Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModernDayDiogenes
Jul 3, 2007
"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin

Nait Sirhc posted:

Why are the oil pans on 2001.5+ V6 Passats such piles of poo poo? My girlfriend and her sister each have one of these cars, and both of them have dented/scratched oil pans (to the point where they start leaking). (GF is on pan #3, sister on pan #2) They aren't driving like poo poo either, I've been in the car once when she's cracked a pan and it was barely a scrape, going 10mph over a speedbump.

They're only $55 from FCPGroton but it's annoying to have to keep replacing these. There is no OEM skidplate, is there some kind of solution to this?

http://www.evolutionimport.com/Thor_Skid_Plate_For_B5_B5_5_Passat_p/a-00003-005.htm

I put one of these on my 2000 V6 a couple of years ago. It's solid and bolts directly into the frame and is a hell of a lot beefier than the crappy plastic splash guard that comes with the car.

That being said, thank you all for this thread. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and I didn't get any response, so I'll try a different tack - where can I pick up a camshaft adjuster solenoid for my car? Apparently one in mine is going bad, causing my CEL to trip on every couple weeks or so. Unfortunately, the only way I could get one through the dealer is to order the entire camshaft adjuster assembly, and I don't want to pay 700 dollars for a 30 dollar solenoid. Is it time to hit my local junkyards?

edit: To tack on something else: what kind of fitting is used to open up the drain plug on the Passat's transaxle? I'm trying to change my transaxle fluid while I'm changing my CV axles, and the drain plug is a new one for me. It looks like a big triple square fitting with some kind of tamperproof peg in the middle of the hole. my1999gsr, is this a specialty fitting that I would have to pick up at a dealer? Would they even sell it to me?

ModernDayDiogenes fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU