Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Anyone got any experience with the 70's Sciroccos? Are they fun cars to drive/own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

aventari posted:

I have an 87 16v Scirocco, an 81 Scirocco (for 15 years), and used to have an 83 Rabbit GTI. The 70's Sciroccos are fundamentally the same.

They are super fun, really cheap and simple and fun to work on. All of the fellow owners you meet are really cool too, none of the pretentious d-bags you can get with other "nicer" cars.
What do you want to know, are you looking at a specific one?

Thanks for the answer!

I don't have a specific one in mind, except for the "Mark 1", i.e with round headlights and all. But I'm kinda at a loss when it comes to what I should pay, what to look out for (both good and bad stuff) and so on.

I found a 1977 Scirocco GT with a 76HP engine. Looks to be in very good condition.

It's up for $1600 (and then I need to pay for shipping, since it's taken off the road and hasn't been MOTed for a couple of years. Shipping is about $350.).

The engine seems a bit weak though. 76 BHP. Hmm..

Edit: gently caress forgot miles. It's done about 137000 miles. Also it's kept in a heated garage.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 17, 2010

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

aventari posted:

I dont know about euro versions, but check vwvortex for rough pricing: http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?833-Scirocco-Cars

There may be some euro ppl selling cars there. If that 77 is rust free, then $1600 sounds like a good deal to me. It does look clean from the pics

Thanks. I've been poking around some more and drat Mk1's are hard to find. Which makes me suspicious. As much as I'm interested in a Scirocco MK1 and like the looks of it, this kinda make me a bit :tinfoil:. Not that I'm planning to buy and resell. But it'd be nice to that it'd be able to sell for a decent buck in the future.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Fixit posted:

Last mkIII I looked at was nice but needed a paint job badly so I offered 2,800 and he replied another guy offered 3,600 and I said that was out of my price range and that was that. Did he rip the other person off?

It could also be a cheap trick to get you into offering more money. Watch out.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I finally got around to visiting the Classic auto dealer near my parents home, that I've been driving past the last 10 years. They had two Karmann Ghias in very good shape, I particularly loved the dark grey one and in an instant my old love for them was rekindled.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How much of the "Never Baja a Super Beetle" mantra that is repeated on the different bug forums is true if you'd just use it as a street Baja? I'm tempted by bad decisions.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm planning on buying an '18 VW GTI sometime next year, and I'm debating getting the summer tire option for it. Does anyone know what summer tire the GTIs come with (like for any MK7)? Are they good tires or not? I've driven all-season tires my whole life, but I wanna go to a 2 tire set lifestyle, so I'm wondering if the second set I buy should be good winter tires or if I should get good summer tires and keep the all seasons for winter.

I live in Illinois where it does actually snow on a regular basis, so a good set of winter tires would be beneficial, but if the summer tires VW gives you are crummy, the all seasons should be good enough.

I bet you it's probably cheaper and better to source your own rims and summer tires (which you should do IMO). That way you won't get whatever stuff VW has made a deal with. Probably not going to be bad tires, but not the best ones neither.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mr. Apollo posted:

Just wait until they find out the license plate has the number 4 in it.

It has Quattro 4WD right? Oh dear.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some more tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE4oeLHHb_U

Have you tried compound and compounding it out? The pad'll get ruined, but will get it off.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Styles Bitchley posted:

Hope you guys get some relief.

I guess I'm in the minority these days but I absolutely hate sunroofs and all things being equal prefer not to have them. Just something else to rattle, leak, transmit wind noise, increase weight, or just break. The bigger they are the worse it is.

The only real use I've found for the sun roof on the one car that I sometimes drive that has it (my own car don't have one) is when sitting and waiting in the car with the engine off and it's hot in the car. The air trickles down nicely compared to cracking open the windows. It's nice to have some extra light, but not in the summer when the sun is overpowering.

I don't even want to think about the cost of replacing those huge moon roofs in Teslas etc. It wouldn't surprise me if a car could get totaled after a couple of years if one of those cracks.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Well it's an Audi, so very probably less than average reliability. The A3, on which the S3 is based has a reliability index of 139, where 100 is average. This is according to reliabilityindex.co.uk.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

Terrible car poo poo: My fiance's 2016 TTS took a direct rock strike to the windshield from a landscaping truck on the freeway. The rock looked like it somewhere between a golf ball and a baseball. Fortunately it looks like after striking the glass, it bounced over the rest of the car and didn't damage anything else.

