Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

empty baggie posted:

Ok, I'm in Paris right now, and I keep seeing Golfs and Polos, and I have to ask, what exactly is the main difference that VW uses to justify selling two compact hatchbacks in the same market? I'm sure there's a real difference, but aside from a few cosmetic things, visually I can't tell.

The Polo is a step smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My friend is looking for a quattro A4 in the 4-6k range. This puts him in the very early 2000s. I told him to avoid the 1.8Ts because of sludging. Is that correct? Are there other things to be concerned about?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think it's the best thing either, but I don't think I can stop him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

primitive posted:

ok so

if it's a quattro A4 in the USA it'll be an automatic transmission, which are terrible in that era. the quattro unit itself is a wear item. expect the typical mk4 niggles (window regulators / coolant migration / etc etc etc)

Is it really true that the US didn't get manual quattro A4s for that generation? Here's a pricey 1.8T with AWD and manual:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/1738314503.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My colleague told me that the MKVIs in NA have more flashing protection, and require modifying the ECU before they can be flashed through the ODB port. Is that true?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is the TSI motor again, compared to the FSI? I saw a Tiguan this morning and was wondering how many people were chipping that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SwashedBuckles posted:

Thanks for the help. And I've been thinking of putting the supercharged badges on since before I got the car; there's no turbo so why is there a V6T badge :argh:

Audi customers can't be arsed to know about their cars, I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

TBH I think VWs get a bad rap. The thing to remember is that most people who buy a VW buy it because they want something sporty and are somewhat of an enthusiast. With that mentality comes a bit of the mindset that the car should be perfect. Every car has flaws, but when you take your average Camry driver, they treat the car as an appliance, so they don't tend to care if it has an issue here or there. VW people tend to be more of a vocal minority. But if possible, buy one built on a Wednesday :)

I agree that people yell loud about the DSG issue, but you don't see any Camry needing its tranny serviced or replaced prematurely. Even my1999gsr has noted how big of an issue it's become for VAG.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

I saw it on VW's website over the summer and immediately became very interested in it. My girlfriend has an 09 Jetta SLE that I drive quite frequently and I really enjoy her car, minus the 2.5 powerplant (which isn't bad, but I'm used to my supercharged Acura...) The prospect of a Jetta plus a nicer suspension and some more power is very appealing.

I thought you were gonna keep the SC'ed TSX forever?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

I suppose you could say that but I really don't care for any of the VAG brands and I really don't want to promote them or improve their image. Since I have access to some information that most VW owners don't and I'm VW & Audi trained and certified, I started this thread to help the average owner navigate through the vast amount of incorrect information that seems to surround VAG vehicles.

I get exactly where you're coming from. Thanks again for taking on some stewardship of this bit of the VW customer base.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Autism Sundae posted:

I just read a bit about unequal length double wishbone suspensions but can you explain why that design would lead to FWD cars torque steering to one side specifically?

The unequal lengths involved aren't with the suspension arms, but with the shaft driving the left wheel and the shaft driving the right wheel. Because these axles aren't infinitely rigid, some torque can be used up by twisting the slightly longer shaft (well, more so than the other side). So more torque reaches the ground on the short side and pushes into your steering rack, and back up to your wheel. Apparently, according to Wikipedia, a large differential in driveshaft to wheel hub angles between left and right wheels will also cause torque steer. Something about CV joints and how much torque is lost at higher angles, I guess. In this second case, bumps in the road can probably trigger torque steer to either side.

To answer your question, unequal length double wishbone suspensions are bilaterally symmetric, and aren't in and of themselves responsible for torque steer. In fact, the way they provide contact patch at suspension deflection probably helps with torque steer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Autism Sundae posted:

Thanks kimbo, but if they're symmetric there really shouldn't be torque steer to one side specifically?

