Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007
Mods, please close thread, OP fraternizes with the company that brought us the G60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007
Really, don't ever buy one. It is impossible to find parts for-

A) the sunroof, which WILL be broken
B) the G60 charger itself, which also WILL be broken and costs a lot to fix
C) 3.5mm vacuum hose is expensive, and it requires a lot of it
D) everything else will be broken (spoiler doesn't work? $800!!! at least mine works there...)

Also, I'm about 5'8" and this car is built for midgets or something, even for me it's kind of a squeeze to get inside it. I'm selling this thing and buying a BMW or RX-7.

Do you happen to have the rebuild guide for the charger handy and available to post? I'd love you forever.

edit: Also, why doesn't VW put the VR6 in every car they make? It is the best sounding engine ever.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007
I've never found the Mk4s to be that bad, really. My Jetta VR6 has 170,000k miles on it and it still drives like new. All the windows still work, too, and there's no check engine light. You do have to watch out for door modules, as they break and you're effectively required to lock/unlock the car remotely, rather than with the key.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Sepist posted:

'00 Passat VR6. I was driving about a half mile from my house, the car hadn't even warmed up yet and the temperature light went on. I pulled over, restarted the car, light was off. about 100 feet later the light comes on again, the car is halfway between cold and operating temperature, I decide to drive it home and take the gf's car. The light goes off by itself and stays off on the way home and doesn't go above normal operation temp.

Should I be concerned? I'm thinking thermostat was stuck closed but I've never seen this before.

You've gotta be leaking water.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

Rhusitaurion posted:

stuff about noise

How about the strut mounts?

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

wav3form posted:

Do you have any advice on changing a water pump in a Mark IV VR6? I noticed a small coolant leak and it's coming from the pump area so it's time to change it out. It could be the crack pipe as well but I won't know until I tear into it. Car is an '01 GTI with 87k miles. I'm going to change out the belt tensioner as well.

If you have anything that will save me time or aggravation, I'm all ears/eyes. Thanks!

(edit: oddly enough it's not leaking anymore and I have no clue what I did. I'm still changing it out this weekend though)

Do you have a Bentley? If so, ignore it. The Bentley says something absurd like "take off the serpentine belt, remove the water pump bolts, remove water pump, reinstall water pump." It's like 2 steps. You're going to have to either drop the engine or raise the engine up. Best way is to remove the dogbone mount and the passenger side motor mount and then raise the engine up with a jack. May God have mercy on your soul, because this is a ridiculously hard job for something that is easy on any other car.

I wouldn't change the water pump unless you were ABSOLUTELY SURE it was leaking. The crackpipe and water pump are really in two different areas, and as irritating as the crackpipe is to replace, it's a million times better than the pump.

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Either this evening or tomorrow i'll be inspecting a used 2004 Jetta GL, not sure which variant, 64k miles. Carfax is clean, etc etc. Is there anything in particular I should look for besides the usual with these models?

GL is only the 4cyl non-turbo 2.0, right?

More commonly known as the 2.slow...but it really is a great engine. A little rough and mechanical-sounding, but for sure it's a great engine. Just change the timing belt and oil.

Electronics are a little wonky, but honestly, I have a 99 of the same generation as that one and I haven't had anything that's more than a minor inconvenience (3 of my door modules are out- I have to lock/unlock with the keyless entry).

GOONS I HAVE A QUESTION AS WELL

I have been looking for a 2004-05 Passat, specifically a manual V6 4motion one. Is this a decent engine? Can you tell me any more about the trouble spots on these cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007

wav3form posted:

I just successfully changed the water pump in my '01 GTI (VR6). No leaks and everything still works. Scariest part was jacking the engine up but so far so good.

The VR6 water pump can GO TO HELL. Seriously, get a Bentley and read the instructions. I'm guessing you would get a kick of the, what, 4 lines of instructions they give you. It seriously makes zero mention of detaching the loving engine from the car.