Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's a sweet car. It's just too bad after we got it home I laid in the back and noticed the discolored headliner with clear water damage.

Hi so I just bought a 2015 SportWagen TDI on Friday feeling really good about the purchase. Found it at 28k with a clean CarFax report (was a corporate car) and it literally looks mint. Found this thread (I don't know why I didn't look earlier) and then I panicked after reading this and then found it in my own car (all it took was a little different lighting like from a cell phone and BAM--there it was). Fortunately, even though it's used, I brought this up to the dealer today claiming they sold me a car with water damage and whoo boy they at least sounded like they are going to bend over backwards to determine what's up and fix it (or buy-back the car). I go in on Monday for some third party dude to check it out at no cost to me. They claim they will either fix the issue (if there is one) or buy the car back. I think I'm going to request they redo the headliner and give me some all-weather mats while we're at it :v:

Thing is, I really do want this car as it is basically perfect. Had my eye on a SportWagen for a very long time and now that I have one that is a TDI that is essentially brand new my wife and I are very pumped. We did find another one just like it at 23k miles with one owner who was military that is sans sunroof, but I do say having a sun roof is very nice and this model is slightly nicer with the upkeep and wheels, etc. I really hope we can get things sorted out.

Is there any hope this actually gets fixed or resolved? I am super bummed and feel like a goddamned idiot.

When we are ready for a second car I think I am going to go for another TDI. Something about them that I just love. Perhaps it's that mix of gas mileage, torque, and knowing the engine is going to outlive the rest of the car. I intend on driving them until death or electric cars finally come hahaha nuclear war will happen anyway gently caress this earth.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Hey I thought I would give an update to my leaky sunroof situation. Fortunately it is a major success story:

So the dealer had a 3 day return policy. I threatened to return it based on evidence of water damage on the headliner. They kind of freaked out at this point since I specifically asked before purchase if it had any water damage (no is of course what they said).

After some back and forth and a few missteps on their part (they claimed to do a leak check and nothing came up—but then before I left the lot the radio went out with a distorted screen, I raised hell and pushed to leave the car behind) and here is when everything worked for me...

They offered to cancel the purchase, offer a similar car with my current loan, or a gentleman’s agreement on my terms.

What I wanted was just a guarantee that this car wasn’t going to be a waste—my wife and I really needed and wanted this car, loved the price, it is a 2015 tdi and had under 30k miles with a clean Carfax history. Great deal.

So I said they give me a free 2nd key fob, all weather mats, a free full detailing, and any and all maintenance issues and damage related to a leaking sunroof be repaired by them AT NO COST to me.

They agreed.

The the car leaked after it rained, as expected. I fully documented it and then a few weeks and parts later (including center console control module from the busted radio, new drain tubes and connectors, and a new headliner) I basically have a brand new car. The issue, as predicted, was the spot weld between the frame where the tubes pass through.

In short: gentleman’s agreements own.

I realize I probably SHOULD have walked away the first time, but it worked out better if you think about it considering the agreement.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 8, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Eh, its a written/signed binding contract to the dealer and upheld by the law in my state so I feel pretty good. The dealer is also an official VW dealer and is a major regional dealer so it seems the best I can get. Either way, yes I know I was probably overall dumb bu I made the best out of it.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 8, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Styles Bitchley posted:

A "gentlemen's agreement" is literally a nonbinding contract by nature so not sure what you got but glad there was some resolution.

Well this was written and signed by both of us (dealership manager and me) so :shrug: it is definitely not a verbal agreement.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Can confirm. My wife does a lot of highway driving and the fuel economy is baller. For family trips we can easily go 500 miles on one tank.

I wanted to buy a second one but we need to wait, financially. I eyeball them every day though because it's amazing the price.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 24, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The only TDIs using AdBlue are the Passat iirc.

My 2015 SportWagen has AdBlue.

Curious about the comments on highway driving.

Our SportWagen TDI drives about an hour round trip a day highway for the work commute, so it definitely fits what we needed it for efficiency wise. It is also our road trip car and getting 500 miles per tank is nice.