To get completely tedious, I think I should clarify that the suspension (control arms, steering knuckles, etc. -- those are symmetric. But the axles that take power from the transmission and send it to each wheel -- those are not the same length on the driver and passenger sides. The reason is that FWD transmissions are usually not packaged with the differential in the middle of the car. So one axle ends up being longer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are Mk4 R32s worth it? I used to have a Mk4 GTI a while back, and I loved it. Since then, my tolerance for subpar interiors has gone up but my demand for nice handling has gone up. I love the way R32s look and sound, and the interior is strictly better than GTIs' where they differ. But I have reservations about:
- gremlins. I heard Climatronic is to be avoided?
- AWD. It's the old Audi TT's Haldex system. I haven't heard of reliability issues, but is it any good?
- service cost. The motor is a bit different; the suspension I read is also the TT's -- do labor costs get high for the stuff that differs from other Mk4s?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

schindler.xls posted:

Please please please please don't do this. As a pretty big "dubber" even I'd shy away from a MK4 R32 unless it was very well taken care of. There is no difference in haldex revision between MK4/MK5, and both are upgradeable to haldex 2.0 as far as I'm aware.

So the 'not taken care of' would affect the AWD system? Is upgrading (is it just firmware?) to 2.0 a good or bad thing for reliability, or irrelevant?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

schindler.xls posted:

e: If you're honestly considering an older R32, just get an Evolution 9 SE.

For me, the R32 joins the sound of a VR6 and the looks of a 337 or 20th AE. Too bad the AWD is such a dog. I like Evos except their looks. But the price differential between an Evo 8/9 that is in good shape (harder to find than an R32, imo) and an R32 is pretty high.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

schindler.xls posted:

Owning my current VW, and past VAG engineering has only been a bad decision leading into another. Please do the sensible thing and get the rice rocket with real AWD.

I guess it was good that I got out when I did. My '03 GTI had a few electrical gremlins that were actually covered under the pretty square extended warranty, and it also had all sorts of rattles. I still miss it though :allears:

veedubfreak posted:

Nothing.

Come on, go into some detail here. My only contact with Mk4 R32 handling was at a few autocrosses, where they seemed to be slower and understeerier than Mk4 GTIs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:gonk: just saw a McDonald's ad where a bear flips and trashes a nice-looking Corrado for the fries inside. :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sointenly posted:

I'm in the market for a "newish" ride and the 04 GTI's have really caught my eye. I am not a hard driver, but I do tend to put a poo poo load of miles on my vehicles. I don't really know much about VW's but of course "ive heard good things". Now my 98 civic has 240k miles on it with very little that has ever gone wrong with it, can I expect that type of longevity out of a GTI as well? I know 240k is a poo poo load of miles and probably some sort of freaky anomaly, but I just want to make sure i'm not getting into something with a short life expectancy.

In the context of your other thread looking for a replacement commuter car, a Mk4 GTI is not what you want. It'll be great when it's working right, but you'll hate it if it fall off the wagon (of being reliable).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Drooling over this spares package:
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/02/03/bat-exclusive-1985-vw-gti-imsa-race-project/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I just bought a 2003 GTI and you guys are scaring the poo poo out of me.

Good.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

Bah! Compared to the A5/Mk5 GTI you're in the clear.

Really? I thought the Mk5s were on the up and up reliability wise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ignorant slut posted:

just picked up a 2004 V6 Touareg with 32k miles - thoughts on reliability? Any issues I may run into down the road?

Is this one a TDI like you were looking for?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

my1999gsr posted:

To update the issue of oil consumption in 2.0t cars: its a problem throughout the whole engine family - the BPY, CCTA and BET all consume oil at a rate that I wouldn't stand for if I owned one. Nearly every day we have a car in the shop or a customer on the phone complaining about it. The last oil consumption test I did was on a new (2011) A4. The result? Re-ring, new pcv, new main seal and a software reflash.

What percentage of oil consumption cases get followed up with warranty work? How much is it costing VW to support these cars?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aflicted posted:

Also, do you mark the drain bolt when you do this test? Not that I am thinking of defrauding the system, but it seems like an easy thing to remove a little oil along the way and then give it back to them.

If you really wanted to, you could siphon it through the dipstick tube with medical tubing or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rubies posted:

The clutch died on my '97 Jetta (Trek edition) and I got a loan for a new VW so I need to get rid of the old one. If I put it on craigslist as a parts/repair car how much should I ask for? Everything else about it is fine but I don't want to pay $200 to fix it then have something else go that I don't have the skills to fix.

If anyone of you near Dorchester, MA wants to give me a few bills for it I'd be down. If not I want to get as much as I can from CL.

