Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So. My car is on the list for this. People are recoiling in fear from the effects of the recall, but no one seems to have said how much it'll actually affect performance - does anybody know that yet?

I mean, I'd like to be able to make my car burn cleaner, because it's more people than me who are affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

2. Install a urea injection system (which would mean another maintenance item to worry about, and possibly less trunk space)

When I go to fill up my 2015 TDI there's a separate "AdBlue" filler nozzle, and I honestly thought that was a urea injection system.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Related: http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/in_use_compliance_letter.htm

They increase dose under testing conditions but with time it dials it back and then it is no longer passing emissions.

Even their urea-equipped cars were cheating. gently caress you VW.

Would this affect anything besides urea refill intervals?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Okay, large SUVs and trucks emit worse. Do they emit 30 to 40 times worse?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its been fun VW. Survived World War 2 only to be destroyed by your own hubris.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall… and VW has been trying to get very big.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Leaf blowers always struck me as the most wasteful form of lawn care.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

spog posted:

Yes, but that part happens in countries with poor brown/yellow people who don't vote in US elections, so it isn't a problem.

…and Canada.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This is going to be the most expensive 300 euro savings ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

blugu64 posted:

A fate worse then death. Your TDI is 'cute'.

Eh, I can see someone saying that about the Beetle. The Golf, on the other hand - I drive that so I look like an Ingolstadt taxi driver, dammit!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Cruze diesel isn't cheap though. It's over $26k, uses more expensive fuel, and barely gets better economy.

Diesel is cheaper than gasoline where I am right now. Who knows if it'll stay that way.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I guess I'm bad for this but I have a hard time keeping track of which fast Audi is which these days. It was simpler when there only ever seemed to be one RS*-badged model on sale at a time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

A = regular
S-line = A models with body kit and different wheels
S = faster than A models
RS = faster than S models
plus = modifier to indicate it's faster than the regular models of that line (i.e. S8 plus, TTRS plus, R8 V10 plus)

This part I get. It's just that there's like a bunch of RS cars now and they all look kind of the same and have similar, but not identical powertrains and not all of them are sold in the USA.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Almost half of Golf sales are GTI/R, because why would anyone buy a regular Golf?

Good cargo space in a manageable footprint, interior is a decent place to be, good mileage (obtained at the price of terrible emissions, it now appears.)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This seems like an odd time to start claiming that they didn't install a defeat device.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Which still trips me out, because my R is convinced it can do 420(heh) miles per tank. I usually top off around 380 just because.

My TDI thinks it can go halfway to the moon when the tank is full, then when I'm on the last eighth of a tank it's all "RANGE 5 MILES BETTER GET MORE FUEL NOW!" I usually don't follow it to the letter because running completely dry in an earlier car has made me paranoid.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

What model? I know on my brother's Jeep its a smaller filler neck next to the main one for fuel.

Same story on my 2015 Golf.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Now I'm picturing a TDI driving off the end of a pier with a pile of cinderblocks in the trunk.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Getting my car serviced this morning the dealership had a black Golf R that apparently hadn't been spoken for, but who knows, maybe they moved it by the afternoon. :v:

Was a DSG rather than a manual, though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'd like my car to be emissions compliant. I mean, these laws are in place for a reason. If they buy it back and scrap it because they can't do that, well, it wasn't my fault that they cheated, and I'll shop elsewhere.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

That's just another reason not to drive an SUV. Southern California used to be terrible for air quality and still sort of is, so I don't want to be a part of the problem.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

April 21st is the official deadline for an EPA-VW Fix agreement.

What happens after that?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

That's the v10 though right? From what I gathered it's only an issue on the 2.0l.

I thought the Cayenne diesel was a 3.0 V6?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Can't we just be over four-door "coupes" yet? The Mercedes CLS first came out in like 2005, I feel like it's been long enough.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Any recommendations on good VW mechanics in the Southern California area? Currently driving a 2013 Golf R, and I'd like to have some options besides the dealership for servicing just in case - don't have the tools to do a whole lot myself.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Whaddup :smug:

(Not that I'll ever be able to afford one.)

You smug Euros with your proportional representation and station wagons and health care! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I just moved here, anyone have any recommendations for VW repair shops in the Sacramento area?