Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

empty baggie posted:

Thank you. I kinda noticed that today while walking around, though I do prefer the headlights on the Polo.
They built the Polo to go in below the Golf as a supermini, but then they started making the Golf fatter, and the Polo became a bit of a lardarse as well, so then they built the Lupo to go in below the Polo. It's about the same size as the old Polo, which is about the same size as the old Golf.

Effectively, they could have just kept everything the same size, and simply built a car larger than the Golf, and everyone would have been happy. But then you've got the Golf Plus, which is a Golf that's bigger than a Golf, which as I've just said is, itself, bigger than a Golf, and oh no I've gone cross-eyed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mastermind2004 posted:

I have a 2010 Golf TDI, and I need to mount a front license plate on it. Am I best off just going in and having the dealership drill the front bumper?

I've seen forums where people build out a mounting bracket using bolts, spacers, washers, and a few other things that doesn't seem to complicated, but it doesn't look exactly easy to get access in behind the grill (either top or bottom, although preferably bottom) on my Golf. Is it actually relatively easy to get in there with enough room to put the washers and bolts in to secure it to the grill?
If you can, I'd say go for a hidden mount of some kind, or really strong sticky pads. The idea of drilling unnecessary holes in a new bumper is a bit too :gonk: for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm going to go with a friend to look at a 1999 A4 Avant Quattro with the 2.5 Tdi V6 tomorrow.

Anything I particularly need to check on? Known trouble spots?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I'm going to go with a friend to look at a 1999 A4 Avant Quattro with the 2.5 Tdi V6 tomorrow.

Anything I particularly need to check on? Known trouble spots?
Car was sold out from under him, so not happening today, but it's definitely a 2.5 Tdi A4 of the late B5 generation he's looking for, so any advice is still welcome.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 10, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

I did reply to your previous post.

Why does he specifically want a 2.5 over a 1.9? Power/torque?
Yep, thanks for that.

Indeed, he wants some poke, but needs good fuel economy for a long commute. He's had a 1.9 previously and liked it, and views the 2.5 as a good step up for out-the-box performance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Yep, thanks for that.

Indeed, he wants some poke, but needs good fuel economy for a long commute. He's had a 1.9 previously and liked it, and views the 2.5 as a good step up for out-the-box performance.
Aaaand he's just bought a 1.9Tdi A3 anyway. To be fair, it was up for a low price, and it'll give him the fuel savings he needs now so he's got some breathing room to find a really nice A4. Looks like we're going to pick it up later this week.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe it's a 110bhp one. 1999, with the EGR stuff removed. Guess I'll find out when I see it.

Thanks for the other info. I don't know exactly what his plans are, but will pass it along.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Doing some work on my friend's A3 (1999 1.9 TDi), and the rear calipers had to come off - bled the system afterwards, seemed fine, but the pedal drops like a stone if the engine's running. I'm suspecting we got air into the ABS block maybe, though we made a point of clamping off hoses when undoing them, and it didn't seem to need much fluid when bled through engine-off.

Some googling shows it's possible we need to run an ABS bleeding cycle using VAG-com, which he has, or would simply doing a normal bleed only with the engine running (and thus the ABS on) achieve the same end?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Can you not find an appropriately-sized VW emblem on a cheap keyring or whatever in a car parts store and just glue that on?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, hopefully a simple one for you guys - we need to swap the engine on my mate's 1.9 TDi 1999 A3, we've got another lump, but want to buy some bits for it. To make sure we're buying the right stuff, need the engine number, and I can't for the life of me see the drat thing! Where is it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

There should be a sticker at the top of the timing belt cover. The second line contains the three letter engine code. Assuming the cover and sticker are still there...
Sticker's long gone, and the cambelt cover is so laughably easy to swap, I wouldn't trust it. I was hoping for a stamped/cast number on the block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, this is the engine to swap into it we're talking about.

It doesn't really matter, we'll get it done either way.