Should we even bother trying to use the dealership to replace it? I feel like I have heard things in the past about OEM glass being better over whatever Safelite installs, but I have no idea if that's true. Will Safelite be competent enough to safely reinstall the rain sensor and mirror assembly?

However, I'm also reading online that some (all?) dealerships wouldn't file claims through insurance for things like windshields.

Any advice for what we should do?

Did you go after the truck owner or didn't manage to catch the license? People who don't secure their loads are the worst.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

As best I could tell, the truck just happened to kick up a rock that was already on the freeway, and we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The trailer was empty, but it was the sort that you might see a bunch of ride-behind lawn mowers loaded onto, and that sort of equipment. I didn't see any sign of gravel or rocks on it, but seeing a big rock flying at your face followed by a loud crack really gets your adrenaline pumping, so who knows.

Ah ok. That sucks. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I just test drove a C5 wagon 2.7T A6 and man I really loved it. On paper it's really a great car for us on paper. Shame that the car I test drove turned out to have no service history since 2008, worn interior, CV knocking, crack in the windscreen and a semi-borked nav unit... oh and seemed very oily underneath. With a heavy heart I walked away only to find that the only other C5 wagon for sale is an S6 4.2L. The fuel economy on those though, oof when gas is about $2 per litre. Seems very well cared for and in great shape despite the many previous owners.

Really, really love the look of the C5 wagons but most seem to have been destroyed by <25 year olds wanting a fun car for a couple of months until it's time to actually take care of it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, reason prevailed. To be fair, if there had been proof of service I'd probably taken the gamble on it for the price ($3k) as it had inspection for >1 year and insurance etc was cheap.

The 4.2 seems worse from a servicing standpoint, needing the engine out for bigger services.

B6 A4s seems to have a similar aestetic. Stay away or good cars if I can find a decently cared for one?

Seems like these cars (like many cars of the era) have problems with the interor soft touch plastic wearing badly.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Skoda Octavias RS are pretty cool looking if specced right. Probably pretty fun as well with 4x4 and a higher end engine.

I found a nice looking 2011 (produced june 2010) B8 A4 Avant with 170k km with the 2.0 TFSI engine ("CDNB/CAEA/CFKA" according to wikipedia), manual gearbox and quattro. On paper it seems really nice. Since it's an E85 compatible engine the tax is like €100 a year, and insurance about €550 a year for complete coverage. The car itself is advertised for €8000. I know Audi is known for the oil consumtion of the engines - is this a complete deal breaker?
Finding a decent estate car that isn't too slow, has decent driving dynamics and looks good is much harder than I thought. I just got rid a a leased car because I don't drive much anymore, and don't need super low fuel consumtion. I'm also on the hunt for a car which has good thigh support (extensions), which seems to be mainly on German cars...

Edit: Reading up on it more a much safer bet would be a 2013 model when it somes to timing chain problems and oil consumtion. I must say though... maybe it's the Swedish market, but not having rear parking sensors as standard on a car made in the last 10-15 years is pretty insane.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 1, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of... How reliable are 1.8 and 2.0 TFSI engines in the B8.5 era when it comes to remapping? A quick google says that they can handle it, and most places here claim that about +50hp and +60Nm torque.

Been checking all the cars that are for sale right now and it seems that the dual zone (or perhaps it's acutally 3 zone) climate control (probably part of some package) is super rare. Leather seats are pretty rare as well, but sport seats with extendable thigh support is more common. To be honest, I'd rather have a smaller engine but be able to have air conditioning in the back seats (doggo and hopefully kiddo soon).

Monsoon Grey Metallic Avant with blacked out trim and sport suspension looks pretty drat nice.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 2, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's a very nice looking car! I'm generally not a fan on silver or grey cars, but there are some models that just fit those colours so well.

I've yet to find one local to test sit and test drive. How do you find the back seat space and the cargo space? I'm about 6'4" (192cm) so I'm a bit worried that whoever gets to sit behind me is going to have a bad day. To be honest though, I very rarely have passengers behind me, so don't think I should be buying a car based on that.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 3, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

EvellSnoats posted:

I (58) am 6' my son (25) is 6'3, dad (80) and brother (56) are 6'5. We all fit nice enough. It isn't my MB S430 or Suburban, but its not cramped.

The car is very low though, which I like but my dad and brother hate getting out of it. That might be more your issue.

Great, sounds like we'll have no problem fitting in the car! I don't mind the car being low, and perhaps my mom will mind a bit but should't be a worry.

This is a picture of the car I'm hoping will turn out to be decent and that hopefully will find the time to go look at.