But what do you mean with around town? I haven’t been too observant on the mpgs in-town but when I just glance at the rating and gauge it doesn’t seem that bad. Still in the high 20s/low 30s with conservative driving.

Or are you referring to pollution?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 25, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

~my wife~ is stoked up about the panoramic sunroof how bad of an idea is it

Yeah dealer fixed mine and it works like a champ.

Tbh if you read about ANY car with a sunroof this is a possible issue. Not saying that makes it better, I am saying that its a risk for any car fwiw. Some just happen more than others.

But I love my car (SportWagen with pano sunroof) so I guess that’s how you get suckered for anything really.

Also fwiw: I have never met anyone that didn’t like their VW and I have a buddy who is an absolute Honda lover who is itching to get another GTI except for the fact that he has 3 kids.

Cars today are going to gently caress you over in some way with recalls or whatever. No brand is safe it seems. Might as well just get one you like for whatever reasons. Try not to be too stupid about it but at least maybe you know what to look for if you get one. Get a warranty or whatever.

Edit: do NEW cars have a factory warranty on it anyway? I would think it is covered under manufacturer defects. I bought used but you can find my story earlier in the thread. After the class action lawsuit and recall on early sunroofs I would hope VW straightened their poo poo out.

Also find an Alltrack community. There is deffo a forums community with Alltrack enthusiasts and mechs to help you.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah I 100% will avoid a sunroof in any car from now on. Good move.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Fwiw I love ours. I got a 2015 tdi though. Sunroof overhaul came with mine though. If you find one without a sunroof I would do it. I am pretty sold on the Golf chassis overall. Feels sporty but I like that it isn’t bulky and wasting space or my money. I drove a rental Subaru Outback (for comparison) for a couple weeks and I felt like it was a lot of unneeded bulk for what you get price wise as if it was there just to appeal to American buyers who wanted a bulky pick up.

I want a car, drat it!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Love my 2015 TDI SportWagen.

Even better after the sunroof was fixed :haw:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Can confirm if you are doing highway driving the TDI just own in mileage. If you use it like my family does you will enjoy it. Easily 600 miles per tank.

That is: 40 mile commute including return and all but 3 miles are highway and almost no traffic.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Anyone know if other cargo covers for different VW models will fit in a SportWagen?

My cargo cover doesn’t retract anymore and just looking online they are nowhere to be found. When you do find the OEM one from VW it is a ridiculous $300-$500 which is insulting. Ebay, Amazon, no luck—but tons of other models out there. Any help on bow to repair or replace is appreciated.

Part Number:
5GM86787145W

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have no idea. It just wont. I pulled it all the way out to see if I could get it to spring back and no joy. Tried to maneuver it back in by manually rolling the roller and no joy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Because in a weird twist the judicial system actually did the consumer a solid.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean you're gonna have a warranty and it clearly doesnt happen on of the cars they build with sunroofs. if it was happening often enough they would redesign their way around it.

I see you aren’t aware of capitalism and its utter contempt for the consumer.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I bought a 2015 tdi Golf SportWagen with a pano and my experience was well documented in this thread.

I got it fixed. I really do love the car. I mean, it is an awesome car
That fits my family perfectly.

But I check the headliner every. Single. Day. I. Get. In.

Waiting...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Probably in/on the wheel.

Setting you up for that clock spring error.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
We are slowly reaching the Cylon aesthetic and I am all for them ending this lovely timeline we live in tbqh.

:roboluv::awesomelon:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Fwiw I love the look of Lincoln sedans and their tail lights so I am okay with this.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So uh...

I want that GDI. When it come?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I would never trust a lifetime tranny fluid ever. I have a Pontiac G6 and at 100k I flushed and cleaned out my transmission fluid. Even though there were no chips and the fluid was fine I still believe the $150 or whatever is worth it to maintain a healthy transmission.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Well you know the engine has another 300k on it anyway 😀

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Maybe you gotta enter it like a German and put the house number first?

