Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it too early to talk about what reliability of the Golf Sportwagens is? 1.8 has been around forever right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I've been pondering a first gen S5 (with the 4.2 V8). The common issues I found are carbon build up, fluid motor mounts (that can be replaced with solid ones) and some quicker than normal front suspension wear. Anyone have experience with this engine or this car?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone have a V8 S5 in the thread?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Kinda feel like this too. If your budget is that high the cost of fuel is relatively tiny.

A 2013 is probably what 20k used?

I think the A7 is the way to go personally, but I'm kinda meh on high horsepower dailies.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Any A7 (or hotter) owners here? Seems like in the US you can get a sedan with a hatch or suv, but not the thing in the middle which is a wagon. I really dif the a7 for some reason.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They can't seem to put the engine in the right place either on the 911.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FancyMike posted:

I'm currently looking for a used wagon and seeing lots of VWs around. Are there any particular reasons to avoid the Jettas with the 2.5l five cylinder?

That's the wagon I'd get because of the better reliability of the 2.5, it's been around forever.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yall are looking at it all wrong. Instead of buying an AWD car, move to a place that's not a frozen wasteland and drive summers year round.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

blk posted:

Don't have a garage or spot to do my own work these days. Would a 1st gen A7/S7 be a nightmare to own out of warranty?

The 1st gen A7 really tickles me. The proportions are just so and while a long car, it looked rather normal sized even when I drove by in my Fit. The hatch seals the deal. I'd also like to know about reliability of these if anyone has experience. I assume the twin turbo 8 has more potential for issues than the supercharged 6.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nermal. posted:

Engine mounts on the 3.0T. It wasn’t fixed until the mid cycle refresh in 2016. It’s not IF they need to be replaced, it’s when. I have a relative who owned 4 various A6s-A7s and every C7 got the shakes and needed mount replacements. The C7.5 didn’t budge. It only happens on the A6/A7 for some dumb reason, the S4 / S5 / SQ5 / A8 3.0Ts mounts are fine. Everything else is reliable and pretty easy.

The 4.0T has some sort of “common enough where hordes of people are crying for a class action lawsuit” problem with something getting blocked and destroying BOTH turbos, which is an eleventy thousand dollar repair out of warranty. It’s like a five second Google and you’ll run into dozens of posts from grumpy twin turbo replacers. Coworker blew them on his A8 Sport, he was FURIOUS. I think there’s a way to replace something and get in front of it.

Thanks. Yeah I haven't even googled about the S7 because lol owning that engine out of warranty.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

lavaca posted:

Hey VW goons, I'm looking for the opinion of someone who owns an Alltrack (or a Golf or SportWagen or whatever) and also rides bikes. I was interested in getting a tray-style bike rack but the manual says that the car will explode or something if I even think of installing a hitch. Does anyone have a solution they like that isn't a trunk rack?

They probably don't want you hauling a boat with it, bicycle racks are fine. But looks like there are plenty of options:

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Volkswagen/Golf+SportWagen/hitch

Uhaul usually installs these for a hefty fee, but it's possible to do it yourself depending on how much space and equipment you have.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone have experience with Audi a7? I think I’d want a post refresh gen 1 (so 2015 onwards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Theophany posted:

I have the C7.5 S7 and it's delightful. Great level of toys and you can unlock Android Auto/Apple CarPlay with a cheap SD card off eBay.

Anything out of the ordinary maintenance wise that you’ve encountered?