Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
We own 3 Audis and have had incessant technical problems with all of them. How reliable are the B5 A4's? Some guy in my area is offering up a manual B5 A4 3.0 quattro with all the options and whatever for 11k, with under 50k miles, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Is this thing really going to leach, say, $10k more than owning a Japanese econocar shitbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

The 3L is a decent motor so that's a plus. What year is the car?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Used VW Eos: good idea or bad idea?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

Well, that depends on what you plan to do with it. The roof system has been mostly problem-free since launch (besides the odd squeak - it's a cabrio after all) and it's very quick and smooth. There's not a lot of trunk space with the roof retracted though so your golf clubs will be in the back seat if you're travelling with the top down. There's a fairly large recall going on now for a certain range of the Eos that results in replacement of the transmission Mechatronic unit to fix a harsh 1-2 and 2-3 shift - the notices have recently been mailed out to owners. The engines (2.0T in Canada and both the 3.2 and 2.0T in the US) work well and have lots of get up and go with a stiff chassis. Like most VW cars, the Eos has a nice interior with very supportive seats and a decent-sized back seat for passengers. If you're looking for a retracting hard-top cabriolet and you don't care for the styling of the Mercedes then the Eos is worth a look. I much prefer the A3 with it's large sunroof but it's just not the same as a full convertible.
Do they break a lot? Are they expensive to repair?

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
We've had loads of problems with old Audis, but I found a really, really good deal on a 2000 A4 2.8 that's hard to pass up. Is this a good idea or am I a loving idiot asking to lose all my money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007

Kashwashwa posted:

I had a 99 A4 (though it was a 1.8T), and never had any problems with it with two exceptions. The front control arms need to be replaced every 60,000 miles (they creek and thump like crazy when they are shot), it's inevitable. And after moving a couple of loads of bricks (yes really), I wrecked the rear wheel bearings, but that was because I was young and stupid.
The 99 A4 2.8 sitting in my driveway, for which the repair costs over 4-5 years have easily exceeded what we paid for the car, beg to differ. The best part was when both catalytic converters failed and I was out like ~$2500 and 3 weeks without my car.