1.8TFSI Quattro from 2013, so should be decently reliable. 110k km.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

EvellSnoats posted:

Pretty.i like the blackout more than I thought I would. Are those 19" wheels? OEM?

I don't think it's OEM as someone has also put an RS steering wheel in it as well and were probably going for a S4/RS4 look with after market rims. Unfortunately I won't have any time (>3h drive) to go see it until earliest in 2-3 weekends. Need to talk to the dealer first and get some more info like service history, tyre brands etc and so on before I go and see it.
I'm always a bit nervous of cars that aren't completely stock, but if everything checks out on a car with "low" mileage like that it could be bonus as rims and steering wheels etc aren't cheap.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 6, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

intheflesh posted:

I know this post was a while ago, but I owned a C5 2.7TT for about 9 years from 130k to 220k, and it was by far the most reliable VAG car I've ever owned. In that time, I replaced the control arms twice, which is an expensive thing but if you DIY it can be done for less than $1000. I have an absurdly low tolerance for anything wonky in my suspension so your threshold might be different. I also developed a misfire when ended up being the Ignition Control Module, ~$250 found it used, two bolts on the top of the airbox 10 minute job. I did the timing/headgasket/tensoners job which was ~1500 in parts, would have been a ~3000 job if done at a shop. Never did the car leave me stranded.

I don't know how the market is where you live, but here in the US the C5 platform is already deep into the "one weird guy at the end of the block owns 15 of them" status. Most of them have passed through normal hands and now those that survived and in enthusiast hands. If you can find a decent one from one of these enthusiasts you'll likely be in good shape. The issues with these motors are well known and the fixes are actually relatively easy.

The C5 Audis and E39 BMWs are both truly excellent family hauler platforms. I agree that a lot of them are thrashed from 25 year olds thinking they can afford a cool executive fast wagon they grew up seeing until they have to pay to keep it running, but I think these cars are now old enough to be kind of falling out of that "the best worst idea" category of enthusiast car.
One last point about your NAV issue: just assume every nav system of this era is going to be bad. We used to have a list at our dealership of NAV DOESNT WORK, and basically everything before 2010 is on that list.

Appreciate it! I think I'll have to leave these cars behind as they are very rare and haven't really found that status yet (probably because avants aren't as rare here as in the US). The only other one for sale is a 4.2L S6, which is nice looking but I don't think I can stomach the fuel consumtion for what the car is selling for. It was a very comfortable car though, and it made me really miss the rear visibility of older cars. The nav screen itself was the problem. It wasn't until we returned to the dealer that it was working. It slowly started to show more and more on the screen. I have a vague recollection of this happening on old LCD / TFT (or whatever they are) screens.
I also looked at E39s, but those are still firmly in the "get ruined by boy racers" territory. Also rust.

At the current fuel price of about $2 / liter I think I'll take the compromise and live with an 1.8T (and it seems like a Revo tune will easily make it produce a ton more if I want to). From YouTube videos it seems that it'll sit comfortably at autobahn speeds as well.
I got an answer from the car dealer on the above mentioned car that it has full service history and no damage that can't be seen on the pictures, so I'm probably gonna go there asap an see it (and find out that there is no service history and a ton of damage).

VelociBacon posted:

I've been itching a little to lower my mk5 GTI. I previously had coilovers on other cars but this time around I'm thinking about just using lowering springs. I see there's about a thousand options and I wanted to ask the thread:

1) Is it reasonable that I wouldn't need an alignment if they're just dropping stuff to replace springs?

3) For the fronts where the springs are over the struts, are there other components which will need to be replaced (or good idea to replace with the struts out)? Thinking like strut upper bearings etc.

I'd align it as you are messing with the stock setup and there might be a need for removing other components to access the struts. I've always done alignments after messing with the suspension. It's probably time for an alignment anyway due to wear and tear.

... which brings me to the second question. I'd change the upper bearing if they are anything like the ones on the FWD cars I've had. Cheap to swap (but can be a pain) and when they go they make super annoying clunks. When cold outside and at a stand still, they will bind when turning your steering wheel and make a big clunk. I'd also check if there are any worn suspension components while it's being done so that you don't have to do a new aligmnent later on. Alignments are like $150-200 here where I live in Sweden, so for me I try to replace as much as possible before doing one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Has anyone tried the after market kits to get android auto, carplay, fit backup camera etc?
Stuff like this: http://carsgadget.com/audi-carplay-android-auto-concert-symphony