RIP Volkswagen. I'll miss you, little buddy :(
How bad is the clutch? Like won't pull you away from a stop bad, or just slipping with heavy acceleration?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Depending on the mileage and condition of the rest of the car, junking it might be your easiest solution. You have an (to the buyer) unknown clutch problem that makes the car unusable until fixed -- the most you could ask is several hundred, I think.

So I think listing it as a clean (if it is) parts car at 500 is reasonable. People might ask for the seats alone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

If there are ANY good parts on it that is UNREASONABLY LOW. $400-500 is what you should be expecting from a scrap yard that will be coming to you to pick it up.

People who are interested in a parts car like that are going to want a lot more information about things than the average person, and are fewer and further inbetween. So it could take some time to juice $2-400 more out of it. Up to you if that's worth the effort.

Unfortunately, in Boston, a wrecker will pay $300 for a _running_ car. It doesn't hurt to call around, but that's what I've seen.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Viggen posted:

What are those flimsy push buttons for by the shifter?

After too much Googling, they are Power and Snow modes for the shifting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What is the proportion of Mk5s and Mk6s with DSGs? My gut is that it's been maybe 60/40 in favor of the DSG? Would buying a DSG possibly affect post-warranty resale value down the road?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Any reason to go MK6 over MK5?

It looks way radder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Sorry, should have been clearer. The 2009 has no LSD, the 2010 has an electronic one that uses the individual brakes. It's not mechanical.

Is the change in looks not a big deal for you? Or am I wrong? I thought in the US, the 2009 GTI was still the Mk5:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2009-volkswagen-gti

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Just curious if there are any major engine/suspension/reliability changes between the 2 generations, and whether it's worth the extra 3 grand or so.
I'm having a hard time finding much discussion on that (minus searching on VWVortex). Autoblog says the suspension changes + eLSD are noticeable and make the mk6 better, but obviously hard to say whether that's worth 3k to you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRPU_mfhYGA

This is what I was talking about earlier in the thread. I can't believe they might actually be making this. I LOVED group B.

Lol, that voiceover can't be real, right? The ridiculous numerical precision is almost satirizing Germans.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I asked in the 2.0 FSI thread:
The Mk6 GTI's US manual says you can turn off the "ATA [anti-theft alarm] confirm" horn beep when you lock the doors, from the Convenience submenu in the MFD.
But, as the car is, it doesn't show that option in there. Is this one of the cases where the factory has simplified which settings are displayed via a software config? Can the dealer be made to put it back in?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would they publish it in the US manual one way and ship the cars another?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jeff8472 posted:

2010 was the last year it was an option without enabling it with vagcom.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but can't remember the answer -- your average dealer can't/won't program it out for you, either, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2 questions about a 2013 GTI.
- Anyone know of issues/TSBs for the GPS freezing? Both times, it was a while after starting up from filling up in the middle of a very long drive. Shutting the car off didn't immediately fix the GPS, but it did recover the next day.
- does pressing the voice control button twice turn it back off? Or is the only way to make the listening prompt go away to say "Cancel" ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you are concerned about the long term health of your motor, read up on carbon build up from having direct injection. This seems to be an issue for Audi DI motors. Talk to your dealer about it when you pick it up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gf's '12 GTI picked up a scraping noise after a tire rotation. It seemed like it was coming from the rear, like a bent brake dust shield.
Taking it into the dealer for it, she was told that it was a "TSB that we can't show you because it's not in the VW US system yet." The supposed TSB was that the CV boots have a flaw where there's an audible rub. I don't buy it cuz 1) it sounds from the rear and 2) it seems to sound more grindy under braking, which doesn't seem plausible if it's the CV boots.

Anyone able to search for TSBs? If nothing comes up, I think she should try to get the dealer to keep looking or have the CV axles replaced, only to have the same sound.
Here's the service write up:
http://i.imgur.com/Al3bAOq.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Double check that there's nothing between the shield and the brake rotor. I somehow managed to kick a rock up between mine a few months back and it scared the poo poo out of me. Roll around in reverse a bit and see if that clears it.

I'll get a vin tomorrow. I wouldn't think the tech was so dull that he wouldn't have looked at the shields for a bend or some foreign matter wedged in there, but who knows.