Idk

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Don’t mod your engine because this exact thing happened to my buddy and because he had dome some modding they didn’t have to honor the warranty. He was hosed.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think because a diesel engine is a much hardier engine, since diesel is a more powerful fuel. Also diesel engine combustion is a more efficient combustion. This is why they typically have more torque and also last longer. This is why they are better for towing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Any tips on purchasing crossbars and cargo boxes? I have a 2015 SportWagen and I do not like the idea that the official parts retail (for the crossbars and cargo box together) for about $700-800.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

get OEM bars and used everything else imo

The OEM bars are like some pin lock/key system. Do you all happen to know offhand if that is compatible with most other brands of cargo carriers and other equipment?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
So I see a LOT of VWs with sunroofs. I really want a Golf and I need to go used for price. I guess I am having a hard time learning my sunroof lesson but what are the chances of a golf sunroof leaking :v:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah I am just in love with the TDI and if I can find a 2015 with under 50k, CPO, I want to pounce. They seemingly ALL have sunroofs past 2012 as if it is standard feature.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I got lucky with my SportWagen in that upon buying it they agreed to fix any leaks all costs on them and they did. It took two tries but this second try is going well. I got a free headliner to boot. I even got a warranty letter and ‘voluntary recal’ from VW so I am still covered into December 2021.

I just don’t want to repeat that unless I can finagle the same deal with a dealer.

If you find the right car at the right price and the only thing bad is a sunroof it is really hard to not want to still go for it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My ‘15 SportWagen TDI with 40k miles had the coolant light go on after starting this morning. 90 degrees F and humid. I checked and the reservoir is below minimum.

Should I try to just add coolant or should I assume I have a leak? I have never had a coolant problem in any car ever, but because it is my first diesel and VW i figured I would ask. I have never noticed fluid below the car before. Did not check today because I was in a hurry and it slipped my mind.

I used my other car today.

If I have to take it to a shop can I even drive it there? Really don’t want to tow it, but REALLY don’t want to brick it.

I guess I always assumed a coolant system on every engine is a completely sealed system so wtf?

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Okay. It takes G16 and distilled water. Is this a fairly simple mix and pour? Or am I going to NEED to go to a dealer to get this poo poo?

I am asking if this coolant is fine from AutoZone, basically.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I guess I am asking if the coolant I can get at AutoZone is fine because if it just needs topped off every 40k miles I would prefer it be a more permanent solution in the tank, so to speak :v:. Sure, coolant is 20 bucks and water is 2 but if it won’t make a lick of difference in this quantity I guess that’s what I want to know before I get water.

Thanks for the help so far.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah my reservoir fluid is pink and online I see g13 OEM stuff but I don’t want to blend anything (manual says that is a huge no-no). Just hoping a retailer around here has it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Reading the manual says G12++ and G13 only. TL-VW 774 J is the factory coolant.

No one sells this that is local-ish it seems, where I can have it shipped not at gently caress you prices. My local dealers and the local VW/Audi shops are all closed today so I can’t even figure out if they will sell it to me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

No there is, but I was getting a lot of ‘this is not compatible’ messages plus as I was asking, I wanted to know if non VW OeM fluid was okay.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. I will. Then I will see if it goes down again and if so I will keep you all posted.

Appreciate the help.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks. I am just getting a bottle of VW OEM coolant from the dealer. 1 gallon pre mixed for $20. I don’t mind.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Update: no static leak for sure. Topped it off with about 12 oz. of fluid to the line. Ran the car for about 10 minutes until the engine was warmed up. Checked the tank and it rose slightly so it must have just been evaporation or a very small and slow leak.

Thanks for the help. Hope I didn’t seem too freaked out—I just never had a car that needed coolant. Oil/transmission/brake/wiper all have been topped off before but not coolant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Entertaining the idea of an e-Golf. As I start my research is there anything you guys would like to say about them?

Particularly a 2016 model with 40k (but any year is fine).

This would be purely a work commuter for me with a 20 mile round trip. The TDI SportWagen is our family travel vehicle (that also goes 45 miles round trip highway for commuting).