Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
So, unfortunately my car was totaled a few days ago. I looked around this thread but I didn't see anything: are there any big issues with the 2008-2011 A5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Crazy685 posted:

I've heard nothing but terrible things about the 2009+ A5 manual.

Yeah, I found some strong words about it

quote:

A5 six-speed manual transmission is, as TTAC reviewer Jack Baruth put it, “not Audi’s finest hour.” Less diplomatically, it’s crap. A ponderous clutch and a light throw create a major pistonhead buzz-kill. Just for [no] fun, there’s also a dead zone between the gears, which slot home with all the precision of three-year-old’s coloring. It’s virtually impossible to make a smooth one-two shift in the A5, no matter where you are in the rev range. You end up shifting at low rpms just to be done with it. Given the A5 cog swapper’s suckitude, the tiny percentage of Americans who can operate a stick shift, and the fact that Audi has access to the world’s best transmission, Ingolstadt should have fitted all A5s with DSG and called it good. The A5′s manual gearbox is the dynamic definition of not good.

edit:
ok, which one of you goons wrote this?

quote:

“I think carrying around a GIANT sword disqualifies Sephiroth as elegant”

Sephiroth just has this flawless, elegant approach to aggression. Even with the sword – which is long and graceful, unlike Cloud’s obtuse and club like weapon. An Audi should be like that – powerful and elegant. Not mawlike, obnoxious and ugly.

Anyway, straying off topic perhaps.

Oh and check this video gosh it is such an awesome anime if you’ve never seen it you are seriously out of touch
A-ko VS B-ko

Omerta fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 29, 2011

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Hey y'all, just had my first problem with my 2008 A4. The check engine light came on yesterday, so I took it by this mechanic that a friend recommended to me. They told me that my thermostat was broken and it'd be like $1000 to fix! I thought that sounded ridiculous, so I did some hunting online to confirm their diagnosis.

They're right as to the error code. When I pull the codes, I get two P2181 messages. My concern is that my car's temperature display seems to be acting normally. It gets up to the halfway mark without a problem (though it seems like it goes down to the 1/4 mark maybe a bit quicker than I remember but I could be imagining it), and the needle never passes the halfway point. Usually, it sits at or slightly below the 1/2 marker. Some other site said that you should check to see if the car produced hot air after a little bit of idling, and mine did that no problem.

The only anomalous thing is that my coolant is below the minimum mark on the tank. Could that or some excess air be the cause of the problem? I figured that I'd run my analysis by this thread before replacing the coolant and burping the cooling system.

In case it matters, the car has ~65k miles on the odometer, had the full "check everything" service around 50 or 55k miles, and I've never had any issues with the car prior to this one.