Congrats on the S4, make sure you post pics.

My TT came with 225/40/18 tires on it's 18x8 B5 RS 4-style 9-spokes. 225 is fine for an 8-inch wheel.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Bovril Delight posted:

red is too boy racer.
Lies.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm in the market for an RS4...aside from the coking issues, is there anything I should be looking at when I check one out?

Things I know to look/ask for:

- was it decoked/valvetrain reseated, etc.
- last time brake pads/rotors were done ($1300 job apparently)
- Pushing the "s" button should open valves in the exhaust that can be seen with a flashlight, increase bolstering in the seats and change the sound of the valve, these things not happening could mean a vacuum leak...
- Audi has apparently had to increase the warranty on the suspension to 75k because of problems.

Any other red flags would be helpful. There's a bunch for sale in my area suddenly for very reasonable prices, I think either people are getting poor or the rich people are bored of their 4 year old cars...or they're broken. I'll likely have a mechanic go over it before I buy anyway, but I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm getting into before I get to that point.

If you're in the US, the seats don't do anything with the sport mode. Sport mode in the US increases the sensitivity of the throttle and opens the exhaust valves under a certain set of circumstances:

Audi has revised the DRC suspension, and the new type is supposedly more reliable. If the DRC is bad, the leaky shocks will often be obvious. It's a very fun car to drive, and is pretty practical for the performance you get. It's getting slower compared to newer cars, but it still has some get up and go. :) quattroworld.com has a pretty good RS 4 forum, for what it's worth.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Ah. I'm actually glad about that, it sounds like something that would break pretty quickly.

What do you mean by has revised? As in, it was a recall or as in new models don't have the same problems? I'm looking at an '08.

400bhp out of a fairly comfortable sedan is more than enough get up and go for me. :) And thanks for the forum link, I didn't find that one somehow.

The Euro seats are reportedly pretty uncomfortable for long trips. So even though the Euro seats look totally badass, I'm glad we got the S4 Recaros in the US RS 4. They're very nice to sit in.

There was a DRC recall, but my car hasn't had the stock suspension since before this occurred, so I'm not sure of the exact changes. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Das Volk posted:

Hah. That means the R8s get dentist syndrome and, like Porsches, have failures because they're owned by someone who's afraid to drive the thing. That means I have to either go new or buy one from someone who drives like I do. Do PPI's catch the carbon fouling, or is that something where I'd have to pay extra to get that checked?

Driving it hard doesn't help all that much, to be honest. My car doesn't see much city driving, and at the time these photos were taken it had 23 track days and several backroads driving events on it over 43K miles.