Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

ToG posted:

Goddamn I hate Polo engine bays

Click here for the full 449x600 image.

That plug there with the green band is the coolant temperature sensor, squeeze that shiny metal clip in and you can remove the lead without removing the entire sensor which should give you enough space to get that glow plug out. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you can, pull the gear stick boot up. On a couple of VW's I've worked on there's some lovely plastic bolts under there holding the console down.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

fps_bill posted:

I guess I should have been more specific in my previous post. I'm asking about the early new beetles.

I'm looking for a new work beater and found an 01 turbo beetle with 120k, 5 speed, and leather for 4 grand and was considering checking it out. My IRL goon buddy described the new beetle as the worst car ever, he put it on the same level as a yugo.

Motronic posted:

Average for the class, poor for the price, and with a lovely warranty no warranty to boot.

It's not looking any more attractive. Stay well the hell away, those things truly are turds.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Motronic posted:

Heated windshields are magical. I don't know who else you can get them from other than Land Rover but dammit they work great.

Ford offer it on some cars over in EU land, dunno about their US offerings. One would suspect Land Rover stole it from them, or vice-versa.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

Ok, hopefully a simple one for you guys - we need to swap the engine on my mate's 1.9 TDi 1999 A3, we've got another lump, but want to buy some bits for it. To make sure we're buying the right stuff, need the engine number, and I can't for the life of me see the drat thing! Where is it?

Is it the original engine? If you lift up the boot carpet there might be a sticker under there listing VIN, engine code etc. I assume if you have it you've taken a look inside the cover of the service record book, VW like to put stickers in there too. I've never touched a diesel lump so I can't really help you there, and on the petrol ones I've seen them stamp it anywhere between timing gears to a little machined flat above the bellhousing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Completely missed that, my bad. :downs: